FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Fountainhead

Author Topic: The Fountainhead
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I'm about 1/3 of the way through this book and I'm not sure I can keep reading.

Spoilers up to the first 1/3 of the book...

I saw that there are a few topics on this book but just in case I decide I'm not done, I thought I'd start a new one. I've put it down just after the second time Dominique and Roark have sex and it is that relationship that is disgusting me so much that I don't want to continue.

I mean, the book isn't exactly good anyway. I understood that it was an exaggeration and that the characters are meant to be more representations than real people. I understood that it was pushing objectivist philosophy and that I might strongly disagree with some of the things in there; which is fine. Sometimes I very much enjoy reading things I disagree with. And I was enjoying disagreeing with this book...especially the attempts to make something as subjective as architecture into a logical, correct, nearly scientific pursuit. I found that Roark's building philosophy was fine, though I wouldn't hire him since I think the "useless" building decor can be quite pretty.

But now we've moved on to something that I'm not understanding and maybe someone can explain it to me. Roark rapes Dominique...though she wanted it and he knew she did and she knew he knew. Somehow they have this great mind-reading thing going on which is convenient since neither one of them knows how to communicate and probably doesn't think communication is that useful of an endeavor. Then she writes an article, tries to destroy him, and tells him they're going to sleep together every time she does such a thing? Er....maybe I don't even want to understand this part of the book.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Rand had some issues.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
She definitely did. She felt that women ought to be dominated by men. I can't figure out how she wound up like that. She wrote an essay about how a woman should never be President. In Atlas Shrugged, when Dagny puts on a bracelet that Reardon made, Rand says that it symbolized the most feminine aspect: being chained. <shudder>

She had some serious psychosexual problems.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I found that part rather bothersome. In fact I wouldn't have done most of what Roark does throughout most of the book. I did get something out of reading it though. It made me think about the definition of a hero. Roark sticks to his principles and never sells out no matter what the cost. Even if I don't think what he does or think architecture merits violent reactions (and believe me, I can see some pretty fugly buildings from my bedroom), I can extrapolate the concept to the difference between what's popular versus what's right in far more serious situations. I think Rand underestimates the value that the pleasure of society can bring to you- in her (or Roark's) world it's black and white and Howard is all one color.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Well, at least I'm not the only one disturbed by that! Maybe I can try to ignore those parts of the book and finish reading.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed atlas shrugged, but didn't really like fountainhead
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the book, although I disagreed with it, when I read it the first time.

I was 15. Please excuse me.

The part I didn't like, which made me put down the book for almost a year, is the part you mentioned.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
In Atlas Shrugged, when Dagny puts on a bracelet that Reardon made, Rand says that it symbolized the most feminine aspect: being chained.

Are you suggesting that there is a more feminine aspect?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Do you post things like that just to demonstrate your "wit"?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
(or lack there of?)
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, duh. That's what the Dobbie login is for.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm just jaded. That part of the fountainhead didn't even phase me at all.

The book is one of my favorites.

Obviously I think the rape thing is stupid, but their are people who like being dominated and get off to that kind of fantasy.

Definitely wasn't the focus of the book or anything..

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it kinda WAS, and it bothered me the whole way though.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Obviously I think the rape thing is stupid, but their are people who like being dominated and get off to that kind of fantasy.
The people who are into D/s and bdsm tend to despise Rand and her take on sexuality because it was based on wholly sexist notions that relegated women to man's servitude and dominance for virtue of expected gender roles.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Actually, it kinda WAS, and it bothered me the whole way though.

Actually, it kinda wasn't.

You remind me a little of this story. The fact that it bothered you the whole way through is because you couldn't put it down.

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
The people who are into D/s and bdsm tend to despise Rand and her take on sexuality because it was based on wholly sexist notions that relegated women to man's servitude and dominance for virtue of expected gender roles.
I don't know what D and bdsm mean if I'm to be honest here. I don't really want an explanation either.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

D/S = Dominance/submission
BDSM = Bondage, discipline, sado-masochism

Christine
Member # 8594

I don't think it's the focus of the book but I have abandoned it anyway. I'm trying to do a 50 books in a year challenge and frankly, if it takes me a month to get through this book because I keep putting it down, it doesn't help me meet my goals. I may try again next year. [Smile]

That said, while it isn't the focus of the book it does seem to be a big subplot. There seems to be some disagreement about whether Dominique's desire to be dominated is a sexist thing or not.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
D/S = Dominance/submission
BDSM = Bondage, discipline, sado-masochism

What part of "I don't want any explanation" was hard for you to understand?
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Lanfear, let this be a lesson. If you give someone an opening to explain something to you, they just might do it even if you've asked them not to. [Smile]

Much safer just to nod wisely at the acronyms you don't want to understand.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.