FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » dual booting WinXP and Win7

Author Topic: dual booting WinXP and Win7
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been interested in running another OS on my Thinkpad for some time but I've never been able to make enough room on the hard drive. Now that I have an extra 750 gigs to work with, I think I can finally make some space.

If I add another partition and install Windows 7 on it, could I configure it to use certain user folders (the ones under C:\Documents and Settings\MyLoginID, i.e., "My Documents" and "My Music") on the WinXP partition? I'd also like to run Thunderbird/Firefox/MS Office/various games/etc from the XP partition without worrying where temp files and data files are stored (I'm assuming 7 is backward compatible.)

Can it be done?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Dual booted now -- looks like it won't work, though.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Windows 7? Is that Vista?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 7 is the next one after Vista. It's currently in Beta.

Word is that it's pretty good, but that could just be because it's being compared to Vista.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
JTK, Windows 7 uses the same user profile scheme that Windows Vista uses. There is no longer a Documents and Settings folder. It's located under the "users" folder instead. Takes a little getting used to as well.

In order to have both partitions see the same data, that data needs to be saved on a third partition which holds only data. You can modify XP to point to that drive to hold its user data by following the instructions here.

In Windows 7 (assuming the general UI is similar to Vista), you can right click on any folders in your User folder, click properties, and then change the location to save and view files from the My Documents folder on the third partition. This should get you what you want, but I haven't yet tried this myself.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I've been playing around with it for a few days; it's really nice.

OpenGL support seems to be lacking, though. One of my projects drops to about 1 FPS -- a slideshow. Not sure why.

--j_k

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.