FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Peanut butter and . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peanut butter and . . .
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the peanut butter I eat is pretty much straight out of the jar, followed by milk. I rarely use it as an ingredient. :/
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have found a new appreciation for peanut butter living in a dorm as I now do.

My favorite method for eating it would be: Sandwich, with jelly or honey or banana.
It also spices up ice cream, or pretty much any dessert.
Also, basically any candy involving peanut butter (reese's etc)

I have little preference for either chunky or smooth

I have discovered that eating pineapple directly following peanut butter makes it not stick to your teeth, and I assume the same goes for ?anything acidic? hmmm

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful. Jelly is acidic.

But fresh pineapple has an enzyme that denatures many proteins. Might do something to peanut butter.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Quid: a fluffernutter is a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich.

That just sounds so... I mean, on its own, with chocolate, probably quite good, but between two slices of bread? Why ruin it?

And yeah, forgot about peanut butter and apples. Yum! Or bananas. Double yum!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Quid: a fluffernutter is a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich.

That just sounds so... I mean, on its own, with chocolate, probably quite good, but between two slices of bread? Why ruin it?
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter and honey, oh yummy. I end up in a sugar coma after eating it. When I come out of the coma, I go for seconds.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter and lettuce sandwich, with raisins.

Sounds strange, but my grandpop (who's got old-fashioned plain cooking tastes) is the one who told me about it. And it is pretty good. You get the crunchiness of lettuce, the sweetness of the raisins, and the creaminess of the peanut butter all mixing together quite nicely.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to put potato chips in our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My best friend when I was a little kid loved that. I didn't like it so much but went along because his enjoyment was so convincing. [Smile] It did give them a nice crunch.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I have no idea what a Fluffernutter is.

Me neither but it sounds fun.
You are a naughty boy. Someone really ought to deal with you.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:

For me, it's peanut butter, lettuce and mayonnaise. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now that's just weird.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:

For me, it's peanut butter, lettuce and mayonnaise. [Wink]
Actually, that's just weird enough to perk my interest... I might try that tomorrow. [Angst]
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ketchup?
I know that was aimed at me... But the only way I'll eat the two is if the peanut butter is in a Thai-style peanut sauce on noodles. Then, that's good stuff.

I am not much into peanuts or peanut butter but I do like no-sugar-added pb with dill pickles on whole-wheat toast. Mmmm.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, if you like Thai-style peanut sauce on noodles, do you like sesame tahini in various recipes, such as with mung bean noodles and veggies, Filopino-style?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:

Personally, I'll eat PB in whatever fashion so long as it's either by itself or in combination with one of the following: ice cream, jelly of some kind, marshmallow or chocolate. The only more complicated combo being a peanut butter, jelly and marshmallow sandwich which is made on a campfire sandwich cooker. You butter the outside of the bread to keep it from sticking, make your PB&J as usual but put either mini marshmallows or fluff in between. Then you cook it on a stove burner (or campfire, I suppose) until it's golden brown on the outside. Wait a minute before cutting it, for it will ooze and burn you, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top (just don't try to inhale when you take a bite ;] ).

I highly recommend a Toas-Tite. (link to someone's blog about it)

You can find them on ebay usually.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have peanut butter, miracle whip and raisin sandwiches all the time as a kid. I wonder if I'd still like them now...
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
ketchupqueen, if you like Thai-style peanut sauce on noodles, do you like sesame tahini in various recipes, such as with mung bean noodles and veggies, Filopino-style?

Yes. Though I am not a huge fan of sesame in any form, I will eat tahini. Also halva, actually.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a peanut butter and honey and apple sandwich the other day. mm mm good. Apple has been added to the list of things acceptable on peanut butter sandwiches.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya'll are doing some scary stuff with your peanut butter.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Tammy, by itself, peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth. So we have to do something.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I put a big spoonful of peanut butter in a pot of chili the other day. (Why? Because it seemed easier than chopping up pistachios.*)

It wasn't bad. It wasn't my favorite pot of chili, but it was an interesting variation.

I found that immediately after adding the peanut butter the chili had a strong peanut aroma and flavor. After cooking for another while (20 min? I forget) the peanut flavor faded significantly, leaving the chili with a nutty flavor but less redolent of Jif. So if you try this don't panic if at first it seems like you made a big pot of chili-flavored peanut butter. (I wonder if it's a matter of boiling off volatile compounds in the peanut butter, or of compounds becoming better absorbed and/or emulsified...)

*I haven't tried the pistachios yet. Next time, maybe. Or maybe pepitas if I don't have to shell them myself.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've added peanut butter to thick soups, like mushroom barley or split pea, to make them more rich and creamy.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

o_O peanut butter soup... just seems so wrong, but I suppose it makes sense.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad used to always make it with sugar. Toasted, spread right away so it gets melty, liberal helpings of sugar, openface. Mmm... If the toaster wasn't so far away.. and if I had bread, I'd totally go make myself one right now.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't eat a lot of PB&J sandwiches these days. But I love it in a peanut sauce, like for chicken satay or gado gado (indonesian salad). And I have a strong nostalgia for the peanut butter version that Andes (of the Andes Mint) used to make (don't know if they still do)- my mother used to have a jar of them on her office desk.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

But aiua, peanut butter already contains sugar! Apparently your dad likes a little ground peanuts with his sugar!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Peanut butter doesn't have added sugar in my mom's house. Just ground peanuts. So when she made peanut butter and banana sandwiches, she put honey on them.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Our peanut butter doesn't have added sugar here...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

You can get peanut butter without added sugar, or corn syrup, or other sweetener. It is usually marketed as "health" or "organic" peanut butter, and costs a little more. The oil sometimes separates out after sitting for awhile, and you have to stir it up. It can go rancid more quickly (unless they add some kind of preservatives), because sugar itself is a preservative.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Well, Tammy, by itself, peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth. So we have to do something.

That's what a nice cold glass of milk is for!

I don't think my mother ever made me a pb&j. A peanut butter sandwich, to me, was bread with peanut butter spread on it. The first time I tried it with jelly I thought it was nasty, and still do.

I like mine plain on wheat bread. Rye is for other things, like liverwurst or toasted w/ various kinds of cheese; don't like it w/ peanut butter.

I don't like p.b. in ice cream or in various other places it turns up, but think that it's inspired in Reese's. My current hard-to-find favorite: Reese's Stix.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
garlic
ginger
hot water
peanut butter
sweet white miso
shoyu
lime juice
chili oil

Yum.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.