FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canadian TV

Author Topic: Canadian TV
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
So after Lisa got me hooked on Being Erica, and I have long been hooked on Corner Gas, I was curious. Anyone recommend any other Canadian shows we don't get in the States?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I can recommend 90s Canadian shows, but I'm not sure if they're still running...
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
The first season of Blue Murder was pretty good if you like cop shows.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. I have seen Corner Gas ... well, I've seen parts of it; I've never been able to sit through a whole episode ... and (how can I put this politely?) I've always wondered whom, exactly, that was aimed at. Like, who would have that sense of humor?

(I'm assuming it's supposed to be a comedy. Maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe there's something else that hooks people.)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Oh, wow. I have seen Corner Gas ... well, I've seen parts of it; I've never been able to sit through a whole episode ... and (how can I put this politely?) I've always wondered whom, exactly, that was aimed at. Like, who would have that sense of humor?

(I'm assuming it's supposed to be a comedy. Maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe there's something else that hooks people.)

Definitely a comedy. I've only seen the first season, but I laugh all the way through every episode.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
ReGenesis (drama)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that I haven't been too impressed with Canadian TV in general. I'm thinking of Due South and the first season of Earth:Final Conflict as pretty much being it from my POV.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Stargate Atlantis?

Oh oh OH! There's this Canadian oriented SWAT show on I think thats alledgdly good.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I don't think Stargate Atlantis would count since its still produced by Americans. If you counted every show that was simply filmed in Canada you would quickly grab a huge number of science fiction shows like BSG, The X-Files, Jeremiah, and so forth which is a bit silly.

However, as a SG:A connection you can see a young Dr. Rodney MacKay on "Traders" (a Canadian show about a fictional investment bank) which was a guilty pleasure of mine back in the day.

Edit to add:

Looks like someone has grabbed some clips of him, oh yeah ... thats the stuff
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LzdmyfV5wkA
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmA8VJubKk

[ January 23, 2009, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Slings and Arrows - Awesome.

Little Mosque on the Prairie - Silly but fun.

Tom Stone - I've only seen a couple reruns, but it looked interesting. I was able to pick it out as Canadian within 30 seconds of seeing it for the first time (without any obvious references). Not quite sure why.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I second Slings and Arrows. Very good.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
is Hewitt a major character on Traders? I'll watch it if his appearance is regular.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

Oh oh OH! There's this Canadian oriented SWAT show on I think thats alledgdly good.

I was going to mention this. It's called Flashpoint and it was actually picked up by CBS and is airing on U.S. network television now. It's a really great series. It's got Enrico Colantoni (Veronica Mars, Just Shoot Me) in it as a negotiator.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Hewlitt was a regular, but not really a major character AFAIK. That person on youtube seems to have collected all of his appearances for the first season though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.