FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PS3, Xbox, or Wii? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PS3, Xbox, or Wii?
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look like it [Frown]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations

I offered $180, but I don't REALLY want it. Wouldn't a new Xbox be better than a two year old PS3?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

...and he wants $250.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Xbox
Resident Evil 5 (included)
Street Fighter II HD Remix (included)
Halo 3 ($37)
Street Fighter 4 ($54)
Orange Box ($20)

Total -- 536 (180 each)

Playstation 3
Street Fighter 4 ($57)
Orange Box ($20)
Metal Gear Solid 4 ($47)

Total -- 274

Hmmm. I offered him $150 for the PS3, but I'm regretting it. What's the price threshold at which you'd buy it?

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know man, based on reading your posts it seems to me like you're more inclined towards the 360. If the PS3 was really a consideration, you'd probably snap it up at $150-180, rather than feeling a vague sense that you might have buyer's remorse. Usually when I get that feeling, it's accurate.

I have both consoles, and for me the only edge the PS3 has that enters into consideration is its bluray player. If I had to choose one system over the other because of a lack of disposable income, I'd go for the 360. I won't list the reasons why, as that's been done enough already, but the main reason is simply because I use the 360 at least thrice as often as I do the PS3.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, just a note: right now, on Steam, the Orange Box is available as a weekend deal for $10.

That's a truly incredible price.

Now, it's PC only, so you'll need to have a real computer. But having played the games on a PC and on a Xbox, I can tell you that PC's the way to go with them, anyway.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that nobody has mentioned the awesome gameplay of Resident Evil 4. I have it on Wii, and it is truly the best game I have ever played, and, if not that, at least in the top 3. This assumes that you enjoy FPS, which some, like TomD, don't.

Again, Resident Evil 4.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Hey, just a note: right now, on Steam, the Orange Box is available as a weekend deal for $10.

That's a truly incredible price.

Now, it's PC only, so you'll need to have a real computer. But having played the games on a PC and on a Xbox, I can tell you that PC's the way to go with them, anyway.

I heard about this too, fastest $10 I ever spent.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

On a side note, Dell's offering the 80GB PS3, brand new, for $300.

But like Fitz said, the fact I'm not going for it means I'm probably not meant for it.

mobester
Member # 12039

- posted      Profile for mobester           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let anyone tell you that the 360 is the better system. The only thing that it has going for it is the fact that eveyone has one. The PS3 is simply superior technology. It comes with wireless connectivity, a blue ray player, blue tooth connectivity,and free online gaming. Plus, once you start playing COD4 you will forget about Halo. If you like sports games, PS3 has by far the best rated games on the market. Plus you will be able to look forward to Grand Turismo 5.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Yup, PS3 has free online gaming, and unfortunately you get what you pay for. 360 also has COD4, along with the better controller and better online. As for sports games, what does the PS3 have that 360 doesn't? MLB The Show is the only series I can think of.

Gran Turismo 5, well, big deal. Look, I like my PS3 just fine, but even the exclusive I was most looking forward to is now also coming out for 360.

Sure, PS3 has a bluray player. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing I use my PS3 for lately.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
At $10 on the PC, The Orange Box is a no-brainer. Portal on its own is worth more than that.

RE4 is great. I talked it up here a fair bit back when I first played it in 2005. The Wiimake seems to have been fairly successful as well, which is cool.

The PS3 does have some sweet exclusives: MGS4, Uncharted, and Valkyria Chronicles are all excellent. Flower is a masterpiece. If you don't have a gaming PC, the 360 has more good exclusives, but for half the price, of the 360, it'd be hard for me to say no to the PS3.

Of course, I've already got both.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

He just contacted me again, asking $200 for the PS3. Again, it comes with an extra controller, Grand Theft Auto IV (and three other unnamed games), two Blu-Ray Pixar movies...

It's SO hard to say no. Totally honestly, even if this broke down, I could send it in to Sony for a $150 repair and still break even with the initial cost of an Xbox BEFORE any games. Minus the cost of the extras, the PS3's practically free.

I might do this. Online play and a comfortable controller isn't worth an extra $300.

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo! Long time!

I'm a fan of my PS3. I have always preferred the Playstation controller to the Xbox controller. It's just my personal preference. I like alot of the Sony published series (Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo) and have thoroughly enjoyed a lot of this generation's PS3 games as well (LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone 2, Wipeout, Pixeljunk Monsters and Encore). I cannot afford both a PS3 and 360 (I already had a Wii), so I got a PS3. I do like the free online. Some people say you get what you pay for but I haven't had any problems with online play. Well, Resistance 2 gave me some headaches but they seem to have worked that out.
The Blu-ray player is nice too.

