FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Classic Movies

Author Topic: Classic Movies
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been, as part of my school curriculum, watching a lot of old, good movies lately.

Movies such as The General, Sherlock Jr., City Lights, Sunrise, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, It Happened One Night, Scarface, etc.

Later movies too! The Verdict, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Annie Hall, The Graduate, Blade Runner, Psycho, others too.

So, I suppose I should get to the point. I've been wondering what good movies everyone here has been watching for years, which I haven't had the chance to see yet.

In my quest for good American and foreign movies, I'd happily take suggestions. I'd appreciate the help!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Citzen Kane and Casablanca are two great classics. I laughed a little as I ready your list because to me most of these movies are not truly classics yet.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
City of Angels
Peter Pan (2003)
The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
Three Days of the Condor
The Sting
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Thelma and Louise
12 Monkeys
Blues Brothers
Animal House
Groundhog Day
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Breakfast Club
Leon (The Professional)
Singing in the Rain
Gross Point Blank
Good Will Hunting
Anastasia (animated)
Ratatouille
The Thirteenth Floor
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Buckaroo Banzai across the Eighth Dimension
The Sound of Music
Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we have a thread about this a few weeks ago? I remember writing down quite a few of the movies mentioned so far.

Ah, here it is:
100 movies, 100 days; help me pick some movies to watch

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Seven Samurai
The Shawshank Redemption

Absolutely nothing better.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Arsenic and Old Lace recently and loved it (and Cary Grant!) even though I usually hate old movies.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
The Shawshank Redemption is worth as many watches as you can possibly manage in your lifetime. *nods vigorously* Good suggestion, Javert.

And I just saw Arsenic and Old Lace on Sunday and really enjoyed it, too!

If you're open to musicals... I'm a big fan of Singin' In The Rain and Westside Story as well as Thoroughly Modern Milly.

Clash of the Titans and The Dark Crystal were considered classics, if only in our house. [Wink]
(edit: had to delete a wandering 's' in there)

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to put some Charlie Chaplin on the list and a Shirley Temple or two.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert's Great Movies. He's nearly at 300 now.

I'm working my way through, and they are great. Recent ones I've watched from this list that I love: Network, 12 Angry Men, the General, Annie Hall, Aguirre the Wrath of God.

[Edit to change link from an auto print to just a list.]

[ February 10, 2009, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: The White Whale ]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad they made you watch It Happened One Night. As far as I'm concerned, that's still the absolute gold standard for romantic comedies. And considering that it's 75 years old (this month!), I can think of very few movies that have aged better.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I've always been a huge fan of The Sound of Music.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The Philadelphia Story, as I've said umpteen times on this forum. Classic (and classy) romantic comedy w/ Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
White Christmas and Holiday Inn.

Christmas classics.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and My Fair Lady.

::Audrey Hepburn fan::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You beat me to Charade and Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
Swingers.

More so if you're a college age male.

Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"You've got to put some Charlie Chaplin on the list and a Shirley Temple or two. "

I did put City Lights.

And this isn't a list of "classic movies" that I've seen, nor is it anything like an all inclusive list. It was just a few I could remember off the top of my head.

" I laughed a little as I ready your list because to me most of these movies are not truly classics yet. "

Yet? How old do you have to get for some of those silent films to become classics? The old 1930's Scarface isn't a classic? Psycho? Annie Hall? The Graduate?

But anyway, it's just some of the movies I've been watching in class. (I've watched a lot of others recently, too!)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. There are a number of movies I haven't seen mentioned.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Chaplin
And justice for all
The Warriors
The Hustler
Chinatown
Death of a Salesman
Tootsie
Fargo
Kramer vs. Kramer

(So I have a Dustin Hoffman problem, sue me)

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.