FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with a 1776 quote and John Dickinson

Author Topic: Help with a 1776 quote and John Dickinson
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure any 1776 fan remembers the line in the movie where Dickinson says something along the lines of 'most men would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor.'

I'm trying to find out if that line is actually based on something Dickinson said or not. I'm betting not, but I don't have time to hit the library to do an extensive search for Dickinson quotes, nor do I expect anyone else to. If anyone happens to know off the top of their heads, that'd be helpful. If not, it's not a big deal at all. I'm doing a paper on Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick and how they represent American capitalism, so, the line isn't necessary, it'd just make nice window dressing for the paper.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The quote from the musical is actually "most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor." However, I sincerely doubt it is based on an actual Dickinson quote.

(And actually, it was cut from the original release of the movie.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just queued that movie in my Netflix instant queue.

*sings*
Sit doooooown John! Sit doooooown!
*/sings*

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

For God's sake, John, sit down!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
The Very interesting story behind the "Cool, Cool Considerate Men" cut
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread got me started looking for John Dickinson quotes, and I came across this song he wrote:

Come, join hand in hand, brave Americans all,
And rouse your bold hearts at fair Liberty's call;
No tyrannous acts shall suppress your just claim,
Or stain with dishonor America's name.

Chorus:
In Freedom we're born and in Freedom we'll live.
Our purses are ready. Steady, friends, steady;
Not as slaves, but as Freemen our money we'll give.

Our worthy forefathers, let's give them a cheer,
To climates unknown did courageously steer;
Thro' oceans to deserts for Freedom they came,
And dying, bequeath'd us their freedom and fame.

Chorus

The tree their own hands had to Liberty rear'd,
They lived to behold growing strong and revered;
With transport they cried, Now our wishes we gain,
For our children shall gather the fruits of our pain.

Chorus

Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all,
By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall;
In so righteous a cause let us hope to succeed,
For heaven approves of each generous deed.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
The Very interesting story behind the "Cool, Cool Considerate Men" cut

They talk about that, and a couple of the other cuts if you listen to the commentary on the DVD.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The quote from the musical is actually "most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor." However, I sincerely doubt it is based on an actual Dickinson quote.

(And actually, it was cut from the original release of the movie.)

Hey I was pretty close for not having seen it in awhile. [Smile]

And I keep forgetting that he says that during Cool Considerate Men and that that song was cut from the original. I'm used to both the Broadway soundtrack and the extended DVD version I have.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The extended DVD version is still cut. I think it's the verse with "but no, you gave us Congress... good God sir, was that fair?"
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, which is on YouTube, but not the DVD.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Really? It's on YouTube? I thought it was totally lost. Cool, I'll have to check it out.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Here you go.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not really related, but if you're in Pittsburgh its well worth going to see Frick's house and the associated car collection.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Next time I'm in Pittsburgh (I've only ever driven around it, never been to it), I'd love to see Frick's house and the Frick building, which he built specifically to put Carnegie's building in his shadow. Talk about vindictive. What other Carnegie and Frick related things are there to see there?

Lisa -

Is there anything else from the DVD that was cut? I almost didn't realize that that had been cut because I'm so used to the Broadway soundtrack now, which has the full version of the song in it.

They said in the DVD commentary that he had to chew on ice before each take, because it was so cold outside his breath was showing in the air and it was supposed to be the dead of summer (obviously).

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Here you go.

Excellent! Thanks.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Lisa -

Is there anything else from the DVD that was cut? I almost didn't realize that that had been cut because I'm so used to the Broadway soundtrack now, which has the full version of the song in it.

That's funny. That's actually how I noticed it was missing from the film. It was so jarring when a chunk of the song was missing.

So far as I know, it's just that song which was chopped up and Cool, Considerate Men which was cut entirely and then replaced. I don't know if they failed to replace the parts of Fiddle Twiddle by mistake or on purpose.

quote:
They said in the DVD commentary that he had to chew on ice before each take, because it was so cold outside his breath was showing in the air and it was supposed to be the dead of summer (obviously).

Wow... I love hearing those behind the scenes things. Like Gene Kelly having a horrible cold during the Singing in the Rain scene.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I love the behind the scenes stuff. I love finding out what lines in movies and shows are ad libs.

I think my favorite little tidbit is actually from Holiday Inn, where Fred Astaire his this scene where he's supposed to do a dance number drunk, and before each take he apparently drank a small glass of bourbon and progressively got drunker and drunker. The take used in the movie was the 8th and final take.

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure any 1776 fan remembers the line in the movie where Dickinson says something along the lines of 'most men would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor.'

I'm trying to find out if that line is actually based on something Dickinson said or not. I'm betting not, but I don't have time to hit the library to do an extensive search for Dickinson quotes, nor do I expect anyone else to. If anyone happens to know off the top of their heads, that'd be helpful. If not, it's not a big deal at all. I'm doing a paper on Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick and how they represent American capitalism, so, the line isn't necessary, it'd just make nice window dressing for the paper.

Thanks in advance.

Can't find anything to confirm this quote at the Dickinson College library.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Did you actually go to the library to look it up?

If so, that was WAY more effort than I was expecting or asking for and I really, really appreciate it. If not, either way, thanks for the confirmation!

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm less interested in whether Dickinson said it as WHO DID? Was it just written for the play?

I've never been very good with google searches to start with, but I tried googling the whole quote, and key words from it, and everything led back to the play.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Teeny bit random, but anyways, I just got back from participating in a model UN and when voting for a resolution the delegate from India abstained courteously. It was awesome [Big Grin]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Did anyone laugh?
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent him a note. Does that count?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's interested, it's on right now on TCM, until about 7:20.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.