There are a few 360 exclusive games (Fable 2 and Dead Rising), but mostly there wasn't that much appeal for me to go 360. To be honest with you the failure rate scared me. I understand that the most recent batch apparently fixed this, but it was quite discouraging at the time. I've yet to see any evidence that the Xbox 360 is the far superior gaming machine, regardless of statements made here or elsewhere.

I can't imagine you will be unhappy with either purchase. If you get a PS3, then you can join us on Rock Band from afar.

So, yea.

[ April 29, 2009, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little surprised that he's not eBaying it at this point. He could easily get more than $200 on Craigslist or eBay.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Some people say you get what you pay for but I haven't had any problems with online play.
No, but remember how cumbersome it was for us to set up those races in Wipeout HD last year? Sending text messages back and forth, looking for one another's lobbies, etc? It took five or ten minutes. We could have done it on Xbox Live in about thirty seconds, including the time it takes to launch the game.

Thank goodness that Wipeout finally got an invite patch, but this functionality is global on Xbox Live.

Nonetheless, for $200 with controllers and some games, that PS3 is definitely a good bargain. You lose slight graphical fidelity on crossplatform games and you lose downloadable content for any Valve and Bethesda games that come to the platform. But for the price difference, particularly if you aren't gung-ho about playing Fallout 3, it's pretty hard to say no.

Particularly if it's one of the fully- or partially-backwards-compatible models, because if you don't like it, you could probably resell it for a premium: Sony doesn't make backwards-compatible PS3s anymore.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

I JUST WON A FREE WII!!! YES.

And it looks like there's programs that'll let me stream media (high-def?) to the Wii from my computer. If that's the case, I don't even NEED an Xbox.

I really wanted one, but this is plenty good enough. Plus, the Xbox came out in 2005 -- the next generation can't be more than a year or two away, and this'll hold me up until then.

SMASH BROS.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news, Lalo; can't beat free.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
How'd you win it? Were you the millionth visitor to a website?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
And it looks like there's programs that'll let me stream media (high-def?) to the Wii from my computer. If that's the case, I don't even NEED an Xbox.

The Wii does not support high-definition output of any type. 480p is its maximum output resolution.
Lalo
Member # 3772

I won it in a college raffle, somehow. I'm ALSO getting the receipt with it! So... I might just trade it in for an Xbox and pay the $50 difference in cash.

I'll go see if I can swap it out without having to re-sign a credit card release. If I can, why not? Either way, I win.

Lalo
Member # 3772

Also: http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/transform-your-classic-xbox-into-a-killer-media-center-299809.php

I happen to have been given a free Xbox (classic) with some old crappy games. Definitely worth hacking into a media center... and solves one of my needs for an Xbox 360.

twinky
Member # 693

XBMC is sweet. IIRC, though, the original Xbox is incapable of handling high-definition video content.
Lalo
Member # 3772

Que? Wikipedia says it does. And the XBMC website says it can handle .mkv files, which are usually high-def. One of the comments in the Lifehacker article even says the Xbox upscales to 1080i? Not that it matters, I have a (nice) 36" CRT television that probably doesn't even display that high.

And I just checked -- I can swap in the Wii for $270 in store credit. Since I can get the Xbox 360 Pro on Dell's website for $250 right now, I think I'm going to use the Wii credit to get games and extra controllers. Like so:

Retail
Street Fighter 4 - $60
Halo 3 - $40
Orange Box - $20
Xbox controller with play-and-charge (black) - $60
Xbox controller with play-and-charge (black) - $60
Xbox play-and-charge kit (white) - $20
Total - $260

Newegg:
Mass Effect - $20
XBL 12 months - $40
Total - $60

Are there any games I'm missing? I'd love a Mariokart-esque game on Xbox, but I don't know any. Or a multi-player fighter like Smash Bros. Or really anything that can incorporate three people on a regular basis, including a girl.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

The original Xbox is capable of upscaling video to 1080i, provided you have the component cable kit (which is optional and used to be fairly expensive). This is not true high-def, obviously, but doesn't look that bad.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I'd love a Mariokart-esque game on Xbox, but I don't know any. Or a multi-player fighter like Smash Bros.
Um....You could just not trade in your Wii.
Lalo
Member # 3772

I've considered it. But what do we do when we get bored with Mariokart and Smash Bros.? The Xbox has way more variety in its games... I just wish they were half as fun.
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
you know, you're right. Mario Kart, Brawl, and Wii Sports are the only games we play on the Wii.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, the other option is this: consider the free Wii you just won a way to play Mario Kart and Smash Bros., then spend the money you were planning to spend anyway on an Xbox 360.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
graphical leapfrogs: Gears 1 < MGS4 < Gears 2 < Killzone 2.

