FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seven Pounds (w/ pre-emptive spoiler warning)

Author Topic: Seven Pounds (w/ pre-emptive spoiler warning)
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So, has anyone seen this movie yet? I won't give the spoilers in this first post, but any meaningful discussion of this movie is pretty much going to have to reveal them.

I really like Will Smith and think that he and Rosario Dawson had good chemistry, but the basic premise of this movie annoyed me to no end and entirely failed to move me. I just thought it was a manipulative film.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually a Will Smith fan, but this film had to be one of the most painfully boring I've ever seen. You knew from the first minutes exactly what would happen, and it proceeded to unfold in an entirely formulaic manner. There wasn't even any decent excitement or comedy to break up the boredom.

Oh - look, she's got a broken machine that means alot to her. Oh - wait, he went to MIT and is an engineer. Hmmm... I wonder what he's going to do!

Give me a BREAK!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in the "they were trying too hard" camp. Did we really need that many scene cuts trying to build suspense for an event that surprised no one? I even called the jellyfish when we did the aquarium flashback. Still not sure how the jellyfish didn't mess up the surgery.

I also took issue with the big love scene. If my sibling told me they were waiting for me outside, I don't think I could manage that. And I still want to know where the "I'll be right here" brother went. Pretty much nothing in that sequence worked for me.

I did enjoy the irony that he fell in love with the girl. It gave the movie a certain symmetry. That was about all I liked.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty much annoyed by it the whole time I was watching. One of the women I went with was bawling, and she said "are you people just hard-hearted?" I told her that I am a huge crybaby, but this movie just didn't do it for me.

quote:
I also took issue with the big love scene. If my sibling told me they were waiting for me outside, I don't think I could manage that. And I still want to know where the "I'll be right here" brother went. Pretty much nothing in that sequence worked for me.

LOL, I had some of the same thoughts. I mean, he said, "Don't make me come knock on the door." I kept waiting and couldn't understand why that wasn't the main thought on the Will Smith character's mind. As to where he went, I think he was still out there but Will went out the back when he left.

And when he lugged that jellyfish into the motel room, I just laughed and said "you're kidding, that's how he kills himself?"

But the main problem I had with it is that it was just not a very meaningful form of redemption to me. Living with the unbearably painful consequences of his actions while doing his best to make the world a better place would have been. I saw a comment someplace that it was based on a true story--anyone know anything about that?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
The only saving grace I can offer for this movie was the acting by Will. The scenes where he is close to tears but smiles anyway. He does sad and hurt very well. The rest though, as was said before, is formulaic and predictable.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.