FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where do I buy fake plants? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where do I buy fake plants?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, what on earth is wrong with you? You made a rude, judgmental comment from sheer ignorance based on a quick description. It is so patently inappropriate and offensive I am floored you are defending it.

And if it really strikes you as so strange, perhaps you ought to consider the possibility that I am not delivering the nuances of my interactions in the 50 words or less rather than jumping to the conclusion that I am mentally ill.

And your second comment was really beyond the pale. I don't know if you are socially inept or simply mindblowingly selfish and rude, but either way, your contributions are worthless and unwanted.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I think kat might not be at all unusual in that different areas of her life don't overlap very much. I think it might be quite common, especially for people who are introverted.

I'm not sure I can see any reason to call it unhealthy, based on the information provided. I think deception and secrecy can be unhealthy but I don't think that's what she was saying.

I agree that its not particularly unusual to have social circles or other aspects of your life that don't overlap much. Its not the lack of overlap that I consider unhealthy but I do think it is of concern if people are putting much effort into keeping things separate. For example, if the people you work with aren't interested in science fiction it would be a bit borish to talk alot about SciFi at work, but if you feel you need to hide the SciFi novel you were reading on the bus before you walk through the office door I would consider that unhealthy.

On the other hand, I can think of plenty of completely healthy reasons for wanting to keep ones office decor from being too personal. Offices are offen virtually public areas and it is not at all uncommon for complete strangers to knock on my office door.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Too bad your first instinct was to be rude and attack rather than considering that it is completely normal behavior you yourself share. I can't imagine what possessed you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Rabbit, what on earth is wrong with you? You made a rude, judgmental comment from sheer ignorance based on a quick description. It is so patently inappropriate and offensive I am floored you are defending it.

And if it really strikes you as so strange, perhaps you ought to consider the possibility that I am not delivering the nuances of my interactions in the 50 words or less rather than jumping to the conclusion that I am mentally ill.

And your second comment was really beyond the pale. I don't know if you are socially inept or simply mindblowingly selfish and rude, but either way, your contributions are worthless and unwanted.

Kat, I really did not intend to offend. Please don't be so quick to interpret everything I say as an insult.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Please consider what you are actually saying when you talk to me. There have been too many occasions when I have to assume that what you are saying isn't what you actually mean. And the second comment was definitely an insult. Or, again, if it wasn't, I can't imagine what possessed you to say that to me. You're a stranger, and that kind of remark is inappropriate, not in the least because it is made in ignorance.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Too bad your first instinct was to be rude and attack rather than considering that it is completely normal behavior you yourself share. I can't imagine what possessed you.

Kat, Calm down. You are over reacting. You will note that in so far as my behavior overlaps with yours, I find it emotionally unhealthy. it was not intended as an attack on you. If you weren't so quick to presume people were attacking you, I might have more reason to presume you were in good emotional and psychological health.

This will be my last post in this thread because I have learned from experience that you are a) never able to let anything go even when an apology is offered and b) never able to admit when you are in the wrong.

Bye.

katharina
Member # 827

Good. I want you to leave. It should have occurred to you that someone who prefers not to share her personal life with strangers doesn't appreciate strangers commenting on it.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

kat, At least I have the good manners not to call people I barely know at midnight on Christmas Eve to apologize for not calling earlier. If you really want to fight. Go ahead. You've given me plenty of ammunition over the years.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good. I want you to leave. It should have occurred to you that someone who prefers not to share her personal life with strangers doesn't appreciate strangers commenting on it.

Then why did you offer up that bit about your personal life, if you consider some people on Hatrack strangers? [Confused]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
I have come to learn that I am an exceedingly "out" fellow. Not as in homosexual, but as in I say what I'm feeling, to an embarrassing degree both on these public fora and in person (although not in court [Wink] ).

Despite that openness, I definitely compartmentalize. It's a way for me to focus on what I'm doing. If I were thinking about my girlfriend while arguing a motion, I'd probably start gyrating, which isn't the right motion to use in court. And if I thinking about a motion while arguing with my girlfriend, I'd probably … oh, well I always lose those fights anyway so nevermind. Anyway, above and beyond that, I run in disparate circles of friends, so I have to compartmentalize to keep the peace.

Also, I'm sure there's a reason why I am much more productive in the office than at home, and that it has to do with compartmentalization. Porter, I think you are the exception there (among the other ways you are exceptional :-* ).

This forum software really needs to be updated. Like, can't there at least be a read/unread thread feature?

Oh! I guess I'm a forum compartmentalizer too!

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
There is kind of something that almost works, which is the Jump to new posts link at the top of the page. It's not always good at telling where you were last IME, but it can help sometimes.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I imagine most people have a distinction between their public and private lives. I am also not surprised that Porter doesn't, because he (you) work at home. If you don't have to put on shoes to go to work, then you don't have to worry about the impression you're making with your office decorations.

I am also at a job where everyone I work with is much older and most are male. As much as I'd love a TARDIS playset, I wouldn't actually put it in my office until I'd established a reputation for being awesome and essential. Since I'm trying to build that reputation without distractions, I should probably leave the [insert personal items that reveal my character here] at home.

[ January 09, 2009, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious: why do you think the TARDIS playset would hurt your reputation?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Your question rests on false assumptions and a misread of my post.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As much as I'd love a TARDIS playset, I wouldn't actually put it in my office until I'd established a reputation for being awesome and essential. Since I'm trying to build that reputation without distractions, I should probably leave the [insert personal items that reveal my character here] at home.
Thanks for sharing. That actually makes sense.

You're right -- my particular work situation is almost the exact opposite. For years, I've been frustrated by the fact that I haven't had enough opportunities to share a little bit of myself with my coworkers.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. Why wouldn't you put a TARDIS playset in your office until later?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Since I'm trying to build that reputation without distractions
Because I want to build that reputation without distractions.

Four of the people who came by the congratulate me on getting job mentioned money and how it was a big jump and how that must be exciting for me, including my new boss. Twice. That's what happens when everything is public record.

Since I'm already about twenty years younger than everyone else, I want them to file me under "competent and skilled" rather than "young."

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

More importantly, where can *I* find a TARDIS playset?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I could totally tell you if I were at my old computer. There is an American supplier of all the Doctor Who stuff, but I don't have the link anymore.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Google Bookmarks: so you can have your bookmarks anywhere.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Yeah, I agree Rivka. While out of obstinancy I still call myself a Yahoo! man, Google really does put out some useful stuff (first).
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon has plenty of Doctor Who stuff.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Excuse me, you certainly haven't ever given us any other reason to question your emotional stability and psychological health.

quote:

This from a discussion about fake plants? [Angst]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

More importantly, where can *I* find a TARDIS playset?
I don't know where you can get a tardis playset but I have a tardis hub and I got it here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/9223/

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
Yeah, I agree Rivka. While out of obstinancy I still call myself a Yahoo! man, Google really does put out some useful stuff (first).

Yahoo and IE? How is 1997?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, that's more like 1999 or 2000. Everyone knows that Netscape Navigator was king before that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought hotmail was 2000, maybe it was 2001.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked my Hotmail inbox. I have an email in there from February 1999, so I know it's at least that old!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

How cool would it be to be the person who decided "Hotmail" would be a good name for an email service.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

According to Wikipedia, hotmail was launched in 1996 and sold to Microsoft in 1997.

Yahoo goes back to 1994.

The anti-trust suit against Microsoft for bundling IE with Windows went to court in the spring of 1998.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.