FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy 75th Anniversary, "It Happened One Night"

Author Topic: Happy 75th Anniversary, "It Happened One Night"
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikipedia, today is the 75th anniversary of the release of "It Happened One Night." It was one of Frank Capra's masterpieces, the first film to win all 5 major Academy Awards, and is (in my uneducated opinion) still the gold standard of romantic comedies.

We have the DVD, and it's well worth owning. But any of you who don't have it and don't fancy a trip to the Best Buy or the video store, it's available for instant viewing at Netflix.

So we're watching it again tonight. I know nothing that's going to win at Hugh Jackman's Lame-a-thon tonight is going to be anywhere near as good as this. Who's with me?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. I saw it about a week ago. It's pretty good, but nothing to write home about.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
That's okay, this month also marks the 15th anniversary of the release of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. That's probably more up your alley. [Wink]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
This year is Batman's 70th birthday.

Very well-preserved, isn't he?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Speed, I love it, I think it's a charming and very funny movie. And Claudette Colbert is GORGEOUS!! I had to force my wife to watch it (she has a crazy prejudice against b&w movies), but she was soon hooked and loved it too.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"This year is Batman's 70th birthday.

Very well-preserved, isn't he? "

How can you tell, under all that rubber??

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
That's okay, this month also marks the 15th anniversary of the release of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. That's probably more up your alley. [Wink]

A brilliant film.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, this movie.

After seeing it, the walls of Jericho will never mean the same thing to me again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
A truly great film. Watched it a month or two ago and burned it onto DVD.

Of course, I also like Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.