FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Animated Stereograms

Author Topic: Animated Stereograms
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
A coworker randomly stopped by a few weeks ago to ask me if I could see "those magic eye things" that you see on calendars or in books. We got to talking, because, yes, I can, and because she'd just learned how.

She stopped by again today to tell me she had a dream in which she went to a movie that was supposed to be 3-D only instead of glasses you had to "magic eye" the film. We got to laughing about that, but there really are animated stereograms out there (though I doubt a lot of frustrated people, unable to view them, would ever pay money to see full-length features). I'd never come across one until today after doing a little search. Pretty cool.

Check It Out
This one is a little tougher.

There are others if you follow the sidebar for the animated stereograms.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Those make my head hurt. I'll stick with 3D glasses [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty cool.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, nifty. Thanks!
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I always hated those magic eye things, because I could NEVER see them. And I can't see the second one you posted. The horse I found, but not "descent." GAH.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are creepy..........
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
That second one bears striking resemblance to some nightmares that I've had...moving/falling through a hall or tunnel with those crazy colors, looping around and around without control...*shudder*

But the others are awesome!

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I also can't focus my eyes anymore.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the regular ones better. I've actually found a few that I couldn't see, but most of the time I can.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The second was easier for me to see than the first, but after I saw the second, I went back and was able to look around in the 1st.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the second, but I couldn't tell you what it is of without knowing.

I can see all stereograms within a few seconds. I just cross my eyes and then adjust them until I see the picture. Usually I lean in and then pull my head back, too, but I don't have to do that.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
That was freaky cool [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there were more (and more complicated ones, like Descent; the ones that are so simple that you can basically see them without focusing differently are less fun for me)!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
That second one bears striking resemblance to some nightmares that I've had...moving/falling through a hall or tunnel with those crazy colors, looping around and around without control...*shudder*

Right there with you. Had this crazy dream once where there was some revolution going on in a place akin to the Forbidden City, only my aunt was wife to the emperor. Anyway, that's beside the point. By the end of the dream, despite attempting to get her and her kids out of the city to safety, I ended up in this tunnel system below the main palace that was kind of like Descent being chased by monkeys that sort of looked like the Barrel O Monkey things, only psychedelic colors. Very creepy.

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I can see all stereograms within a few seconds. I just cross my eyes and then adjust them until I see the picture.

The eye-crossing method usually works for me, too, within seconds. It helps by allowing you to look beyond the picture. Funny how NOT focusing is how viewing works!

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I wish there were more (and more complicated ones, like Descent; the ones that are so simple that you can basically see them without focusing differently are less fun for me)!

I agree! When I went searching for some of these animated ones, youtube brought up a video to "Magic Carpet Ride" that turned out to be a scrolling through of normal stereograms. How frustrating!
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked "Descent" the best. Makes me want to go find that game and play it again.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ashamed to admit that I cannot see "Descent," no matter how hard I try.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, is there any way to pause them that I'm missing? I can see static stereograms really easily, but it's a lot harder to unfocus my eyes when the thing is moving. The ones that took a long time to load worked for me, since I could get it before it started moving.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.