FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Legislative activists override governor veto to allow SSM in Vermont

Author Topic: Legislative activists override governor veto to allow SSM in Vermont
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30089125

[The Wave]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"Legislative activists"... heh.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a new day.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't that be 'activist congresspeople'? [Wink]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

One thing I do wonder is if the state legislature effectively backing up the state courts, will the bitching and moaning about 'activist judges' decrease or not?

After all, one can hardly be an activist judge if one's decision is approved by the legislature.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
One thing I do wonder is if the state legislature effectively backing up the state courts, will the bitching and moaning about 'activist judges' decrease or not?

Doubt it. It didn't help in California, after all.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

"Activist judges" are, generally speaking, judges that rule in a way that you disagree with.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

lool.

Sadly, I envisioned that this would be the watchwordery coined the second that the anti-ssm crowd couldn't pin this one on "activist judges"

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I'm waiting for the activist voters to finally pass a gay marriage amendment.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Me, I'm waiting for the activist voters to finally pass a gay marriage amendment.
That was essentially what I told FundieDude at work when he promised that if (he said if, but his anger over the issue makes me think he knows it's 'when') SSM is legal in Florida, he'd get his kids in private school.

"OK man, that's your right. But you'd better start saving up for your grandkids to go to private school too."

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
On the plus side, if any of his kids turn out gay ..
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Absolutely not. It isn't fair for the legislature to interfere with what's basically a judicial function.</sarcasm>

Oh, and that's 4 down, 47 to go.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

lool.

Sadly, I envisioned that this would be the watchwordery coined the second that the anti-ssm crowd couldn't pin this one on "activist judges"

As ambyr pointed out, that's exactly what happened initially in California.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't "legislative activists" that got this veto overrided. You can not go anywhere in burlington without seeing groups of people protesting the Govener. My favorite is the 20'X 14' "Shame on Douglas" poster on a random house down town.

You can bet he is not going to get re-elected. He pissed off alot of people.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I don't know anything about Iowa politics, but what I do know is that SSM is a proven means of turning out the vote.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

:snort:

Damn those legislative activists! Always usurping the power of the vocal minority that wishes to discriminate against the slightly smaller minority!

quote:
Well, in that the original complaint about "activist" judges represents a fundamental misapprehension about the nature of our governmental and legal processes, I would say that that general *type* of complaint is not likely to stop. But just wait- once the decision to allow gay marriage is affirmed by the greater population, even if that takes twenty years, people will be bitching about the activist voter, the activist majority, then the majority oppressors, etc. Some Christians (by no means all) are only comfortable while persecuting, or while being "persecuted."
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
I don't know anything about Iowa politics, but what I do know is that SSM is a proven means of turning out the vote.
Burlington is in Vermont, FYI. Vermont politics are, as I understand, a little bipolar. Like a lot of New England, a very progressive urban and suburban population, with some rural conservatives.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
"Some Christians (by no means all) are only comfortable while persecuting, or while being "persecuted.""

That is a bigoted, stupid statement...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Can you falsify it? I'm not particularly invested in the statement. Perhaps it is only "a few," or perhaps it is only "one." Are you saying there are none?

Or perhaps it's upsetting to think that there are only a few? Perhaps you would prefer "most?" And what about yourself?

Or perhaps I can add to it and say, "some people," rather than some Christians. Are Christians people too? Or is there no one in the world who fits that particular description? And how would you characterize anti-ssm activists? Are these people who are neither being put-upon, nor putting-upon others? I find that unlikely.

lobo
Member # 1761

I can only go by my own experiences, but I don't personally know any Christians who are only "comfortable" while being persecuted or persecuting others. Maybe you run in strange circles... It seems implied by your statement that you feel that most Christians fall in that category.

