FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disney's going viral

Author Topic: Disney's going viral
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you 23?" - http://www.disney.com/23

Anybody have any idea what this is about?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this sort of mystertising is so uninteresting to me. The first few times, maybe, six years ago, it seemed cool. But nowadays, I would so much rather that they just tell me what they're selling.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
23 Blu-Ray releases?

Meh.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Jordan is getting his own Disney show? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Space Jam 2????
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this is exactly what they want you to do.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
ElderGoodlet saw "find out March 10th" before the page rolled to the countdown timer. That's a Tuesday. Not the normal day for a movie release, and I can't see Disney marketing a book this way.

Plus it's at 00h35m right now. Which means noon Eastern/11:00 am Central. So I'm thinking a new TV show that's going to be premiering that day.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Tuesday is DVD release day, isn't it? So maybe a straight to DVD?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's an improvement- for a while, there, Disney was somewhere between a mold and a bacteria.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixar turns 23 on the 30th, but January 30th is not March 10th.
Disney was founded in 1923.
The first 6 digits of pi are 23, but pi Day is March 14th, not the 10th.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Tuesday is DVD release day, isn't it? So maybe a straight to DVD?

But why NOON? And I did forget about Tuesday being DVD day as well as new book day.

Edit to add: Just got a text message from a friend that Pinocchio is being released to DVD on 3/10. I can't think of how to tie that into 23, but it is Disney news that takes place on that day.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a new tron movie being worked on, maybe it has something to do with the dvd release of the first? I'm not sure what 23 would have to do with tron...but it's disney.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
Space Jam 2????

Fingers crossed!
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
Space Jam 2????

Fingers crossed!
Sorry to bust your bubble, but wrong studio: Space Jam was Warner Brothers.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
A Tinkerbell flew up and zapped the date, so I'm thinking its the start or the next Tinkerbell Movies direct to DVD.

Or it could be Disney's gone into the Adult Entertainment business, and they want to make sure that anyone watching "Bambi meets Bimbo" is well over the age of consent.

What I really need is a site I could check occasionally where the people will report any changes in an almost compulsive way every 12 hours.

Oh--yeah--that's what Hatrack's for.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
What I really need is a site I could check occasionally where the people will report any changes in an almost compulsive way every 12 hours.
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27403
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Tinkerbell flew up and zapped the date, so I'm thinking its the start or the next Tinkerbell Movies direct to DVD.
I'm doubting this. Tinkerbell just happens to be the resident wand-wielder and spokespixie.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
:yawn: The second Disney does anything, it loses its edginess and becomes representative of corporate orthodoxy... at least that's how they make me feel.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You know, this sort of mystertising is so uninteresting to me. The first few times, maybe, six years ago, it seemed cool. But nowadays, I would so much rather that they just tell me what they're selling.

It's been a lot more than 6 years.

When did IKEA first come to L.A.? That's the first significant "big secret coming!!!" advertising campaign I recall. And it has to be 15-20 years ago.

Yeah, looks like that was 1990.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I imagine the trope has been around for untold ages- just reinventing itself in different forms for different media.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Probably. The 1990 IKEA campaign was billboards, radio spots, TV commercials, and newspaper ads.

No significant Internet presence, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, when did advertising reach the internet? 1995? I wouldn't know because the first online thing we had was probably aol in about 95-96.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, prior to the Internet, this sort of phenomenon was harder to keep self-sustaining. You had to take out television spots, for one thing. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You're saying the tele-bloggers wouldn't pick up on things as quickly...?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The thing is, prior to the Internet, this sort of phenomenon was harder to keep self-sustaining. You had to take out television spots, for one thing. [Smile]

True. Although the IKEA campaign was ~90% billboards -- and there was a fair bit of speculation about them in the various "about town" sort of newspaper columns and the like.
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks to me like they will be announcing the 23 classics being released on Blu ray on that day. With the first of the 23 being Pinocchio.

Edit Typo of 213 instead of 23

[ January 21, 2009, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Lostinspace ]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the Tuesday before we go to Disney for vacation.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

The employees at The Disney Store had no clue what was going on when I asked. Seriously, deer in the headlights, blank stare lost in space.

The sad thing is that telling them "March 10" didn't even create enough of a spark to get them to try and presell me Pinocchio.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
"Are you 23?" - http://www.disney.com/23

Anybody have any idea what this is about?

Nope, not until June.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The sad thing is that telling them "March 10" didn't even create enough of a spark to get them to try and presell me Pinocchio.

Yeah, they probably have about twelve other promos to worry about before that one finally comes around.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

This from a Disney forum I frequent.

"There is a running theory that Disney is going to announce D23 which is being rumored to be an exclusive club you can buy membership into that has gatherings and meets and merchandise and such"

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Also, I recently discovered that March 10th is also the Disney stockholder's meeting.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:

"There is a running theory that Disney is going to announce D23 which is being rumored to be an exclusive club you can buy membership into that has gatherings and meets and merchandise and such"

Yeah, excellent, buy a membership to a club that allows you to buy things.

Speaking of which, how much does the disney forum membership cost?

brojack17
Member # 9189

It's not an official forum, it is put on by a travel agent in Orlando. It is primarily about Disney planning.

http://www.explorethemagic.com

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

It's been a lot more than 6 years.

When did IKEA first come to L.A.? That's the first significant "big secret coming!!!" advertising campaign I recall. And it has to be 15-20 years ago.

Yeah, looks like that was 1990.

Working in advertising I hear this story A LOT:

quote:
I was but little back then, but I remember when the first Star Wars ad campaign started. It was I think 1976, a year before the movie came out.....

Black screen. Some voices. Sounds. Is that a dogfight I'm hearing? What is this?

"Star Wars"

Cut to black. No "coming next summer." No studio logo. Nothing. It created a huge buzz. What was that all about? A few months later, they had a few shots, just a couple, if I remember correctly. By the time the movie came out, everybody was really curious about this hugely anticipated movie, and lines went around the block.

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:

BINGO. I just got an email from Disney officially announcing the new D23 Club. The membership fee is $75/year. I'm kind of afraid to look any further than that... I can't afford to find myself going "ooh oooh ooh want".
brojack17
Member # 9189

You get a special gift, a magazine, access to buy special stuff, and access to a special gathering.

Not worth $75/year to me right now.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh! I was hoping for D23: The Mighty Ducks Go To The Olympics.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I want Beauty and the Beast. I have a feeling that won't be out until 2011 though (20 year anniversary).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

D23 Charter Membership = $75.

Free shipping in the US.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a rule that manufactured mystery must build up to something interesting.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.