FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Critique Website - Plz help?

Author Topic: Critique Website - Plz help?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

I'm working on a website for a family friend pretty much for free. The [URL=]web page[/URL] looks off to me, but I'm not sure exactly why. I've been struggling to find a way to make it better, but I can't figure it out.

What thoughts do you guys have?
Thanks in advance! (And I promise to take technical threads elsewhere if they become too often [Razz] )

[ March 16, 2009, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, I think the issue is the photo of the buliding. The white sky behind the building is close to the background white. I think if you were up the width of the gray background a bit so that it all feels enclosed it'd help. An alternative route would be to crop the photo a bit.

I think the smaller logo at the top left looks nice and adds a bit of class, but at the same time, it's too small for aesthetic purposes. You have so much unused space in the header bar that it's distracting.

I think the background gray might be a little bit too light because it kind of blends in unnaturally with the bricks of the building.

That's my non-artistically trained input.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
It's way too small.
And the font on the tabs.. is hard to read.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
On the plus side, this is way better than most websites I've seen when the author says "hey what do you think of my site?". I didn't notice any of the problems that the others mentioned, although now that they did I can see what they mean. I think those are minor concerns though. It's pretty nice looking.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The entire page is very condensed: it feels like it would breathe better with 100 px more horizontal space.

The text is too uniform; it suffers from serious "block'o'words" syndrome that make it difficult to home in on keywords or separate ideas.

The horizontal navigation may as well be done without images, as it would improve the clarity of the text, and the tabular effect you're using is replicable with CSS.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The font size of list of "|"-separated links on the bottom of the homepage is larger than the font size of the list on the Services tab. You may want to make them the same.

Also on the Services tab: it's not clear why you have a navigation box on the left in addition to the links on the bottom.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.