And what about me are you asking? If I fall in that category? I don't believe I do... I certainly have never felt comfortable being picked on. I am quite sarcastic, but I don't think that has anything to do with my religion...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

What I think of when I view that statement is the scores of e-conservatives who repeatedly bemoan how persecuted christians are, and especially the ones who say that they feel persecuted when they express their desire for the persecution of gays.

An abnormally common phenom.

MattP
Member # 10495

I think anyone that ever utters the phrase "War on Christmas" without irony falls neatly into that category. That would include several prominant conservative commentators with substantial followings.
lobo
Member # 1761

That doesn't mean they enjoy being persecuted, it may just mean that they (or their values) ARE being persecuted...
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Or believe they are being persecuted...
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
That doesn't mean they enjoy being persecuted, it may just mean that they (or their values) ARE being persecuted...
By stores selling "Holiday trees" instead of "Christmas trees"? By non-Christian faiths asking to have space next to the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn for their own holiday displays? That's persecution?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
http://theframeproblem.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/oppressed.gif
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:

I get the impression from many of the on-air personalities and even some politicians that (and I could be wrong) they don't think they're doing things correctly unless they're being persecuted, rather in real life or in their imagination. It's like, they think if people agree with you then you must be doing something wrong.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
It seems implied by your statement that you feel that most Christians fall in that category.

It is explicit in my statement that this is not the case. Call me a liar, but don't assign to me something I went out of my way not to say, and don't believe.

quote:
To enjoy is not the same thing as to be comfortable. To be comfortable is also to be familiar with, or inured to something, especially as an alternative to some less accustomed thing. Get a good dictionary, I use one all the time, and it really, really helps.

Here's the thing dude. I choose my words carefully when I choose to make a statement that I know will be disagreed with. Now, when you turn my statement, which had the words "some," and "comfortable," and interpret that to mean "most" and "enjoy," you have missed the mark in reading comprehension by a very wide margin.

And here's why: you want to assign to me beliefs that fit your picture of me as someone who believes the things I believe to some unacceptable and extreme level. So to you, my use of words is just understatement. But to someone who might agree, and might actually feel more strongly than me, my words might be *too* understated, and so might sound like "only a few," instead of "some." Do you see what I'm driving at? The degree to which you misunderstand and misrepresent me is no less than that. I choose my words so that they can carry the meaning I intend. If you make an honest attempt at understanding, and fail, then I can always correct that. But this doesn't feel like an honest attempt- I don't think you put much effort at all into understanding other people.

So next time you feel the need to tell me what I "seem" to be saying, you should probably look at what I am saying, and go from there.

[ April 08, 2009, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

This discussion is pretty pointless without some level of persecution agreed on for the purposes of the discussion.

Salem Witch Trials persecution? Well, obviously not that much persecution.

Some much lower level of something that fits the definition but not the common use of persecution? *shrug* Sometimes I think there is that going on, though of course Christians certainly do it as well. So I can view the statement 'War on Christmas' without thinking it is ironic.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well there is just the historical irony to consider. The Christians have waged many a bloody and pointless war over the centuries, so the "War on Christmas" doesn't really have much of a bite, does it?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:

I get the impression from many of the on-air personalities and even some politicians that (and I could be wrong) they don't think they're doing things correctly unless they're being persecuted, rather in real life or in their imagination. It's like, they think if people agree with you then you must be doing something wrong.
Remind you of any authors you're familiar with?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but I think that has more to do with how one becomes famous than what actual average people think. Acting like you're being persecuted or persecuting others is a classic way to get attention - hence on-air personalities, politicians, or other people whose career entails attracting a lot of attention probably do it a lot more than average people.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Well there is just the historical irony to consider. The Christians have waged many a bloody and pointless war over the centuries, so the "War on Christmas" doesn't really have much of a bite, does it?
That's some insightful historical commentary there!

'The Christians'. Ha.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Point taken- I meant it to sound kind of, I don't know, Biblical or something. But if you consider it to mean "the different Christian peoples," which is what I intended, then it might make more sense.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.