FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Don't be an asterisk"

Author Topic: "Don't be an asterisk"
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck does this mean. It was just on in a superbowl commercial. It's about not taking steroids so you won't "become an asterisk" I assume it's something like your name will say John Doe*

*(not playing because he is on steroids)

Yeah. I'm a bit confused though, because the actual meaning was unclear.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a reference to placing asterisks besides a player's name in the record books if they test positive for performance enhancing drugs.

It's never actually been done, to my knowledge (although track is the closest to having done it). People are always talking about it with respect to Barry Bonds.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of Peter Wiggin's fear of only being a footnote. Or something like that.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a Vonnegut reference.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
It means this post is awesome*.

--j_k

*except not

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I took it as a reference to the homerun ball that Barry Bonds hit that was purchase by some rich guy. He had an online vote and people wanted an asterisk branded into the baseball before it was given to the hall of fame.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/sports/baseball/27ball.html?ref=baseball

Excuse the grammar.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
At my school an asterisk next to your name is used to represent high honors. Maybe they dislike the idea of getting stuck in college sports and never making it to the "big leagues" therefore promoting steroids.

Yes, that must be it.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
It's a reference to placing asterisks besides a player's name in the record books if they test positive for performance enhancing drugs.

It's never actually been done, to my knowledge (although track is the closest to having done it). People are always talking about it with respect to Barry Bonds.

Sort of...
It comes up any time a record is broken in a controversial manner. The earliest instance I know of comes from when Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's single season home run record. Since the season had expanded from 154 games to 162, there was a bit of a controversy over the record. No record book ever actually did put an asterisk next to the record, but there was talk about it. Wikipedia credits sportswriter Dick Young with popularizing the idea.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Oh, that's a hot riot.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe an asterisk indicates something Orincoro would hit.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Oh, that's a hot riot.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty common reference in sports. It's become part of the lingo. An asterisk next to a thing denotes that it is of questionable legitimacy, even though technically it's on the books.

People used to talk about, for example, the San Antonio Spurs NBA championship in 99 as being an asterisk championship, due to the lockout.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Nah, there aren't enough of them.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of a reader's comment in Dave Barry's "Book of Bad Songs" regarding the song

"I love you period
Do you love me question mark" (etc.):

"This song hurts my :. I want to kick the author's *."

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Nah, there aren't enough of them.
Mmmm, you may be right.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like there was an episode of "King of the Hill" where Peggy and Hank are demanding that an asterisk be put next to some Arlen High kid's "record-breaking" amount of touchdowns.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.