Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scrubs

Author Topic: Scrubs
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or is the latest season much higher quality than the one before? I mean, the characters are more developed and mature - while retaining their humorous quirks - and the new set of interns are actually interesting. A bit extreme, yes, but interesting.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's better.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Muppet cameos were funny.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely better than last season. I'm not liking it as much as the older seasons, mostly because of the one dimensional interns.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little more edgy. They seem to be taking more chances. I don't know if it's because NBC was more conservative or because it's the last season, but the difference is noticable.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Be forewarned: spoilers and general rantiness follow.

I say that it would be hard to be worse than season 7. That out of the way, I'm not happy with this season at all. The first couple of episodes were great. Since then the show has become almost painful to watch. It reminds me of something that, I think, Belle said in her Twilight thread, about "Breaking Dawn" reading just like bad Twilight fan fiction. That's how I felt about these last few episodes of season 8. They've taken the characters and forced them out of character. Like, ZOMG, Jordan and Cox are hugging and smiling! Cox and Kelso are buddies now! JD and Elliot are having a healthy, adult relationship! Cox is Chief of Medicine, essentially choosing a promotion and more money over being able to take care of patients! (Because he has to think about himself for once, right? Um, no.) The only ones who are still in character, IMO, are Turk, who luckily is still awesome, and Carla, except that Carla has been relegated to giving morals and looking annoyed. Well, maybe that's the bulk of what she did before.

I wouldn't mind these changes in the characters if they had some sort of plot points beforehand to justify such drastic changes in such a short time. And they're all happening at once. It's like they're trying to "fix" everyone before the series is over for good.

And what is up with Janitor? He was funny before because they let him adlib at will, and then inserted a gem into the show here or there. It was awesome because it was always brief and unexpected. Now there are two-hour adlibbed monologues from the guy in every episode. (You may say it's impossible, but that's how it feels to me.)

And the running gags. Please, no more running gags. No more muffins. We get it. Free muffins for life. ABC seems to be trying to resurrect every funny thing that has happened in the last seven seasons for one last huzzah. But Scrubs was never big on gags that ran out of one episode. And the ones they did have (like JD always picturing women in a sexy way the first time he meets them) were more like general themes. Until this season, where they pointed it out and screamed, "See what we did here? JD pictures women being seductive! Did you miss that before?"

Sigh. I'm sad. At least I will say that JD is infinitely less annoying this season than in the last couple of seasons.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the beard, guys, definitely the beard.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, get out of my head!

I miss classic Scrubs. I have the first few seasons on dvd but haven't bought the newest two because I really don't want to rewatch them.

Part of me thinks this season is better but I think last season killed it for me. I find myself flipping during commercials and forgetting to come back.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the beard does help.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they don't seem to be trying to lower my respect for one of the main characters even more every episode this season, so that alone makes it a lot better.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
They say that we'll find out the Janitor's name in the finale. Any guesses? I'm still holding out for "John Dorian".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I was convinced that his real name was Janitor. But it's almost too predictable to be likely. John Dorian is funny and less obvious. It could work.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually loving this season alot more then 7, every episode Ive been laughing hysterically.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this season better than six and seven, so far. I like the less goofy JD, and the way they are starting early with the rap up for the series.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh, look. I'm five minutes into episode 7 and they're rehashing the old "synchronized hospital actions/sounds" gag. I'm sure I would have laughed if it hadn't been:
1. Funnier/more touching the first time; and
2. Way too freaking long.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
odd, my memory must be going out as I dont remember them doing it any other time.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Check it out.

Elliot even flicks the syringe. I can't tell if they're "paying homages" or being derivative, but it's ticking me off.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Great clip!

Its so weird to watch season one because it seems like almost a different show. Just look at JD and Elliot in particular. They've become more like caricatures of themselves and it makes me sad.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think that clip is a completely different joke. Yes, it uses the same kind of music but it's making a different point.

I do think the new season is a lot better. The characters have always been caricatures, but they're well developed characters. Yes, they've matured a lot. Season 7 was largely about that. I particularly like how JD's stepping up to fill Dr. Cox's old shoes.

quote:
Cox is Chief of Medicine, essentially choosing a promotion and more money over being able to take care of patients!
Um, no? The alternative is to let another Courtney Cox-like character who doesn't care at all get the job. He's not being selfish, he's making a sacrifice.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Did he say that? I mean, if he did I honestly don't remember it. Wish I could find a clip on youtube...I don't want that dirty ABC player. Not to mention the fact that I'm using Linux.

quote:
I actually think that clip is a completely different joke. Yes, it uses the same kind of music but it's making a different point.
My point was that most of the scenes/jokes of this season invoke very strongly images in my mind from previous seasons. That's not a good thing, in my opinion.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't so much said as implied. Anyway, choosing more money is not an inherently evil choice, and it did show that he has finally gotten to the point where self-sabotage is not his perpetual default.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
They've taken the characters and forced them out of character. Like, ZOMG, Jordan and Cox are hugging and smiling! Cox and Kelso are buddies now! JD and Elliot are having a healthy, adult relationship! Cox is Chief of Medicine, essentially choosing a promotion and more money over being able to take care of patients! (Because he has to think about himself for once, right? Um, no.)

I'm not sure I agree with the whole forcing out of character thing. Cox's changes have been quite progressive. They may be a bit more accelerated right now, but he started to "soften" back with the birth of his son, in season 2. And I think the trials with his daughter have helped explain it further. There is something about this season that's bugging me, though I can't really put a finger on it. The flow seems sort of off, I think.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of the characters are relatively believable coming out of last season. Except Jordan, she's been a bit too... accepting and supportive. Cox taking the job works though I think, for the reasons that Raymond Arnold said.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I don't know...maybe I just missed a lot because of my sporadic watching of the last season. I think I saw most of the episodes, but it wasn't linear, and I didn't enjoy them enough to remember them really well. Maybe I'm missing out on a bunch of stuff that would explain what seems like leap-frogging over sharks to me.
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow-I've almost completely missed the last few seasons, relying largely on reruns, which generally don't show very recent episodes.

I found the last season horrific, at least the episodes that I did see.

I think it's good that they're wrapping things up now-it makes so much more sense than the complete and utter lack of buildup many shows have, or at least minimal buildup with an explosion at the end, leaving you unsatisfied.

It holds that stigma that many children's stories [and, i suppose, adults' as well] where the bad guy gets slain on the next to last chapter, with a final "and they lived happily ever after" message.

It's virtually impossible, at least with mainly comedic shows, for the characters not to become caricatures of themselves.

I present Family Guy as my main case, and even shows like mad TV and SNL, that, while they don't have definite storylines, have definitely decreased drastically in quality as the years went on.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.