FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Amusing anecdote of the day

Author Topic: Amusing anecdote of the day
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife heard that Anne Hathaway got an Academy Award nomination for Rachel Getting Married, and she’d been wanting to see it ever since. So we put it on the Netflix queue, it showed up yesterday, and we watched it last night after our son went to bed.

As the movie started, she seemed really excited to see it. As it progressed, the excitement turned to confusion, then obvious disappointment, and finally outright anger and hatred. I didn’t understand; although it didn’t seem like her kind of movie, it was pretty much exactly as advertised. I couldn’t figure out why she wanted to see it in the first place if she was going to react to it like that.

After the movie was over I asked her why she hated it so much. It turns out that she had confused Rachel Getting Married with Bride Wars. She was about 2/3 of the way through this slow, moody, documentary-style drama of dysfunctional families and drug abuse before she realized that Kate Hudson wasn’t going to come in and make with the nutty practical jokes.

I can’t figure out which is funnier: her reaction to the movie, or the fact that she’s spent the last few months thinking that Anne Hathaway got an Academy Award nomination for Bride Wars. Either way, I think it’s going to be a while before she lives this down.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
NICE!

Though I have to say I had the exact same reaction to that movie even having seen the ads and knowing what to expect. Terrible, terrible movie.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I liked it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked it, too.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey, Who Ordered Gigli ?"
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read through the comments, and I'm still laughing! [ROFL]
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

aspectre,
Great find. My wife and I identify with the characters mentioned in that article. We no longer subscribe.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawberk
Member # 2503

- posted      Profile for Hawberk           Edit/Delete Post 
We've recently joined LoveFilm (The UK equivalent). I've already been in doctoring the queue to delay the inevitable arrival of "Not without My Daughter"..
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I guess some people can make drama over anything. I don't think my husband and I have ever argued over our Netflix queue. We do have two profiles set up, but that's more for ease of ordering than anything.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are doing the exact same thing with Seven Samurai, she thinks black and white movies must suck, and I want to see a movie I've only heard good things about. Who knows who will win out?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine arguing over what movies to watch. When we are doing something together we choose something we both want to see. If there's something one of us wants to see and the other one doesn't we save it for a time when the other person has something else to do.

Of course we now very rarely have time to watch anything without the kidlets in the room, which narrows the possibilities considerably.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

It's hard to believe people let such trivial things get in the way of their relationships. What's wrong with watching a movie simply because your partner wants to see it? How can you expect a marriage to last if people are so self centered they aren't willing to spend an evening watching something they aren't particularly interested in to make their partner happy?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
You could spare yourself the effort of believing it, then. After all, the article was a fluff piece and didn't describe any real relationship problems. [Wink]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here’s a little ditty making the rounds about China’s evolution over the decades:

Mao Zedong and the first-generation leaders decided to learn from the Soviet Union – and the Soviet Union collapsed.

Deng Xiaoping and the second-generation leaders decided to learn from Japan (East Asia miracle) – and Japan has been in stagnation.

Jiang Zemin and the third-generation leaders decided to learn from the United States (market economy) – and the United States is virtually bankrupt.

Hu Jintao and the fourth-generation leaders decided to learn from ... who's next?

http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/china/2009/04/who-is-china-learning-from-now.html

[Big Grin]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

I never took the article as Netflix having caused real relationship problems, only that it became their toilet seat. For my wife and I, we played those fun little games of who has what coming when, but it wasn't ever a problem. We also held onto Netflix for very long times without watching them. We did our share of watching the other's preference. It didn't take long for us to realize both of us didn't need to watch every Netflix that came into the house. I actually enjoyed sharing a netflix qeue with her. Now I'm feeling naustalgic for Netflix again . . .
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Movie-wise, my wife and I pretty much don't agree on anything.

To me, if I somehow manage to get her to see my three favorite movies of all time (Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, 2001), it would be an accomplishment of epic proportions.

Instead, I'm forced to watch them in private when she's not home, or burning them to my PSP or Zune to watch them on the road, like they were illegal.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to branch out a little. [Wink]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that those are my three favorite films, but it's always nice to find another Kubrick fan. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is as good a place as any for a funny story.

I was coming back from the gym the other day with my best friend (K), her sister (C) and their mother (M)(yeah, weird grouping for gym buddies, but it works), and the following conversation ensued:

C: Hey, did Tim Burton write Coraline?

Me: No, Neil Gaiman did.

M: Neil Diamond?

Me: Yeah, you don't remember that hit single, "Sweet Coraline?"

K: Oh oh oh!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I don't know if that qualifies as a pun, but if it does it's unusually hilarious.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Awesome.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
You might want to branch out a little. [Wink]

I only mention those because, in between those, I would have listed Brazil.

But she actually *has* seen that one. I remember it vividly... Especially her screaming "Is that DeNiro?" and asking "OK, what the hell was that about again?!?" at the end.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.