FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Absurd Memories (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Absurd Memories
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

I remember asking my dad why grandma had her eyes closed. Evidently I didn't understand his answer because what I remember him saying was that she had her eyes closed because everyone was watching her and that as soon as we were all gone away she would open them.

Maybe he really said that! I sometimes say absurd things to my nephew just for the sake of making his life a little more interesting. (and also baffling my sister)
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember asking my dad why grandma had her eyes closed. Evidently I didn't understand his answer because what I remember him saying was that she had her eyes closed because everyone was watching her and that as soon as we were all gone away she would open them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rabbit, I have to say that's a creepy thought. Maybe he did say that though. Maybe it was his defense mechanism for dealing with the pain of the loss. Maybe he wanted to think that was going to happen.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

I have another Absurd Memory:

When I was young, I remember watching my dad play and sing in his group. He played the drums and sang at certain concert venues all while I was growing up(actually he still plays). I particularly remember him playing the song Listen To The Music. I heard him play and sing that song often, and then I heard it on the radio years later and thought, "that's my dad's song, he wrote that." I seriously thought all through grade school, and even into middle school, my dad wrote and performed that song. It wasn't until I was a little older, and thinking for myself that I came to understand the Doobie Brothers own and created that song, and my dad happened to be a fan of their music and tried to emulate their style during that period of time.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember holding my Grammy's hand when I was barely two, at the top of a long wooden staircase in our house on Cooper Point. I was wearing very slick patent leather shoes. I remember her gasp of horror. I next remember being in my mom's arms in the front seat of my dad's police cruiser, lights flashing and sirens wailing. I remember gobs of balloons in the ER.

My mom reassured me I was not losing my mind. One of the nurses was having a birthday.

Let's see . . . what else from those very early days?

I remember wandering downstairs in this same house and the TV (which was really off) seemed really on, and was talking to me. I was crying. My dad found me and picked me up and carried me back to bed. Apparently, I had lots of high fevers when I was little.

And . . .

My three year old birthday cake. Which had covered wagons and cowboys and Indians and cactus and tipees.

And then we moved to Hoadly Street. Which brings all sorts of other memories. Like wild thunderstorms, huge snowfalls, getting my toe caught in the spokes a teen's bike while perched on the handlebars, having a teen stop the car whose gearshift I moved from park to reverse from rolling out into the street, confessing this sin to my grandfather, the ghost in the rocking chair, jumping on my bed and hitting the light fixture, on and on . . . We moved from this house when I was a bit over 4.

What I wish I could remember was my infancy in San Franciso ('69) when -- according to mom -- the only thing that calmed my colic was being in the babypac with my dad (my biological dad, not the man who raised me, the one with the police cruiser int he earlier memory) at the festivals. Apparently, I very much enjoyed the music. [Smile]

My secret suspicion is that the fumes probably calmed me and/or the colic. [Wink]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

Shan,
Great, so you were a weed-smoking baby?

It sounds like you had a very interesting childhood. What was with all your high fevers? did you grow out of being so sick?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
quote:

Maybe he really said that! I sometimes say absurd things to my nephew just for the sake of making his life a little more interesting. (and also baffling my sister)
Knowing my Dad, that seems very highly improbable.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oshki
Member # 11986

- posted      Profile for Oshki   Email Oshki         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember leaving the reservation when I was very little on a train with my mom. I remember that I had spilled my popcorn all over the place and the conductor (who was black) was really angry because he had to clean it up. I remember crying. The conductor came over and said he was sorry he didn't mean to make me cry. I asked him why he was so mean and said "I am an indian too." He brought me another bag of popcorn.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.