FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA: Students: Don't pay to file for financial aid!

Author Topic: PSA: Students: Don't pay to file for financial aid!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Any time a financial aid form or agency tries to charge you a fee, warning bells should go off.

This one is particularly tricky.
quote:
Faye A. Ara, executive vice president of operations for the firm, said the company is not trying to trick people.
Uh huh.

Suuuuuuuure. [Roll Eyes]

[ February 23, 2009, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure they are just horrified that some people thought it was official and the fee was mandatory. Shocked, too. Shocked!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nor can they understand why anyone would think that was an official government seal!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And not if they call you on the phone either!
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or are some of these scams worse than simple theft?

The guy who will steal your hubcaps is saying he doesn't respect your right to your property.

The guy on the phone asking for your credit card number so he can help you get a scholarship wants to steal from you too, but he also wants to abuse your trust and insult your intelligence.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I paid my mom $10 to fill mine out for me, I was scammed, she said she would have taken $5
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.