FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BeanCounter (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BeanCounter
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
May Sgt. Stream rest in peace, whether or not he was also Bean Counter.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That really leaves me at a loss for words.

God bless you and your family, Scott. Thank you for what you gave.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel I need to say something- one soldier to another. Bean, though I never knew your Hatrack identity, I admire your candor of speech, and demeanor in which you seemed to have written your letter. I admire the chivalry you display in selflessly leaving your friends, family, and home. You really understood what's important, something everyone else in the world must come to understand. I hope to honor your death to the best of my ability, to make my presence here a valuable contribution to the benefit of the world. I pray the seeds you've undoubtedly have planted will grow, bearing the fruits of your legacy. Brother in arms, my thoughts are with you.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
We disagreed on too much for me to remember BC fondly, but I'm very sorry he's gone. Rest in peace.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this puts my troubles in perspective.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, I would think life/death is the ultimate binary. My parents should have used that one on me instead of "kids in India."
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
We disagreed on too much for me to remember BC fondly, but I'm very sorry he's gone. Rest in peace.

Indeed.

I rarely agreed with him, but there was no denying that he was a forceful advocate for his cause. He defended America on here with words, even though we disagreed on the methods and courses of action necessary to do so. And he died defending America out there.

I trust that he has no regrets in his actions, and that he believed firmly in what he was doing over there. I hope his family can take a lot of pride and hopefully comfort in that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear this. [Frown] Peace and comfort to all who loved him.
Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LVilla
Member # 11980

- posted      Profile for LVilla           Edit/Delete Post 
"When a man decides to do something he must go all the way... he must take responsibility for what he does... he must first know why he is doing it, and then he must proceed with his actions without having doubts or remorse about them."
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
May you find peace and rest, Bean Counter.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he must proceed with his actions without having doubts or remorse about them
I believe it was this attitude of his that I found most persistently incorrect.

For myself, I have found both doubt and remorse to be frequently useful.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LVilla
Member # 11980

That was Scott's mantra in life, to a degree. It's from Castaneda. Journey to Ixtlan.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you LVilla for posting.

I'm almost never here anymore, but remember BeanCounter. While I never like to hear that someone has died, there is some...comfort? I guess that might be the best, though inadequate word...in someone who dies consistent with their life. I know he believed in where he was and what he was doing, so I am comforted, and am touched by the words he left behind.

Thanks again for posting. I'll be praying for his family in the face of their loss.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
he must proceed with his actions without having doubts or remorse about them
I believe it was this attitude of his that I found most persistently incorrect.

For myself, I have found both doubt and remorse to be frequently useful.

What Tom said.

I find it deeply ironic that so many self proclaimed "Christian" see doubt and remorse as failings.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I rarely agreed with him, but there was no denying that he was a forceful advocate for his cause. He defended America on here with words, even though we disagreed on the methods and courses of action necessary to do so. And he died defending America out there.
Unfortunately, although I'm confident that Bean Counter believed he was defending America out there when he died, I don't believe the war he was fighting was defending America in any meaningful way. And in my mind that makes his death all that much sadder.

He had a naive faith in an American Ideal that made it easy for unscrupulous leaders to manipulate him into serving in a poorly conceived, ill-planned, badly executed and unethical war that had almost nothing to do with the ideals he believed in. And he paid the ultimate price for it. That's not just sad, its tragic.

I know its considered impolite to say this kind of thing when someone has died, but I think its important to speak the truth, especially at these times or the cycle goes on.

Over 3000 US soldiers died on the final day of WW I. General Pershing knew the terms of the armistice had already been set and that his actions would have no impact on the terms of the armistice, but he launched a bloody assault anyway to further his own career. The men who died that day didn't die defending America. They died to advance the career of a General who was willing to kill thousands of his own men for personal gain. When good men die in poorly conceived fights, we don't do them any favors by calling them heroes. We just ensure that it will keep happening over and over again.

[ March 02, 2009, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

LVilla
Member # 11980

I am probably going to lock this post now. The Rabbit may have convinced me to do so. Please, if you read the quote and read the thread, you would know that it's a quote from Castaneda, one of Scott's favorite authors.

The last time I checked, Castaneda wasn't much of a Christian. Read first. This a thread for simple words. Not an area to flame or tout agenda.

You can do that in a new thread if you'd like.

