FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My friends are trying to get me to stop using ketchup. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My friends are trying to get me to stop using ketchup.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite ketchup flavour - which I've seen only at McDonald's - is garlic & chillies. Very, very nice.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
And am I the only one who thinks the complaint is rather bizarre: "My friends would rather I didn't die! Oh, darn their treacherous ways!"

No. After reading through this entire thread, I'm with you. It's bizarre, and on top of that, too much ketchup is too much ketchup no matter how much you like it.

My brother had a friend who put ketchup on EVERYTHING, even a really good steak. My dad commented to him while we were all out to dinner at a well-known steak place that it would be great if R. could refrain from eating his meat with ketchup just this once given it was a nice cut/cook/etc., and R. had to ask why. That's when you know it's gone too far.

Everything in moderation...even ice cream, which is a blessing from above.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I second R, why not put ketchup on steak? Its just a different kind of gravy, even better if I could put the steak between bread and cheese and maybe some onion and tomato.

I also make sandwiches out of everything.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't put gravy, for that matter, on a good steak either. Even A-l is stretching it in my book. GOOD steak, not run-of-the-mill steak. If you pay anything over $20 for a steak, no ketchup. I'd even debate putting ketchup on a cheaper one perhaps.

*le sigh*

Edit: Let the flavor and essence of the food have a chance to speak for itself!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Another way of putting the rule: If you're going to slather it in ketchup, don't bother buying expensive food.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:
You shouldn't put gravy, for that matter, on a good steak either. Even A-l is stretching it in my book. GOOD steak, not run-of-the-mill steak. If you pay anything over $20 for a steak, no ketchup. I'd even debate putting ketchup on a cheaper one perhaps.

*le sigh*

Edit: Let the flavor and essence of the food have a chance to speak for itself!

Exactly my thought, using too much Ketchup ruins the food.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I second R, why not put ketchup on steak? Its just a different kind of gravy

BLASPHEMY!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alternate flavors of ketchup just don't sell.
When I was a kid, we'd sometimes get a spicy ketchup that I really liked. Then they stopped selling it, so I'd make my own version with ketchup + worchestershire.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Rome, my tour group was hooked with two smaller ones, composed of American highschoolers. I remember the [Wall Bash] moment when the complaints started about not having ketchup. If you're in Italy, paying a lot of money to experience Italian culture and eat really nice Italian food, shut up about the dang ketchup. It was very frustrating, and we could tell the waiters were unimpressed.

I quite like ketchup myself, but I also like being able to taste other flavours. I can't imagine dulling my poor taste buds like that. Ketchup has its place, and does its job marvellously. But hey, once in a while step out of the comfort zone and see what else the world of food has to offer.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I second R, why not put ketchup on steak?

That would be fine as long as one is committed never to eating at a place that serves good steak.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
People are welcome to doctor their food however they like around me, as long as they leave mine alone. It does seem like a waste to me to put ketchup, gravy, A1, or pretty much anything other than salt and little pepper on a good steak, and if I were the one ordering and paying for the steak I might suggest to the person that they go for the hoof cut, since they aren't really going to be tasting the steak anyway, but if they're ordering it for themselves they can put whatever they'd like on it.

Similarly, I know people whose practice, when they have chocolate, is to briefly chew it and then swallow. That seems like a huge waste to me if the chocolate is of high quality, but as long as it's not my chocolate they're eating in this way, it's not my problem.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I hadn't considered is whether you can build up a ketchup tolerance. Maybe if you consume enough of it on a regular basis, it sort of fades into the background, or sets up a flavor baseline from which variance is still possible.

With hearing, our minds can filter out constant background noise so that we aren't consciously aware of it. We don't really "hear" anything until something changes. So after sufficient time you might not really hear the fan running across the room, but you'll still hear your phone ring, or a creaky floorboard.

There seem to be limits on the functionality of this selective suppression of perception. Above a certain decibel level, a steady noise is going to drown out everything else. I think most of us would equate a thick coating of ketchup to be something like a jet engine: predictable and constant in effect, but so *loud* that it dominates other notes.

Our ears are generally not resilient enough to stand up to constant jet engine-level input, so it's doubtful that we can really examine the question of whether high-decibel noise can fade into the baseline the way a whirring fan can. But if such exposure didn't damage our ears, isn't it conceivable that we could suppress that perception and still pick out the variations to enjoy other sounds as well? They might simply be ripples on the towering waves, but once we learn to cancel out those waves the ripples should still remain, right?

Perhaps Blayne's ketchup is the surging surf, but his tastebuds ride those powerful waves with such expert delicacy that they can enjoy the ripples and swirls that a fine aged piece of beef would contribute.

Or maybe not. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I can still taste the beef, it just tastes BETTER with ketchup.

People say "no one can improve upon perfection" to which I retort, but does it have ketchup on it? Hmm?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think to me ketchup is like salt. It brings out the flavor of whatever it's on.

And you can most definitely build up a tolerance.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I like ketchup, but people are always telling me that I don't use enough. I don't need to pile it on like Blayne, just a little dab.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I think to me ketchup is like salt. It brings out the flavor of whatever it's on.

And you can most definitely build up a tolerance.

And your username has ne'er been more appropriate
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.