FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Say what?

Author Topic: Say what?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got some friends who are adopting a child from China-- his name is Qi Fu.

How do you pronounce that?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Chee Foo, I believe.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish my full name was only 4 letters.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsinya
Member # 11724

- posted      Profile for Tsinya   Email Tsinya         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, it's chee foo. Chinese has 4 main tones (flat, rising, falling and then rising, and falling) Each of those vowels will have a different tone, and if you want to pronounce it truly correctly, you should find out the tones. He'll definitely understand you if you use the wrong tones in his name though, so don't worry about it.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I genuinely wish them the best of luck.

Growing up as a Chinese male over here can be pretty tough at times and that is without the whole adoption angle (or parents of a different race?) in the picture.

There are certainly whole bunches of stuff I wish I could have told myself as a kid.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Multiple families in my church have adopted several Chinese children. Mostly children with medical issues and unwanted girls. It is a wonderful gift for them.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For whom?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
For them.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
This could go on for days...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
...for them.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Qi Fu the little hamster in Kung Fu Panda?
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a hamster?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
For whom?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Master Shifu was a Red Panda.

si fu or shi fu is an honorific given to instructors, among other things, and loosely translates as "master". Calling him "Master Shifu" in the movie was somewhat redundant.

I don't know for sure if the name Qi Fu is related to the honorific, but I think "qi" or "chi" is a different character from the "shi" in "shi fu"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
For my daughter's name, me attempting to say it for my Chinese friends led to two different possible names, which meant very different things. Which is why I really need to learn to write the characters. Oh, and to confuse things, my friends speak Mandarin and in laws Cantonese. Which means my pronunciation is absolutely awful.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
I don't know for sure if the name Qi Fu is related to the honorific, but I think "qi" or "chi" is a different character from the "shi" in "shi fu"

qi, chi, and shi are all pronounced differently, and for any given pronunciation there are several different characters associated with it. As a side note, in Mandarin, the "h" indicates that the consonant is retroflex, which affects the vowel sound as well. Basically, "chi" sounds something like "chur" and "shi" sounds something like "shur."

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy this thread.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Qi Fu the annoying guy in Mulan?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish my full name was only 4 letters.
I have a friend named Joe Lu. When we were in high school we were at a big party out in the woods, which was busted by the police, who ended up giving everyone at the party trespassing tickets for lack of anything else to punish everyone with. The next day the local paper printed everyone's names that were at the party. on the forms we filled out when we received these tickets, the layout was like this:

quote:
Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxx DOB: xxxxxxxxx
My friend Joe Lu's name was printed in the paper as Joe Lu Dob. Our best guess was that whoever was putting this all together just couldn't believe someone's whole name consisted of 5 letters. Poor guy's nickname was "dob" for the next two years.

[ March 30, 2009, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider-
My freshman gym teacher asked me the first day of class, "What kind of middle name is Nmn?"
I said,"I think that stands for No Middle Name, sir."
Apparently the computer system would not register me without a middle name.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Figures my internet would be down the weekend we have a thread on Mandarin. [Frown]

If your romanization is correct Scott then scifibum and Tsinya got it right. If you really care about tones, come back with the characters or the pin yin and I'll let you know how to say em.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Computer systems also dislike people with more than one middle name. I often have to pick one of mine. I vary back and forth, just for kicks.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Computer systems also dislike people with more than one middle name. I often have to pick one of mine. I vary back and forth, just for kicks.

I had three middle names when I was growing up, but when I got a new social security card after getting married, the computer system wouldn't allow them to enter that many characters. So I ended up dropping the first one, which I had never liked much anyhow.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.