FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » awesome find!!

Author Topic: awesome find!!
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a library book sale and bought a copy of Shadow of the Hegemon. When I openned it I saw that OSC HAD ACTUALLY SIGNED IT!!!!!!!

It reads:
To Mike-It's good to be hegemon
Orson Scott Card

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Mike didn't like the inscription much...
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! You caught Card in another inconsistency! There weren't any hegemons named Mike, or Orson!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

Fess up Mike!

You sold a signed personalized copy of an OSC book? Crazy!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sold it? If it was at a library book sale then chances are he gave it away for free!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I can not imagine giving up my signed copies of my books. And then above the signed copy one that was inscribed. Since OSC will only inscribe 1-2 books at a signing (though the last one I went to he was nice and did 5 for me...only I think because he was impressed that I enjoyed the women of Genesis so much he inscribed all three of them when I only asked for Sarah to be inscribed).
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Okay.

Fess up Mike!

You sold a signed personalized copy of an OSC book? Crazy!

[Frown]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
well I like having it
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sinner. Right here folks. http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005061;p=0&r=nfx
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Whoa. I'm from Providence. I still have all my signed copies of OSC books, though.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, adenam; congratulations on your find.

I always wince when I'm in a used bookstore and come across a book that says something like "Happy birthday, Mike. This book has always reminded me of you" or the like. Did the gift mean nothing to the person? Does the gift giver always give that same book, year after year, with the same inscription in it? Did the receiver die, and have his collection dumped off at the used bookstore? Did the person who sold the book write that on the title page just before they walked into the bookstore simply to give someone like me a million story stubs?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.. Noemon, you way overthink this stuff!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Mike was probably a heroin addict and needed some quick cash for his next fix. Poor Mike.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mike, do I smell a confessional post?

DDDaysh, nah, it's fun!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I once found three books signed by Louis Sachar in an old cardboard box on the side of the road. I don't normally go digging through random boxes, but I'm glad I did that day!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Noemon did you see that regifting story where the person bought a book at a used book store that they thought someone (I think it was their boss?) would like? It turns out that it had already been given to the boss by someone that the boss hated (with an inscription to the boss) and the boss hated that person so much that they dumped it off at a used book store. (Where it was bought by the person posting the story and given to the boss again.)
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh :: I haven't seen that story, dean, but that's hilarious.

Hm. There's a good story in that*. Or a good element in a different story. ::muses::

*By this I don't mean "I'm going to lift the story you just related. It just gave me an idea for a different one, is all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.