FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You know more than me! Final Cut Pro thread!

Author Topic: You know more than me! Final Cut Pro thread!
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Questions answered! Tips exchanged.
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
What should i do first?
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Purchase a Mac?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Done. Got Final Cut Pro studio too.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Final Cut Pro? Some kind of movie making software?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand. Are you giving tips or receiving them, Danlo the Wild?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Step 3: Film something.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything you need to know, I can help you with. Ask away.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Is it best to pull a master clip into a bin first then edit it down with ins and outs?

I started out pulling masterclips into the time line and editing the clips there, but 3 min into project i was in trouble.

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

This is a matter of preference. I've seen some pull the entire clip into the timeline, leaving lots of space at the beginning, and then using the razor blade tool to cut out all the clips they want and place them in that space. That's what you were doing, right?

I use in/out markers in the viewer and then bring them into the timeline. When you drag the clip down, if you see an arrow pointing down, it will overwrite. If it is pointing to the right, it will displace whatever is already there. This is the beauty of non-linear editing. Once you've got a rough outline of your sequence laid out in the timeline, you can use all your tools to make further edits. Trust me, scroll, roll, and razor blade are your friends.

If necessary, you can make subclips by using ins and outs in the viewer, and then work with them individually. Just go up to modify at the top and select Make Independent Clip.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is a matter of preference. I've seen some pull the entire clip into the timeline, leaving lots of space at the beginning, and then using the razor blade tool to cut out all the clips they want and place them in that space. That's what you were doing, right?"

Hmm. How is he logging his clips? Is he using the in and out points (which I'm not very comfortable using, myself, yet) or just "capture now" at the part he wants?

I know I tend to just use capture now to get a manageable chunk, save it in the bin, and then put it in the timeline, then, as you yourself mentioned, resh, use the razor blade tool.

I usually can't stand putting too much there at once. I try to go from a few seconds to as much as a minute, but no more.

I'm still new, I've only been using Final Cut for a few months, but I will agree, scroll, roll, and especially razor blade tend to be my favorite tools.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.