FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My daugher made me cry. (A sweet story)

Author Topic: My daugher made me cry. (A sweet story)
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter was born after her mother and I split up, so she never lived in my house with me full time. This has always been tough for me to deal with. Our relationship is not as strong as I would have hoped.

When she was four, career opportunities took me to Houston. This made things even harder since I had even fewer opportunities to see her. She would come down and we would drive back quite often, but it wasn't the same. We traveled back for just about every occasion and holiday. Man we drove a lot.

One year, we did not come back for Halloween and were not going to see her until Thanksgiving. I didn't want her to go without a gift from me for that long so I went to build-a-bear and purchased a gift card. I also bought one of the record your own voice boxes and got one of the hearts you put into the bear. I recorded a message for her, made a wish on the heart and shipped all three items to her. Her mother took her to build-a-bear where she picked out a bear and finished the process.

Flash forward five years, after a job change and moving back, and my now twelve-year-old and my other three kids are talking about making wishes. She said, out of the blue, that the wish that she made on the heart she put into her bear was that I would move back to Oklahoma. I was floored. I could tell by the look on her face that she had never shared this with anyone. When I asked her, she confirmed this. She didn't even tell her mom, and they are best friends.

I have great kids.

edit: we moved back seven months after she made her wish.

[ February 23, 2009, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: brojack17 ]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff*

That is indeed a sweet story.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
^ What she said.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwww
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sweet!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you're making me tear up!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, what a sweet daddy!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for sharing your story!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.