FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flu Question

Author Topic: Flu Question
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my best efforts of even sleeping in a seperate room, my wife caught the flu from me. Just about being recovered myself, am I immune to that strain now?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding and experience that your immune system has been ramped up during the flu. Now that you are getting over it, your cells may be a bit exhausted. While you may have developed immunity, your cell population might be low enough that it can't effectively fight off the infection again so fast. Immunity would mean that your cells recognize the particular strain and build up an effective response much faster than the first time you got it. However, if your cell population is low enough right now from spending all their energy on fighting off the infections, you could still get a second bout of the flu. I would still be careful for at least a few days to allow your body to fully recover.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it is possible that 1. Either your immune system was not effective in building up immunity to that strain or 2. The flu virus mutated just enough when it went to your wife or your wife has a different strain altogether
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
It kind of depends on what you mean by flu, also. If you're using it in the generic sense or to describe a stomach illness, no, you could easily get another illness. If you're using it to describe genuine influenza (respiratory illness with fever, body aches and cough), you're far more likely to have immunity.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I showed this to an internist who said you still have antibodies to this particular strain but are much more susceptable to anything else because you are still weak.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
I showed this to an internist who said you still have antibodies to this particular strain but are much more susceptable to anything else because you are still weak.

I did come down with a nice cold. Definitely getting the flu shot next year.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.