FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun Free MMO

Author Topic: Fun Free MMO
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone plays MMOs here, but I feel compelled to share this one with you

Atlantica Online. It's a beautiful MMO which takes place in some alternate earth. It's pretty new, but it has a strong community already. The gameplay is that of a standard MMO, with one exception. You control up to 9 people, and an encounter with a monster brings you to a battle screen, similar to Final Fantasy. you can team up with 1 or 2 friends and engage in battles of up to 3x3. It sounds strange and at first I had doubts, but it works really well.
Aside from the battles, there are quests, crafting, fishing, community events, pvp, and much more.

Did I mention it is free? Free to download, free to play. They are supported by the purchase of game items. However, the game items are not at all necessary to enjoy the game.

So if you have a bit of time, like MMOs and want to try something fun, I suggest this.
If you want to find me, I am on Thebes server, character Artemeis

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most MMOs are "fun-free" [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Atlantica is actually a pretty cool thing for being completely free. It's entertaining enough and you can just play it and dump it when you feel like it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. MMO is...?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Massive Multiplayer Online
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it safe from malware and viruses?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
About as safe as a series of tubes
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Is it safe from malware and viruses?

Pretty safe.

LAWL Mucus!

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Atlantica for a while; the combat is such a departure from other MMORPGs that it felt like a new experience. The crafting system initially intrigued me. The PvP is much more my style, being less about FPS-esque action and more about planning and execution. The grind was minimal, and rewards/new goals were frequent. The item mall is the most balanced, well-executed I've seen in any FTP MMO.

I never made a conscious decision to quit playing; the game just got very tedious. The combat is fun for a while, but gets old when higher levels require you to grind for substantial periods of time in order to advance. A friend of mine was playing 10+ hours a day and it was taking him a week to gain a level - and he was 25 levels away from the level cap.

You learn pretty quickly that the economy sucks, crafting is largely useless, the PvP matching system is terrible and the endgame is devoid of content.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
So it ends up being like every other MMO.
Well, that's ok. I'll have my fun now and drop out when I get bored, as I do with all MMOs. At least I won't have paid for this one.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.