FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC will be my in-law; Or--I'm Engaged!!! - A Landmark

Author Topic: OSC will be my in-law; Or--I'm Engaged!!! - A Landmark
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
First off since you're wondering, OSC is her uncle and she's in the same ward. That probably won't come up again so I'll just say it here.

Okay, I know you haven't heard much from me (at least from this name) but this is so exciting and I'm so happy that I want to share it. I'll start with the proposing story first, and then go to the how we met story,and then I'll ramble on with anything else I feel like saying.

My name is Brayden, her name is Kaitlin. We are both theatre majors at Southern Virginia University and were actually both in the show Merchant of Venice (That was directed by Scott Card, I played all of the suitors and the duke, and she played the rewritten Lancelot Gobbo's part). Last night was our closing night and I decided that it was as good a day as any. I told her the day before that I was kidnapping her for a while (I even had to go so far as to clear it with the stage manager of our show and the director for the other show that she's in. Their exact reaction was, "Kids and their hormones..." and permission was granted)

The next day (yesterday) I picked her up at 12:30 and we drove to Blackfriar's Playhouse in Staunton to see a production of mid-summer night's dream which is her favorite show. There was standing room only in the theatre, but at the last minute two gallant's stools opened up and we were able to sit on stage and interact with the actors during the show.

After the play was over I waited for the audience to leave and when the vast majority was gone I retrieved the longstem rose that I had put the ring into, took her to center stage, and got down on one knee. She started hyper-ventilating and crying and I proposed with Hamlet's poem
"Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love."

Then I handed her the rose with the ring and asked if she would marry me. Sh started crying and said yes.

We left the theatre and went to the car where I had stashed some Reeses peanut butter cups and IBC root beer. Which you'll learn the significance of in the next story.

How we met:

I got back to school in August and was asked to be running crew for You're A Good Man Charlie Brown. The first rehearsal that I went to I was swept away by this girl on stage. I hadn't seen her before so I asked the costumer who was sitting next to who she was. I was told she was a transfer student and her name was Kaitlin. I kept on going to rehearsals and trying to get her to talk with me. She kept ignoring me--Courteously.

On opening night I was shamelessly trying to get her attention so I asked what her favorite candy and soda were. She said reese's cups and IBC. I made a deal where if she had a perfect night on opening night the next night I would bring her those things.

She had a perfect night, so I went out and bought IBC and the biggest bag of reese's I could find. I gave them to her the next night and she was very happy, and didn't say another word to me the entire night. I gave up.

About a month after that we were in another show, Stone Tables. We had a group thing where after rehearsals we would go and watch Firefly. After one of those nights she offered me a ride home and I accepted. She drove me home and I invited her in for a piece of cake. She accepted, it was about midnight. We stayed up talking for the next 8 hours. We talked about absolutely everything. Including the fact that she was now dating my best friend. At 8 in the morning we made pancakes and then we drove to class.

The next day she gave me a ride home again, and this time only stayed until 4. Then we realized she didn't know how to get back so I rode back with her then walked home. We did that for the next few days until she learned the route well enough to get back on her own. Needless to say it was a little bit awkward with my best friend, but we have stayed close, even though I stole his girl. It kind of makes me feel like a jerk in hindsight, but I can honestly say I don't mind the results.

We are going to get married on August 11th. My life is looking great. I've managed to have my cake and eat it too. I'm getting married to her, and my best friend is okay with it, we're all still close, and he'll be my best man in August I'm also going to be going to New Jersey and New York with him over spring break, so life is pretty good right now.

Kaitlin is an amazing person and one that I look forward to spending my life with. I wish you could see her when she's on stage, singing, reading, dancing, or writing. Those are the things that she's passionate about and it shows. She literally takes my breath away.

[Hat]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Mazal Tov! [Smile]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Ahh....young love.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You first met her this August?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Six months is plenty of time. [Big Grin]

Congrats, Brayden and Kaitlin. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
*squeals*
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

At a mormon school six months is either average or slightly longer than average I think. We are getting married 365 days after we met.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Six months is plenty of time at a mormon university.

Congrats Brayden. You are what I'm looking forward to if that makes any sense. Ha. I'm about ready to turn my papers in and head out. But I hope my happy ending will be as good as yours is turning out.

Goodluck to you.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What were your other alt? Just curious...lol. Congrats!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

I had a couple from before my mission that I used, Zarex was the main one but I can't remember the password. The others were one-time-only joke ones.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Congratulations!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, may your excitement never diminish.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats [Smile]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. Keep up the romance and candy. Girls love candy.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Oh, and all's fair and all that. [Wink]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats- and if you stay as romantic as the day you proposed, she will be happy all her life.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.