FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chemistry question: Exercise your searching powers...

Author Topic: Chemistry question: Exercise your searching powers...
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I would like to stress I am not trying to get you to do my work for me, just asking for ideas and such.

For my organic chemistry lab we are supposed to propose a 3-step synthesis of a chemical. The proposed synthesis is supposed to be supported by journal articles showing the proposed steps.

so, does anyone have any awesome ideas for molecules responsible for particular scents (spearmint, strawberry, banana, things like that). Or that have some other interesting property. A pheromone? anyway.

Ideally it should not be deadly poisonous, and should be a solid at room temperature.

K, just curious to get some ideas for things to try to look up how to synthesize.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Esters are responsible for fruity scents. Try looking up "ester synthesis" or "esterification". It should only take all of 5 minutes to find out the steps involved.

They're not solid at room temp though. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they're liquids.

It's a fun synthesis, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so, does anyone have any awesome ideas for molecules responsible for particular scents (spearmint, strawberry, banana, things like that). Or that have some other interesting property. A pheromone? anyway.
This is a sitcom waiting to written.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, pheromones haven't been found in humans. It could be a sitcom about insects or something, though...
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And most pheromones are not solids at room temperature either.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want it to be solid at room temperature? Is this part of the assignment or a personal preference?

Artificial banana flavor (isoamylacetate) is a common synthesis done in undergraduate labs but its only one step synthesis and its a liquid at room temperature.

In fact I think you'll find that most esters are made in a one stop synthesis unless you have to first synthesize the acid or the alcohol.

BTW, scents, pheromones and anything that acts on a person in vapor phase, has to have a significant vapor pressure at room temperature, which usually rules out the possibility that they will be solid at room temperature.

If you want something that is solid at room temperture but has interesting affects on humans, I'd go for something with analgesic properties like N-acetyl-para-aminophenol.

[ January 23, 2009, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.