FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Truly Meaningful Songs

Author Topic: Truly Meaningful Songs
Dimak
Member # 10484

- posted      Profile for Dimak   Email Dimak         Edit/Delete Post 
I am someone who enjoys music especially songs that mean something. Songs that make me feel infinite, if you will. Songs like "The King of Carrot Flowers" or "The Arc of Time". So, I pose a question to you all: What song(s) if any has made an impact on you?
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Dimak. Most of the songs that make me "feel infinite" are hymns. Particularly this one, "O My Father". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_My_Father

Others, I dunno. Some Paul Simon songs when I was a kid, I guess. Have to think about it.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
Like a Stone; Audioslave
Simple Man, Shinedown remake;
Hurt, Johnny Cash remake [cleary, I enjoy remakes.]

A million other songs I can't think to name and can't remember the name of, as many of them I heard in the car as a child-one of these being Turn the Page by Bob Segar [definitely NOT the remake], many songs by Nirvana, and several by George Jones.

These songs are not entirely important by the content of the actual songs, but rather by how they make me feel, the feelings they invoke. That feeling of being infinite, to quote a one Charlie.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
High Glow - Taxigirl (Link)

Heaven (Fonzerelli Remix) - Jes (Link)

You Are Sleeping (PQM Meets Luke Chable Vocal Pass) - PQM (Link, WARNING: pretty haunting song, the lyrics are very shady).

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Cashew on the hymns. And I'm not even Christian. But I still can't listen to choirs in a church without bawling.

Its not a "masterpiece" type song, but "Falling for the First Time" by the Barenaked Ladies is so special to me that I got the title tattooed on my ankle.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Lifehouse - Hanging by a moment

Although Audioslave is tough to beat, I think this song has always evoked some feeling for me. It's not a masterpiece, and it certainly hasn't changed my life, but if I've enjoyed it for this long... [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray, an opportunity to suggest and/or talk about music! Hi Dimak. It seems like you and I have vaguely similar musical tastes... At least, I like both of the songs and artists you referenced in your original post. And I think I see the kind of songs you're going for. Let's find out. I would like to link some songs on youtube. Please yay or nay. [Smile]

Pink Floyd - Time

Band of Horses - The Funeral

Radiohead - Go Slowly

Let's travel backwards, now, to a more innocent time, before U2 started to suck - Love Is Blindness

Eels - P.S. You Rock My World

Edited to add the Eels tune.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to hatrack [Smile] . I enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel too - I think "Where You'll Find Me Now" gives me that 'infinite' feeling. I feel like my interest in Bright Eyes is fading but "Poison Oak" is a personal favorite. You probably have heard/enjoyed Iron and Wine? I've had "Someday the Waves" floating around in my head recently.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple Man
Landslide
Cats in the Cradle

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
"Take Me Home, Country Roads" by John Denver.

The Eagles..."Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Desperado", "Lyin' Eyes"

Some really weird ones..."Candyman" by Aqua...

Infinite is definitely how I would describe it. Really good songs make you feel as if there's nothing wrong with the world, at all.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no such thing as a universally meaningful song. Music is largely subjective, and ineffable.

It's not as though 2+2 = 4 with music. It's more like 2+2 = marshmallow to me, 2+2 = smiling to you, and 2+2 = the smell of old indian food to a third person.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanni - In the Morning Light.

It has no words, listen, and maybe understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tw0qL8D5O4

When I was a kid, my dad and my little sisters went on this trip to the mountains. I was sitting in the front seat, my sisters in the back. My dad put in this Yanni CD on our trip. My sisters fell asleep and it was just me and my dad...The song came on, and we didnt say anything to each other, just shared a few glances, smiles and the moment.

The song reminds me of him whenever I hear it, and that awesome father-son moment, comforted. I don't think he knows that I feel that strongly about this song.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, but that's why we meet here. To share notes. [Smile]

There's quite a few songs people are listing that I'm not familiar with. Maybe I'll look them up...being in radio no-man's land, I could use some broadening of my tastes.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I might look up some of these as well.

For me, Tracy Chapman's songs tend to mean something on a political rather than a personal level - Fast Car and Subcity in particular.

A lot of Indian songs mean something to me not because I understand them but because they are the soundtrack to my childhood. We used to listen to a ghazal singer called Pankaj Udhas in the car when I was tiny and his songs still take me back to that time, for all that I can only understand about half the words.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, forgot about Tracy Chapman.

At this point in my life
Save a Place for me

Those were both very powerful songs for me at one point in my life. It was a dark time.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Songs that make me cry:

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
One Tin Soldier - Coven
The Queen And The Soldier - Suzanne Vega
Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks

I remember seeing an episode of a TV show when I was a kid that was framed around Seasons in the Sun. There was a high school kid, kind of wild, with leukemia, and he sang this in a talent show at school. The last scene was a teacher coming into his classroom to tell the class that he'd died. I think that show is why the song gets me weepy.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
I once heard a radio show in which they were talking about Terry Jacks and his demise and sung this song (or rather, imitated the ever increasing key changes) and then died. Forever since, I have thought of that.

I do like the song, though.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I'm with Cashew on the hymns.

Me, too. [Smile]

Which made my brain jump to Jars of Clay's album made up completely of hymns, which in turn made me think of these two songs that really struck home for me:
"Much Afraid" and... dun dun dun...
"Hymn"

I could probably come up with a short list of Paul McCartney or George Harrison (solo career) songs as well as a bunch of 60's/70's tunes that carry a lot of nostalgia due to sitting in my room as a teenager listening to my mom's old 45's either alone or with friends.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Heart - "Seasons" and "Anything is Possible".
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
There's no such thing as a universally meaningful song. Music is largely subjective, and ineffable.

It's not as though 2+2 = 4 with music. It's more like 2+2 = marshmallow to me, 2+2 = smiling to you, and 2+2 = the smell of old indian food to a third person.

Or 2+2 = 5 = Radiohead

Well to me anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
At Least We're Dreaming - Eve 6
The General - Dispatch
If Everyone Cared - Nickelback

I dunno why, but these three songs consistently give me cold shivers and make me feel better when I'm feeling down.

The first one pretty much carried me through a really, really, really bad semester. The chorus goes:

quote:
At least I'm breathing,
At least I'm alive,
As long as I'm dreaming,
Everything is gonna be alright.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dimak
Member # 10484

- posted      Profile for Dimak   Email Dimak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see that users here have such a diversity in musical tastes. I also like Lake of Fire by Nirvana and At the Bottom of Everything by Bright Eyes.

P.S. TL I do enjoy all of those songs.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
These songs are awsome to me! I always feel when I listen to them:

So Long, Lonesome by explosions in the sky
Picture of You by Mr Hudson & the Library
It's Too Late by The Streets
I LUV U by the ordinary boys

Anybody who likes chill music with piano's and stuff should chec out these songs (except for the last one which is just cheezy and sappy but still great)
[The Wave]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
Wild World- Cat Stevens
Barstool- Gary Jules
Still Loving you- Scorpions
She's Always a Woman/Piano Man- Billy Joel
Best of You/ Friend of a Friend- Foo Fighters

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.