FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Web Developers: do the right thing, save IE6.

Author Topic: Web Developers: do the right thing, save IE6.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Sign the petition here!

As Microsoft, Mozilla et. al. continue to release browsers full of bloatware and unnecessary "features," it's time for the development community to take a stand. IE6 is the most proven browser still in use today. Sign the petition: let's finally get the world onto a single browsing platform, with the simplest standards.

IE6 has received more security updates than Firefox, making it the clear choice from a security standpoint. Its lack of unnecessary, memory-hogging features like tabbed browsing allow designers to utilize substantially more screen real estate.

Make the right choice. Choose IE6.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
let's finally get the world onto a single browsing platform
No thank you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Its lack of unnecessary, memory-hogging features like tabbed browsing

uh...no. thanks.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Firefox.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee. [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is an April fools. If it is, it's pretty hilarious. If it's not let me go find Thor (the Norse god, not the poster) so I can borrow his hammer to knock some sense into you.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. "Get the W3C standard changed to fit IE6". Love it.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Although, in all seriousness, the fact that IE7 seems to want to include folders I've saved things to recently in my browser history- while making it harder to move around my directory structure to save downloads- makes me want to smack the geek responsible.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part is the questions to download IE6.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will find that IE is the most bloated, and non-standard browser out there. Further, it is not a stand alone program, it is hopelessly tied into the operating system which in turn provide more route of vulnerability. IE has had more security updates because it needs them.

I stick with SeaMonkey as my number 1, and FireFox as my number 2. I only open IE if it is absolutely necessary.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to not get the joke, BW. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I hate IE6 And all other versions, I only use it because thats what my FalungongCult Created Proxy program uses it. Otherwise Mozilla all the way.

Chrome failed.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Chrome continues to gain users every month and is currently used by more people than both Safari and Opera - how is that "failed?"
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Failed to hold onto my interest?

A) Its not very private, say if the last thing I looked at was something... smutty and someone else happens to open chrome.... WHAM Hilarity Ensues.

B) Many of my PC problems seem to have sprung up after its installation.

C) I found it somewhat difficult to navigate.

D) How it handled favorites was kinda weird.

Firefox ftw.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randomguy1694
Member # 12009

- posted      Profile for randomguy1694           Edit/Delete Post 
hey blayne, if u don't want it to show up in ur history use incognito. that would be y it's there.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Randomguy speaks the truth. Or you could clear your history. It's no more cumbersome to do private browsing than any other browser. Another good solution is not to go to any websites you'd be embarrassed about.

The bookmarks work fine for me. I just checked 'Always Show Bookmarks Bar' and it's a lot like Safari.

I don't find it difficult to navigate at all. I especially like the suggestions for most visited websites when you open a new tab.

I didn't have any PC slow-down problems. :idontknow:

All of this is not to say Firefox isn't awesome, I just think that some of your criticism of Chrome is misplaced. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
My only problem with Chrome is that there isn't a linux or mac version yet. So with Firefox I remain. And I'll probably still stay with Firefox even when their is a Linux/Mac version of Chrome. Firefox 3.1 looks sick - the new JavaScript engine is supposed to make Ajax run like a dream. And since the web is headed towards an Ajax/PHP combination for dynamic pages that's pretty important.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Safari just fine. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
My only problem with Chrome is that there isn't a linux or mac version yet. So with Firefox I remain. And I'll probably still stay with Firefox even when their is a Linux/Mac version of Chrome. Firefox 3.1 looks sick - the new JavaScript engine is supposed to make Ajax run like a dream. And since the web is headed towards an Ajax/PHP combination for dynamic pages that's pretty important.

Well, yes and no. The advent of indexable flash is pretty important, and--believe it or not--silverlight may be a big player in the not too distant future.

Unless we start seeing some really, truly excellent visual designers for js/ajax tools. If designers could build ajax apps as easily as they can build flash ones...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.