FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speaking of Avatar/Airbender

Author Topic: Speaking of Avatar/Airbender
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just started watching the show and as it is with most shows the first episode for me doesn't nessasarily reflect the rest of the series, the first episode I found wierd and very american like, but as the series progressed I began liking it so much more, where to begin? Having Lord Aku as Iroh was pretty good, George Takei as a cameo role, the main & recurring characters get very interesting for me.

Katara was my initial favorite character once she got all bad ass and learned how to use "mizujutsu", like confident badass women in shows who learn how to get strong and not just start out that way.

But now the Blind Earth Bender girl (Toph I think) is my favorite, the series spends alot of effort into detail I find and absolutely entranced by how they animated her, how she does her moves and when she talks and interacts with people she looks like shes really blind and not just a character with white looking eyes.

Soka is interesting and reminds me of Church from Red vs Blue and I like it when they spend some effort on him.

General Iroh is one of my most favorite characters for his dead pan humor and seeing a more humble version of Aku, I hope he gets alot more usage, its a shame his voice actor died, I was hoping for lose ends to be finished with Samurai Jack.

I like Zuko as very Kuchiki ish, he plays the role of symphathetic antagonist well but seems to keep moving from lawful evil to neutral evil a little often.

Azula is also interesting and her ability to wield lightning is fascinating, I hope I see more of her.

The shows ability system of "bending" is interesting but is sad that it seems to be something that is stuck to only one person at a time with 1 exception. To me it would be alot more fufilling if bending was something anyone can learn, but the difference in skill only comes in when someone learns more then one element type.

What would make the Avatar himself special is the ability to master all four while prodigies could only master 2 and maybe some ability in a third making mastering a fourth impossible and thus making it THE point.

Evil antagonist wants to become master of all 4 elements? Alright well theres these crystals that can do that... (short and evil route) while it is up to the Avatar as the paragon of good to combat those who seek the quicker and dark path.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Toph just keeps making me happier and happier.

"Let me know if you find something you can listen to" referring to books, Brilliant!

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Avatar is one of my favorite tv series. In my room, as I type, right above my desk is a big Avatar poster.

My sister goes to sleep each night snuggling a plush Appa doll and a Momo too.

I think all the characters are brilliant. Iroh is amazing, though Katara was probably my favorite overall. The character development and the relationships of "Team Avatar" were just a pleasure to watch.

Im so sad the show is over :-(

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My sister goes to sleep each night snuggling a plush Appa doll and a Momo too.
aawwwwwwww
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Katara was my initial favorite character once she got all bad ass and learned how to use "mizujutsu", like confident badass women in shows who learn how to get strong and not just start out that way.

Soka is interesting and reminds me of Church from Red vs Blue and I like it when they spend some effort on him.

The shows ability system of "bending" is interesting but is sad that it seems to be something that is stuck to only one person at a time with 1 exception. To me it would be alot more fufilling if bending was something anyone can learn, but the difference in skill only comes in when someone learns more then one element type.

What would make the Avatar himself special is the ability to master all four while prodigies could only master 2 and maybe some ability in a third making mastering a fourth impossible and thus making it THE point.

I. *can hardly contain herself* Katara - Just wait until you get to the end. You'll love her all the more just because of her finale.

II. Soka is my personal favorite, even though he annoyed me to no end in the beginning of the series. Love him to pieces now.

III. The bending system is very similar to how humans work with furies in the Codex Alera books(Jim Butcher), except in those, people CAN 'master' more than one fury, and those can be of different elements. Sounds you might at least appreciate the fury system more. [Smile]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:

II. Soka is my personal favorite, even though he annoyed me to no end in the beginning of the series. Love him to pieces now.

III. The bending system is very similar to how humans work with furies in the Codex Alera books(Jim Butcher), except in those, people CAN 'master' more than one fury, and those can be of different elements. Sounds you might at least appreciate the fury system more. [Smile]

I'll second Soka as a favorite, he definetly got more likable as the series progressed.

Also just finished Princep's Fury yesterday. Good stuff.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trent Destian:
Also just finished Princep's Fury yesterday. Good stuff.

Argh. I'm 70 pages from the end and just need a decent chunk of time to finish it! Lunches at work never go well. Someone inevitably seeks a conversation, and it's kind of rude to ignore them in favor of a book, no matter how badly you'd like to do just that!

This one has had me biting my nails more than any of the previous four. Those Vord freak me out.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"It is now time for you to ask yourself the big questions, WHO are YOU? What do YOU want?"
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Watched the Fire Nation dancing episode, it was awesome.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"SERIOUSLY PEOPLE! WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!? I'M BLIND!!!" Because people keep saying "Look at this Toph!"

I <3 Toph

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.