FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An early review of Pixar's UP

Author Topic: An early review of Pixar's UP
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Semi-spoilerific...

Blah-blah Great Voice Talent Ho-Hum Dazzling Animation Yadda Yadda Funny Jokes Ish-Ka-Bibble Fantasical Adventure.

We're onto your formula, Pixar! *shakes fist*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
They seriously just need to replace "Best Animated Picture Award" with "The Movie Pixar Made This Year Award"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, hubris.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Is-Ka-Bibble a real phrase? I thought I made it up in 7th grade (or maybe co-made it up with a friend), but maybe said friend heard it elsewhere.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mythbusters has forever spoiled the flying-with-balloons thing for me. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Raym, Here's the wikipedia on Ish Kabibble.

Zach claimed he made it up, but then found it in a very old "Captain Marvel" comic book, which he showed us. The actual quote from the comic book was "Ishkabbible Hatrack." I don't have any idea what the context was.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God I actually remember that.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Mythbusters has forever spoiled the flying-with-balloons thing for me. [Frown]

Didn't they prove that it was plausible? Not to mention that there's documented proof of someone actually doing it?

quote:
They seriously just need to replace "Best Animated Picture Award" with "The Movie Pixar Made This Year Award"
I think that, when it comes time to create the Oscar statuettes, they should just send one to Pixar no questions asked. We don't need the category; lord knows the ceremony could use some shortening!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing just how feasible it is to take flight with balloons spoils it for you?
I love the fact that I know what it would take to fly myself with balloons.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The fact that it's impossible doesn't make you sad, or are you light like that little girl?
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's plenty possible.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I thought the result was that it only worked on a little girl, because there was a limit on how many balloons you could fill up fast enough to lift a grown man. (Larry the Lawn Chair guy was using Weather balloons, which would work but aren't what's being used in Up™, from what I understand)
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fantasy cartoon, not a science documentary. Pixar is fudging things in favor of a stunning visual. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, their result was that they had to fill a whole warehouse full of balloons, in order to lift a 3 year old girl.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
It's a fantasy cartoon, not a science documentary. Pixar is fudging things in favor of a stunning visual. [Smile]

Oh I'm not doubting that at all. Just commenting on the discussion of real world physics and whether Mythbusters ruined our childhood fantasies or not.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's highly possible and is evolving into a sort of hobby called cluster ballooning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_ballooning

Here's the article on the original Lawn Chair Larry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters

Which actually claims that Mythbusters tried it with weather balloons and showed it was possible. One of the shows members rose to 30 feet on a tether.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The only mythbusters that I know of that disproved a myth with helium was filling a rubber raft, and throwing a football full of helium.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.