FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer help

Author Topic: Computer help
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife was off today, at home, all alone, trying to play Spades with her mother over the internet.

Suddenly things freeze up and go south. She fears some kind of cyber virus. She tries to close down the programs, but everything just seems to freeze.

So she calls me at work, and unplugs everything.

Then when she tries to get it back up, she gets an error message. We are running Windows XP Pro. The "system" file in windows/system32/config directory has been corrupted.

The CD's of XP pro have vanished during our move last year.

I have a CD from my portable--for XP Home, but all it wants to do is re-partition the drive. Won't that kill all the pictures and data we have on that drive?

Any ideas?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Basic steps I would suggest would be to try and start in "safe mode" and run an anti-virus? But maybe it's too late for that...

re-partitioning the drive may not erase everything like formating will, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Anyone more help than me?

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem and lost everything. So um, good luck I guess.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Repartitioning is *more* destructive than formatting, though you don't want to do either if there is data on the hard drive that you don't want to lose. You're probably going to need to find another XP Pro disc and try using the "Repair" option in the install.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked on Windows website, this link should be helpful. It promises to save your data atleast.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The "system" file in windows/system32/config directory has been corrupted.
Xann linked to the article I was going to use. [Smile]

Corrupted registry file. You can try to restore that registry hive from a previous 'restore point'. If you can do this, then Windows should boot up and you'll have access to your data. You'll probably wind up reinstalling Windows quite soon. (In fact, once you salvage your data, I'd recommend it.)

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem.

My dad is in software development. He sat at the computer for 2 hours doing random things and saved the entire computer. Worked great for another year.

Not that I have any idea what he did - but there is hope!!!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer caught a virus this weekend. I followed the steps at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial101.html

(I didn't make that a link because I think it's probably better that you can see where I'm sending you.) I think I've gotten rid of all of mine, but I caught my own virus yesterday so I haven't had a chance to go over everything with a fine toothed comb yet.

Just be careful looking at their list of programs that start automatically. I got rid of something I shouldn't have, and had to reinstall. I didn't lose any data, but I came really close to screwing things up for myself big time.

ETA: Okay, so it made it a link anyway. Whatever.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Repartitioning is *more* destructive than formatting, though you don't want to do either if there is data on the hard drive that you don't want to lose. You're probably going to need to find another XP Pro disc and try using the "Repair" option in the install.
The first thing I would try, and this has saved more then one computer I have worked on, is to:

• Open the command prompt ("Start-all programs-accessories-command prompt" if you don't know the shortcut)
  • Type in "chkdsk c: /f /r" without the quotes where c: is your primary hard drive letter
  • Choose YES when it asks if you want to do it on restart
  • Restart machine and let it do it's thing

If you absolutely cannot get it to log on, then MattP's idea is probably the best. If you can't find a disk you can take out the hard drive and put it in another computer that is powered off.

When you turn on that computer your hard drive will probably have a different drive letter--like e: or something. Open the command prompt and type in "chkdsk e: /f /r" without the quotes where e: is your hard drive letter that needs fixed.

A long time ago, before everything went to sata, I bought a cheap usb external hard drive and took it apart. I could then easily swap hard drives in the the external USB hard drive and plug it into my computer to either fix them or rescue data.

My last piece of advice is to make a Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. Having that on hand is very handy.

If you don't have a XP disk to make the GUI version, you can download directly the original version which is used via the command line interface.

If you get either of those boot disks you can find the tool (like check disk) to fix errors on your hard drive.

Note about "chkdsk c: /f /r" :
"chkdsk" checks the disk for errors
"c:" is the drive letter of the disk you are checking.
"/f" fixes errors on the disk.
"/r" attempts to recover data on bad sectors and put it on healthy sectors. (implies /f).

*There are spaces between those fields.

EDIT

quote:
I think I've gotten rid of all of mine, but I caught my own virus yesterday so I haven't had a chance to go over everything with a fine toothed comb yet.
The nice thing about UBCD4WIN is that when you build your disk you can update like 3 or 4 anti virus programs, as well as adaware, spybot, and a few others. Sometimes running antivirus from the computer won't delete the bad file because it is in use, even in safemode.

If you boot from UBCD4win you can run those tools on your computer with confidence that the malicious files won't be in use.

[ January 20, 2009, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.