FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Exercise and heavy clothes

Author Topic: Exercise and heavy clothes
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
These two in my mind go together about as well as embroidery and kickboxing.

I can understand sweatpants, sweatshirts, jackets etc when one is in a cold environment (such as outside in Ann Arbor right now) but once you reach the safety and warmth of the gym wouldn't you take off your sweater or sweatpants to work out?

I occasionally see similar things like people out running with long pants on when it's 90 degrees.

So... are there folks out there who enjoy sweltering as they exercise? (When you have a clear option to swelter less)

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
They do it to lose weight.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
By making their body use more energy in attempting to correct their temperature?

Or by sweating out the weight a la jockies or wrestlers(which in these instances I highly doubt is the case, as it would not be a cumulative weight loss)

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us are simply not comfortable enough with our bodies to expose them to others while we try to better them, even if that means extra discomfort.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also: I burn easily. I go out hiking, walking, whatever (I don't jog or run) in 100+ degree weather in turtlenecks (or mocknecks) and long pants (jeans or other heavy pants) because even with 5 layers of sunscreen on that is the ONLY way to not burn.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a university that is part college and part rabbinical seminary. It's funny, when I'm in the gym sometimes, one of the senior rabbis will come in and start working out in a full suit.

Makes me laugh...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Referring back to the perfect piece of clothing thread, I have a white long-sleeved oxford cloth dress shirt (Lands End) that has a little seam seperation where the yoke is attached to the left front panel. I use it to hike or ride bike in the summer. (Unless I wear my scout uniform) It is ever so much cooler than a short sleeved or knit shirt. I usually unbutton the button-down collar and turn it up. Combined with a broad-brimmed had, it is more effective than sun-screen and not nearly as messy. I've never tried hiking in a full suit. I'm not sure now the hydration pack would ride over the padded shoulders.

[ January 13, 2009, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Artemisia Tridentata ]

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get why being hot would help you lose weight. It seems like the heat in that case is coming from an external source, so you would just be losing water- which hopefully you will replenish. But if you were cold, then your body would already be burning calories to keep you from freezing, plus what you are burnign through working out.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:

Did you know there used to be a boxer called Kid Crochet?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh, also: I burn easily. I go out hiking, walking, whatever (I don't jog or run) in 100+ degree weather in turtlenecks (or mocknecks) and long pants (jeans or other heavy pants) because even with 5 layers of sunscreen on that is the ONLY way to not burn.

Perhaps you should check with a recreational outfitter to get a high spf shirt and pants that would be much more comfortable in the hot weather. There are lots of such items for backpackers who don't necessarily want to carry a lot of sunscreen.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
quote:

Did you know there used to be a boxer called Kid Crochet?
*ahem* Embroidery and crochet are two completely different "thread" crafts.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah. emboidery is an old lady craft until their eyesight and fingers give out and then they crochet...
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
yeah. emboidery is an old lady craft until their eyesight and fingers give out and then they crochet...

I should take offense at that. Instead, I'm going to laugh.

Around 2001, crocheting and knitting was something of a minor trend among college students at more schools than just my own.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:
Around 2001, crocheting and knitting was something of a minor trend among college students at more schools than just my own.

Hey, that is just about the same time we saw senior citizens go back to college to earn their degrees...
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I can understand sweatpants, sweatshirts, jackets etc when one is in a cold environment (such as outside in Ann Arbor right now) but once you reach the safety and warmth of the gym wouldn't you take off your sweater or sweatpants to work out?

I occasionally see similar things like people out running with long pants on when it's 90 degrees.

So... are there folks out there who enjoy sweltering as they exercise? (When you have a clear option to swelter less)

Boxers and wrestlers do it to "cut" weight, which is different than "losing" weight. The extra clothes, sometimes lined with plastic, is worn to cause them to sweat more. This is if they need to lose pounds quickly for a weigh in. They are essentially dehydrating themselves. Most people in the regular gym think that this will help them "lose" weight.

Also, carrying extra weight while exercising is like doing more work in the same amount of time. I weigh 245 and if I wear 10 lbs of clothes then I am working out at 255. My body has to carry more weight on the treadmill so I get a better workout.

Or what KQ said.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Boxers and wrestlers do it to "cut" weight, which is different than "losing" weight. The extra clothes, sometimes lined with plastic, is worn to cause them to sweat more. This is if they need to lose pounds quickly for a weigh in. They are essentially dehydrating themselves. Most people in the regular gym think that this will help them "lose" weight.
Since nobody else mentioned it, let me just offer my understanding that this is a bad idea and could cause heat stroke among other problems. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a terrible idea. People die that way, though the conditions are usually a bit beyond some heavy clothing.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Perhaps you should check with a recreational outfitter to get a high spf shirt and pants that would be much more comfortable in the hot weather. There are lots of such items for backpackers who don't necessarily want to carry a lot of sunscreen.
I have some. Their texture irritates me (I am very sensitive to the texture of my clothes.) And I still burn unless I have a couple of layers of sunscreen on, but they don't vent the excess sweat created by the sunscreen, so...
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Also people wear additional layers to prevent muscle injury. I know my high school track coach always advised wearing warm ups during practice any time the weather was less than 80 F. In my experience even when my core is warm my hands, feet and legs may still be cold even at 'ambient' temperature of an indoor gym. However not all people are the same and I generally have poor circulation, but wearing sweatshirts and long pants while working out indoors can prevent a pulled muscle. Here is a study on rabbits showing passive temperature reducing muscle failure. Of course if it is 85-90 it would not be smart to wear sweats, but at an average indoor temperature of 68 not everyone feels warm even while working out.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to keeping muscles warm, wanting extra weight, and wanting to sweat out water weight, people work out with extra clothing because your metabolism is slightly elevated.

I mean, I personally don't, but I know plenty of people who do. I wish I could work out in less clothes than I currently do (shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

I realize how bad and dangerous it is to try to change your weight via sweating, I was saying it almost sarcastically in this case (because who would do that to themselves unless they had a lot to gain (i.e. jockey, wrestler(they check a lot for it now, though, I believe, horrible issue with wanting to feel slimmer)

Adding weight to oneself would somewhat make sense for biking outside or running, but on the stationary bikes at the gym I don't see it as changing much.

Scholarette, the reason being hotter would use more energy than being a comfortable temperature is that sweating is an active process and uses energy. So if you were sweating more it would be using a bit more energy.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if your core body temperature goes up while exercising you tend to feel less hungry afterwards, so if you're trying to lose weight, it helps a bit. This is why swimming is such a bad way to lose weight (although a great form of exercise in general) - you stay cool enough that you're starving after your workout in the pool.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.