FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Syfy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Syfy
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Yup. I needed to make it clear that I was only speaking for myself, not for you.

LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I think they should have renamed it to "Psi Phi".

I think that's even more geeky, not less.

I like it. [Smile]

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by syfybum:
I reconsidered and actually I like the new name.

Glad to see at least someone is embracing the change.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just truth in advertising. They're not showing actual sci-fi, so they want to make that clear.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
No, that is not what I mean.

Whereas you may have been a woman in the past or may yet become a woman in the future you however are not a woman now?

Are we getting warm?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I reconsidered and actually I like the new name.

HOW DARE YOU.

And:

Identity theft is a federal crime.

And:

That's way more likely to create a mental association with anatomy than my name.

And:

HOW DARE YOU.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking to yourself again? They've got treatments for that now.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hatrack: You should talk Porter!
All sorts of crazy going on around here.

[ March 18, 2009, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants to contact them and tell them what idiots they are to a) rebrand themselves to appeal to 13 year old girls while alienating their intelligent audience members and b) insult said audience members in their announcement about why they're doing so, or about the general idiocy of whoever selects their programming schedule lately, someone on another board posted the following contact info:

quote:
Jeff Zucker
CEO of NBC/Universal
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112
CORPORATE PHONE: (212) 664-4444

Dave Howe
President
NBC Universal - Sci Fi Channel
30 Rockefeller Plaza, 21st Floor
New York, NY 10112
Dave.howe@nbcuni.com

feedback@scifi.com

FAX: 212-413-6509

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they want to hear from who they already assume to be antisocial geeks living in our parent's basement?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't know, if enough of us antisocial geeks call or write they might get scared that we're going to use our mad math and science skillz to infest their houses with termites or something.

I just thought it might be more productive than scoffing at what idiots they are behind their backs to tell them to their faces.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
...Because even antisocial geeks attract sponsors?...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have a 13-year-old girl living in my house and she thinks the name change is a stupid idea. As do I (48), my sister (44), and my niece (23). I haven't discussed it with my 15-year-old daughter yet. But we're all female scifi geeks in a wide range of ages.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syfybum
Member # 11994

- posted      Profile for syfybum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HOW DARE YOU.
It took very little daring.

But, for what it's worth, if I knew how to e-mail you, I'd send you the password to this account so you could stop worrying about ID theft.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
quote:
HOW DARE YOU.

But, for what it's worth, if I knew how to e-mail you, I'd send you the password to this account so you could stop worrying about ID theft.

S'ok. Was just joking.

(Help, I'm reassuring myself.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I actually have a 13-year-old girl living in my house and she thinks the name change is a stupid idea. As do I (48), my sister (44), and my niece (23). I haven't discussed it with my 15-year-old daughter yet. But we're all female scifi geeks in a wide range of ages.

Yeah, I think the people who will find this name change "cool" will not be related to anyone on this forum because we tend to have a median intelligence higher than "below average" here...
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing is exceedingly amusing. They have to lower the intelligence of the channel to get away from being geeky.

It is a backhanded complement, really.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
But remember: Liking science fiction means that you're an anti-social loser!

Good people watch good, non-genre reality shows. You know, like Temptation Island.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caliban
Member # 11698

- posted      Profile for caliban           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Oh well, I'm pretty sure the 'syfy' channel only has two more hours of interest anyway.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
But remember: Liking science fiction means that you're an anti-social loser!

Good people watch good, non-genre reality shows. You know, like Temptation Island.

Yes master. I understand master.

I love that the guy implied that HUMANS are not interested in sci-fi. Like, you know, we're not human.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm a Dalek.

EXTERMINATE!

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
HOW DARE YOU.

It was pretty funny, though. As was scifibum's response.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
You should talk Porter!
So should we all.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
A somewhat relevant link.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Personally, I'm a Dalek.

EXTERMINATE!

I knew it! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like an April Fools' joke news two weeks early.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody get a baseball bat and beat David Howe over the head.

Let's take over Sci-Fi's studio. We'll bring the DVD collections of our favorite Science Fiction/Fantasy shows past and just run those reruns all day for a week or two. Screw buying the rights and all that crap. The publicity from us invading the studio alone would guarantee more viewers, and when they saw the reruns of the many good science fiction shows of the past they'd want to stay. Then when we were finally lead away in hand cuffs we could point out the numbers to the studio execs. Our sacrifice would be worth it if they'd learn a) what good science fiction television is and b) that it is perfectly capable of supporting a profitable network.

My list of shows past would include:

Stargate SG1
Firefly (duh)
Babylon 5
All the old Star Treks minus Enterprise
Buffy (it's fantasy)
Angel (also fantasy)
Farscape
Dr. Who (there's so much old Dr Who that could be rerun!)
Rerun (new) BSG and maybe old BSG just for laughs
Continue New Doctor Who
Rerun the old Dune miniseries - and make more like it!

Then come up with new good programs along the lines of Dr Who and BSG!

Also they missed the boat in not getting Terminator and Dollhouse. After BSG ends Fox will have better Sci-Fi than Sci-Fi. And that just shouldn't happen.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
This really made me laugh, though considering how I pronounced it the first time I saw it, I'm surprised I didn't make the leap to this conclusion myself. Polish meaning of new name embarrasses syfy.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, I've been here for more than three years, and lurked for three years before that, and I'm finally approaching my 100th post. I'd say it's about time! Especially considering that I check in here at least every other day, if not on most days. I'm shy.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Don't quote Sala or you might catch teh Syfy!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
This really made me laugh, though considering how I pronounced it the first time I saw it, I'm surprised I didn't make the leap to this conclusion myself. Polish meaning of new name embarrasses syfy.

How apt.
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
TÖRdötCÖM

It spreads.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't that post bump this thread to the front page?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
That is pretty funny.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Why didn't that post bump this thread to the front page?

I was trying to figure that out. No idea.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one (notice date)

I needed a laugh. ;-)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.