FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need "driving in New York" advice. Help!

Author Topic: Need "driving in New York" advice. Help!
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be in New Jersey the last week of February, and plan to spend a Saturday bumming around the Times Square area in NYC.

Problem: I've been to NYC before, but stayed on foot. I've been on the subway there exactly once. We'll have a rental car, but don't know what the driving/parking situation will be like. Help, help!

We won't need the car once we're there, everything we want to see is within a few miles of Times Square.

Are we better off to take public transportation from NJ (Neptune city, near Asbury Park)? Drive near the border, find a place to store the car and transit in from there? Prepay for parking near Times Square and go for it? We have no clue.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would take a train into the city. I'm from CT, and I've done that a few times. My mom grew up in Jersey and used to take the train into the city a lot when she was a teenager. I just wouldn't even want to think about driving in the city, especially if you aren't even planning on being there overnight.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't drive in, driving in the city is a nightmare, parking is impossible, and the public transportation works great. Just park it somewhere in Jersey and take the train in.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree. Take the train or the ferry into New York and use public transportation from there. I live in New Jersey, and I have no fear of driving in the city, but parking is a hassle and expensive, and if you are unaccustomed to city traffic, you may find it to be nerve wracking. When I go into Manhattan, I much prefer to take the train or the ferry.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not drive in NYC if you paid me. A lot.

Listen to them.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Drive in NYC? Are you out of your mind?!?

The only way I would ever do that is if I was driving an Abrams tank.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I would not drive in NYC if you paid me. A lot.

Listen to them.

Rivka, I'd drive you around NYC if you paid me. Let me know when you'll be in town, and we can negotiate a rate.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I drove into Manhattan when we were there several years ago. I don't remember it being that bad. Parking was pretty expensive, though.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
My brother and I drove into Manhattan when we were there several years ago. I don't remember it being that bad. Parking was pretty expensive, though.

My brother and I drove into Manhattan when we were there several months ago (to see a concert in Madison Square Garden). I don't remember it being that bad (slow, with a lot of honking). Parking was pretty expensive ($40, but in a great location), though.

[Smile]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't make a right turn on red. It's illegal anywhere in the five boroughs.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk: Drive in NYC? Are you out of your mind?!?

The only way I would ever do that is if I was driving an Abrams tank.

I'm using my tank this weekend so the best alternative is to use public transportation.

I've driven in NYC a few times, and that has a lot to do with why I now drive like a champion. But, as you can see by Rivka's reaction (and she's from L.A.), driving in the City is not to be undertaken lightly.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
True story:

I was with my cousin and his family in New York City the night of Christmas Eve. We had a big ol' station wagon and we were both riding in the back. I'm guessing I was about 12-13.

First of all, keep in mind that in Manhattan the lanes painted on the street don't mean anything. Four painted lanes doesn't prevent six car lanes and a horse-drawn carriage from cramming in to any given street.

We were stopped at a light in the middle of Manhattan, at the front of the pack, when a beggar rolls up to the driver's window in a wheelchair. My cousin's father gave him some loose change and he rolled on.

When the light turned green, the first row of cars makes a break for it as fast as they can.

Looking out the rear window of the station wagon, we could see the six rows of headlights charging at us as we raced ahead. Directly in front of them, in the middle of the street, we see the silhouette of a man in a wheelchair, frantically rolling the wheels like a madman, trying to stay ahead of the steamrolling wall of cars that showed no hesitation in wanting to mow him down.

He must have raced in front of the pack of cars for two blocks before he got a break at another light. He was never given the chance to veer to the sides as he was in the middle of the road; the side traffic near the curbs had already accelerated to ludicrous speed.

We were almost expecting him to jump out of the chair and run to the curb.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgardu
Member # 242

- posted      Profile for edgardu           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of suggestions for parking - I'm sure there are a lot of other options but these 2 I've done before. Look up NJ Transit park and ride for a full list of locations.

Journal Square PATH station, Jersey City. Take PATH train to New York - $10 or less I think for 12 hrs.

NJ Transit North Bergen park and ride just outside of Lincoln tunnel. If I recall correctly $7 for parking and bus ticket. For first timers, getting your ticket here could be confusing - you pay once and get a single ticket for both parking and the bus ride.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I believe Nighthawk's story. NYC drivers are MEAN. They don't even pull over for sirens!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

From Neptune/Asbury park, it's about a 35-40 minute drive to Belford or Highlands, where you can take a ferry to Manhattan. The ferry ride is pleasant, and that's likely your quickest and most economical route.

Driving to Jersey City or to the Lincoln Tunnel will take over an hour, plus there are tolls, and lots more traffic.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my voice to the don't drive in Manhattan chorus. Even Andrew, who grew up there and drove his entire senior year of high school, only does it when it's unavoidable. When we drive up, we stash our car in a garage and take public transportation or cabs.

Have fun! I'm envious - I haven't been back for more than a year and it looks like we won't be going any time soon.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Not for nothing, but New York City has the best drivers anywhere, their skills honed by the challenges. Any monkey can drive on a lonesome highway through the flat middle of the country, no curves, no traffic, no distractions. It is city driving that tests a motorist's mettle.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
New York City has the best drivers anywhere, their skills honed by the challenges.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.