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the place, Rabbit.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, although I'm confident that Bean Counter believed he was defending America out there when he died, I don't believe the war he was fighting was defending America in any meaningful way. And in my mind that makes his death all that much sadder.

He had a naive faith in an American Ideal that made it easy for unscrupulous leaders to manipulate him into serving in a poorly conceived, ill-planned, badly executed and unethical war that had almost nothing to do with the ideals he believed in. And he paid the ultimate price for it. That's not just sad, its tragic.

I understand your feelings on the matter. I've had this argument with my brother, a former Marine, many times, and in this specific instance, I think Matt's words are most appropriate. There's a time and a place. This is neither the time, nor the place.

In my opinion though, his intention matters as much as the actual end result of his actions. So while I might not feel like the war over there has made me safer, that doesn't mean that he didn't die trying to defend me and mine, and I can appreciate his intention and his effort all the same.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Not the place, Rabbit.

I am very sympathetic to the idea you are trying to convey Rabbit, but I think another thread is a better place. While I hope that when I am dead people will discuss my legacy honestly, I still hope there is at least one little place where the things I believed in are cherished as much as they can be.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know its considered impolite to say this kind of thing when someone has died, but I think its important to speak the truth, especially at these times or the cycle goes on.
Um, this is a thread offered to inform us that he died. I told him exactly what I thought of him and his ideology, when he was alive. There was more or less a point then. He's dead, so this is only really just rubbing salt in the wounds of people who knew him and who have suffered loss through his death, to put that here.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's to BeanCounter's apparent intentions.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's to BeanCounter. You will be missed by your family, friends, country and a little online community that you visited. Rest in peace, it was too soon, but you've earned it.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed reading BC's last letter. He was always an eloquent writer with a powerful voice.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's to his intentions, but not his methods or his mode of discourse, then.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Man... this sucks. We were kind of kindred spirits here. No words can express the thanks for his service.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't profess to say that I knew him, but it saddens me nonetheless.

His words were beautiful.

Bless him for sacrificing himself for this country, and I'll keep my prayers on him and his family.

[Frown]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am unable to get the link to the letter to load.

Edited:

Got it now. Thanks...

[ March 06, 2009, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LVilla
Member # 11980

Thank you for your kindness. Scott is in the ground now.

I guess that's about it.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LVilla:
Thank you for your kindness. Scott is in the ground now.

I guess that's about it.

That may be it for his military service, but I would not say that is it for Scott.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok -- I agree that yes, it's a good idea to sticky this thread for this weekend. I ask that should anyone post to it, that it be to honor the sacrifice Bean Counter and those like him have made on behalf of others, giving their lives in service to their country. Differing opinions are certainly out there, but I ask that they remain out of this thread, at least for this weekend.

Thanks,
PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I don't really have the words to adequately express my appreciation for our veterans.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really have the words to adequately express my appreciation for our veterans.
I don't know if anyone really has either, and many who claim they do are selling something.

Thanks to all of them.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes Memorial Day more personally meaningful than it usually is for me, unfortunately:( I'm sorry he's gone. I regret that we didn't see the side of him expressed in that letter, too. That comes out a criticism, but that criticism can be truly said of all of us.

Godspeed on your new journey, Sergeant.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
Straygaldwyr will be missed.

From Ornery,

"My mission warning order came down finally, however I am not sure about dates as far as when we get boots on the ground, June 8 is my activation for federal orders, May 3 we go to a three week state AT and we SRP next month.

As for our mission we are being broken into four man mentoring teams and tasked to village AP stations... thats right, I guess they ran out of SF and decided to use the Guard...it is not a kinetic mission, just babysitting the foriegn tribal cops in the Pushtu area. I will miss toilets, cooked food, and bathing...however we my actually get relaxed grooming standards so that might be kind of cool..."

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I never saw this.
Thank you, Scott. And all the men and women who have given their lives, or have prepared to give them - you I thank as well.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
I know I posted a little while ago, but I just recently went through and read a bunch of my old e-mails from him... it made me feel like I was in some tragic war movie... they were all like "I hope I get to meet you soon," and "another one was killed today, but don't worry about me, I can take care of myself"...

[Frown]

It wasn't until today, rereading this thread, and specifically this post, that this felt real to me.

I hope his family is doing okay.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.