FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kings (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Kings
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no kidding:( Not nearly the resolutions I would've hoped for. Alas! Comeuppance for the real baddies in this show isn't in our destiny:(
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm content with the ending. It's perfect for a second season though [Razz]
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good ending only with a second season.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a very good season finale. It was, alas, nothing like a resolution to a story that I was really becoming invested in. I am very upset with NBC for failing to stand behind this show in any meaningful way. Heroes gets another crappy season and they cancel Kings? Huh? [Frown]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else jump out of their chairs the first time Reverend Samuels reappeared?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really jump, but was like "oh, huh."

Fortunately, with this particular cancellation we KNOW pretty much how the story ends. I am certainly disappointed that we won't get to see it executed but not gut wrenchingly frustrated. (sigh... Terminator, how thou hast forsaken me...)

For some reason I also felt the acting was a little stilted in this episode. Which is weird, because that acting's actually ALWAYS a little stilted, but usually it felt poetic and appropriate and this time it didn't (in particular when David and Michelle are saying they love each other and when Silas is talking to God on the roof)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I had that same impression of the acting, in almost the same way, Raymond. I wonder how much of that was an effect of the show cancellation?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the script was the problem, especially for David and Michelle, rather than the acting.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

The ending for them was especially abrupt. David apparently forgot all his bitterness and finality with regards to her, no explanations required. Strangely, though, they did a pretty good job putting 'fin' on Silas and David for the show, though-his dislike and contempt never left, but his reasons for sticking with (or at least, alongside) Silas still got aired too.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I was impressed with michelle's mother's method to save michelle's unborn child. Interesting they still choose not to tell David. Course I watched this with almost no knowledge of the actual David story. So a lot of plot points probably make sense in that context.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rakeesh. David said he didn't want to see any of the family again once Silas was restored. I was waiting for the more appropriate ending for them in which David walks off sadly but with determination and she calls out that she's pregnant. But, the opposite happened...

I guess I got an unexpected ending.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for the same thing Temposs.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I expected Michelle to tell him she was pregnant too. The fact that she didn't means that they're still lying to one another, which hurts their prospects in the long run. Michelle is playing politics. She may look and generally act nicer than the rest of her family, but she is clearly her mother's daughter.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I know the story, so I thought what happened fit pretty well. David runs off and joins Gath and gets painted as a traitor, and really doesn't leave Gath until after Saul/Silas and Jonathan/Jack are killed.

I so wish this had continued. It's one of the most remarkable things I've seen on TV in a long time.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

In the show, in what way is David lying to Michelle?
Christine
Member # 8594

He's not. It's just Michelle lying to him.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did not enjoy that finale.

First, David was mad at Michelle from the last episode bc she betrayed him. In this episode, they forgot about it.

Second, in the last episode Jack seemed also like he was taken hostage by William. he also seemed like a good king, and I kinda was interested in David and Jack finally being friends, ala the Bible.

I did not enjoy the ending. I think that what Silas did to Jack was obscene...I dunno what they were trying to do. It seems like they mixed up the biblical stories of Silas and Jack with David and Absalom, Once Absalom is taken care of, it reverts back to the original story where David runs away to Philistine and Saul keeps trying to kill him, while going a bit crazy himself. Too second seasony for me, when I was looking for a series finale.

What I DID enjoy was the way they spoke with God. That was awesome. But I wished that they had some closure for David, our main character, when this was a very Silas-centric episode.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

You're right, they did some serious flip-flopping on Jack's character, too.

1. Evil plan w/Silas to become next king.
2. Execution of evil plan against David.
3. Crisis of conscience at the last possible moment, reneges on evil plan.
4. Approached by Crosse.
5. Sort of reneges on Crosse's plan, apparently not going along with the worst of it - to the point of literally catching a bullet for the man who humiliated him in a very, well, Biblical way, heh.
6. Brings David in to help him be good.
7. Goes along with Crosse's evil plan.

That's one evenly cooked flapjack, that's for sure, all that flipping. The thing is, Jack's decision to finally usurp the crown is totally plausible, taking into account Silas's really dreadful hypocrisy and humiliation of his son for not going along with it to murder someone. That and his (Silas's) reprehensible hypocrisy to sneer at his son's perceived moral failures when he himself is a liar, murderer, adulterer, torturer, kidnapper, warmonger, and had more than once very specifically and knowingly gone directly against God's will.

I suspect, given the way the show ran early on, those very ample reasons would've been explored. I blame it on the cancellation.

Oh! And damn, Tomasina (sp?) turned out to be a really ice-cold evil bi#$h, didn't she? But as motivation that worked too-lots of folks think loyalty can make up for all sorts of things.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.