FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google logo - mayfly today only

Author Topic: Google logo - mayfly today only
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what is today's Google logo commemorating?

http://www.google.com/

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Jackson Pollock's birthday.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I figured it was something like that. Thanks.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Welcome. For reference, if you click on the logo it takes you to a google search explaining it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you hover, it just tells you what it is.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Another hurrah to google for trying to bring cultural education to the cyber world [Hat]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have to ask because I've been gone awhile. Why does everyone keep putting 'mayfly' in the titles of their threads?
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Because they "may fly" away. (Get deleted by the OP.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
So, what is today's Google logo commemorating?

http://www.google.com/

It looks just like the standard Google logo to me. Are you sure you don't mean yesterday's Google logo?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Originally posted by BelladonnaOrchid:
Ok, I have to ask because I've been gone awhile. Why does everyone keep putting 'mayfly' in the titles of their threads?

Mayfly

quote:
The adults are short-lived, from a few minutes to a few days depending on the species.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Gah! No! It's as maui babe says.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
In context, it means don't post anything that you'd going to regret losing, because the poster has announced their intent to delete the thread after its useful life.

So, this thread should be gone in about 5... 4...

Hmm, completely missed Rivka's post somehow.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i never understood this concept. Why delete record of communication just because it's usefulness has passed? I wouldn't delete a 10 page indepth discussion just because the discussion ends. it's not like we have thread clutter here. If the thread stops being useful, people stop posting and it slips off the main page.

no offense maui babe, this isn't about your thread in particular, but about the whole concept of mayflies that i never understood.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The vast majority of mayflies don't end up getting deleted, oddly enough.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Gah! No! It's as maui babe says.
Sorry. I didn't mean that was where the name came from.

I was being whimsical . . . should've used a [Wink] .

Strider
Member # 1807

actually, maui babe's mayfly was probably the most useful I've seen, since it was actually referencing something that was time specific.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

[Blushing]
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Mayflies often refer to questions, nowadays.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

yeah, it does seem to have turned into more of a "hey, i have a quick question i need answered" type of indicator. i'm fine with having a nomenclature for that. I just don't like the idea of "hey, i'm going to delete this thread for no apparent reason some time in the near future" though obviously everyone is entitled to do that.
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the explanation. I get it, now. Although I will say I agree that it's kind of silly to delete a thread after it's usefulness is exhausted.

After all, Jackson Pollock's birthday will come again next year, and what if someone wants to know what the Google logo means then? [Wink]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I think I'll leave this thread. I found it useful to know that you could click or hover the graphic and find out what it was commemorating (although I really should have tried it before posting here. Duh.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.