FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American TV show with non-American actors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American TV show with non-American actors
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by paigereader:
The worst American accent I've heard a Brit do was on As Time Goes By. Yikes! Painful to think
they think we sound like that.

Oh, that was dreadful.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Gwyneth Paltrow (oh, I mean Gwynet' "Ant'ony" Paltrow) pick up a faux British accent too?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So did Madonna. Very, very faux.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh a show in sydication (on lifetime) is Still Standing. Mark Addy (love him in The Full Monty)
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Walker sibling (Brothers and Sisters)is not American. The actor that plays Kevin is Welsh.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Picking up parts of an accent after living somewhere for years isn't necessarily an affectation.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's more uncommon with adults but certainly not unknown.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
And if they consciously tried to mimic the speech patterns of where they live, that's no more of an affectation than consciously trying to avoid mimicing those speech patterns.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I have a variable accent that changes depending on who I'm talking to. In some ways, it's an affectation, but I don't have a huge amount of control over it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I start to stutter if I talk to someone who stutters. I've offended people who thought that I was mocking them.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Kiefer Sutherland (better known as Jack Bauer) is also not American -- he's English born and Canadian-raised.

"English born" is not the same thing as "born in England." Sutherland is Canadian, as are both his parents.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Idris Elba, who played drug lord Stringer Bell on "The Wire," said that when he talks to some American fans of the series he has to hide his British accent as to not break the illusion for them.

The lead cop character in the series is played by Dominic West, another UKer whose star is rising in Hollywood these days (he was snakey baddie in "300" and Jigsaw in the recent Punisher movie.) Anyway, I did not know that West was a Brit when I first started watching the series though this scene should have tipped me off:(language warning):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_3ZSeHL4g

Another major character in the latter three seasons was an Irishman as well (I'm still shocked this person wasn't American.)

Worst of Brits Playing Americans: The movie "Dead Again."

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by paigereader:
Another Walker sibling (Brothers and Sisters)is not American. The actor that plays Kevin is Welsh.

Yeah, but he sounds it.

His English is musical. [Smile] Or do I mean lyrical?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Idris Elba, who played drug lord Stringer Bell on "The Wire," said that when he talks to some American fans of the series he has to hide his British accent as to not break the illusion for them.

The lead cop character in the series is played by Dominic West, another UKer whose star is rising in Hollywood these days (he was snakey baddie in "300" and Jigsaw in the recent Punisher movie.) Anyway, I did not know that West was a Brit when I first started watching the series though this scene should have tipped me off:(language warning):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_3ZSeHL4g

Ha! I actually caught that moment (McNulty) when I first watched it.

But I never suspected Stringer was played by a Brit. He fooled me on The Office last night too.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenna, are you somewhere between Tally and Jacksonville? I could see that being south Georgia, but I've never known anyone from there.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Orlox:
Hugh Laurie in Black Adder. A classic British comedy series.

Edit for context.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cashew

Hugh Laurie IS British

Unquote

Sorry Orlox, I just read the context of your post and realised in my hurried first reading of it I TOTALLY misinterpreted what you were saying. Duh. Apologies.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
So did Madonna. Very, very faux.

Read the thread before responding, Madonna was already mentioned.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Ah, jebus. I see you've crawled out from under your bridge.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Yes, and your clip-clopping has gotten me all aroused. Won't you come under my bridge with me so I can munch on you?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

With that kind of charm, I'll bet you get all the monsters.
jebus202
Member # 2524

Which would explain the attraction, I suppose.
katharina
Member # 827

Of you to me? You call the quasi-rape threat evidence of attraction? It is merely more evidence of your character.
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
It IS kind of funny that in the same thread where you told someone to read the thread before posting YOU didn't read the thread before posting...

glass houses and all...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
In some ways, what's more striking about Hugh Laurie is not to see him playing an American (though he does it very well) but to see him playing a brilliant man after so many of his better-known comedic roles have had him playing idiots. It must be something of a relief.

There was an interview with Idris Elba on Fresh Air not long ago; amusingly, it sounds like the directors didn't even realize he was British until well after the auditions.

There was a funny moment in the outtakes for Intolerable Cruelty with Catherine Zeta-Jones stumbling over a particularly tongue-tripping passage and snarling, in her Welsh accent, "Oh, bugger!"

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Of you to me? You call the quasi-rape threat evidence of attraction? It is merely more evidence of your character.

Someone who so freely references children's tales should remember the boy who cried quasi-wolf.
katharina
Member # 827

You planning on making a real threat soon?
jebus202
Member # 2524

No, see I don't take rape lightly, like for example accusing someone of it for making a lewd comment.
katharina
Member # 827

Maybe you don't understand how using threats of sexual action to intimidate IS a quasi-rape threat.
jebus202
Member # 2524

Threats? I thought it was an invitation. It was certainly phrased that way. But then, when you're looking to be intimidated, you'll find that intimidation anywhere.
katharina
Member # 827

A sincere invitation? Or a sexual invitation that you knew would be distasteful and therefore issued in an attempt to repulse. That's what a rape threat is, jebus.
jebus202
Member # 2524

I argue on the first count that I was attempting to repulse you (perhaps make you feel a bit uncomfortable, but I guess you'll see those as the same thing, though had your reply back been equally lewd you wouldn't have found me disappointed, only tickled) and on a second count that a comment made to repulse is a rape threat, especially one made through the internet with a physical distance of some several thousand miles between the two people.
katharina
Member # 827

You were attempting to use the suggestion of sex to make me uncomfortable, to make me feel a certain way, and that way would be negative, repulsed, grossed-out. That's a rape threat. It's only quasi- because you are who-knows-where. It is still using sex to manipulate and intimidate in a negative way. That's what rape is.

Maybe you should reconsider using sex in a way intended to make women feel threatened and uncomfortable.

jebus202
Member # 2524

It's only intimidating if you felt intimidated. If you did, I apologise. I also think you're an idiot for feeling intimidated by such a silly comment, but nevertheless I apologise for bringing forth those feelings in you.

There, see how mature I can be?

katharina
Member # 827

I do appreciate that. Thank you. [Smile] That was very considerate of you. [Smile]
jebus202
Member # 2524

Hugglez. [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

*laugh*
paigereader
Member # 2274

Agree with Sterling on Hugh Laurie. He has had some goofy parts and quite a few of them in childrens movies. A lady I work with was watching House and her granddaughter walked into the room and said, "Look maw-maw! It's stuart little's dad!"
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.