What? I don't know the technical side of it, but when you LOOK at these game I think it's closer to Gears 1, Gear 2, Mgs4, Killzone 2.

Other than that I have a 360 and a Ps3, they sit right next to eachother. In 3 years my ps3 has sat there being played twice as much as my 360, my 360 on the other hand has been replaced twice in two years. Never have I gone to play a game and been disappointed because it was going to take another few weeks to get it back.

I really don't care about what most people rate games on, I rate them on how much fun I have. That is why I have a Ps3, gamecube, and a sega. oh, I also have a 360, but that is now the designated Peggle machine [Smile]

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The original Xbox is capable of upscaling video to 1080i, provided you have the component cable kit (which is optional and used to be fairly expensive). This is not true high-def, obviously, but doesn't look that bad.

Huh. I didn't know that. That's pretty cool. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
graphical leapfrogs: Gears 1 < MGS4 < Gears 2 < Killzone 2.

What? I don't know the technical side of it, but when you LOOK at these game I think it's closer to Gears 1, Gear 2, Mgs4, Killzone 2.
Gears 2 renders bigger areas with more active agents in them, not to mention rendering two perspectives on screen at once (splitscreen co-op). The assault derrick sequence with the gigantic draw distance and dozens -- or maybe even a hundred, I couldn't count them -- locust on the screen at once is a good example.

MGS4 only ever renders multiple perspectives in the mission briefings where the environment is tiny and static, and it never matches Gears 2 in scale. In the (totally sweet) Metal Gear sequence, everything else is just scaled down.

MGS4 is also rendered squished at 1024x768 and then stretched to a widescreen aspect ratio; Gears 2 is rendered at 1280x720.

MGS4 looks great and it's a lot of fun, but from a graphical standpoint I do indeed think it was surpassed by Gears 2.

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I love my Wii fitness (though I haven't done anything with it lately since I am desperately trying to finish my master's thesis by next Friday). I also like the crazy rabbit game and my husband loves playing the old games he bought on the wii channel.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Sweet. I officially own a new Xbox 360 Pro with three controllers, three play-and-charge kits, and three games -- Street Fighter 4, Halo 3, and the Orange Box. All for about $105 spent on my part. Not bad.

I made a short list of games that look appealing, but I'm sure I'm missing some. Anything I should definitely get?

Definite buy
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Braid
Bomberman Live
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Red Dead Redemption
Burnout Paradise: Paradise City (closest to Mariokart I can find)

When-it's-cheaper buy
GTA IV
Call of Duty 4 (or 5)
Left 4 Dead

Possible buy
Dead Space
Prototype
Fight Night Round 4
Fallout 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Las Vegas
Gears of War 2
Viva Pinata

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Fallout is a must.

Gears 2 is also awesome, and wheres Assassins Creed?

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Dead Space was a blast, and if you have any semblance of a decent audio setup you will appreciate it all the more. That being said, I finished it once and haven't played it since. Not much replay value on that one. I'd call it a rental.

Rainbow Six: Vegas and Vegas 2 are probably my favorite shooters of the current generation. Vegas 2 especially has a ton of value, from the story mode (co-op) to a ton of terrorist hunt maps (4 player co-op) and multiplayer.

Viva Pinata is just a ridiculous amount of fun. It looks so much like it's geared towards kids that I almost passed it up, and boy am I glad I didn't. Another plus, if you get the first Viva Pinata, is that you should be able to buy it for peanuts. It was discounted almost right off the bat.

Oh, and if you're looking for a fun racing game, you oughta check out Pure. I think it's more akin to Mario Kart than Burnout (also fantastic). It's an ATV racing game, with crazy, fast-paced races, cool environments, massive jumps, and a really neat trick system.

Lalo
Member # 3772

I was actually thinking about Viva Pinata for our girl roommate, since she's openly expressed her unhappiness with our fighting/shooting games. Swear to god, earlier today she was trying to get me to buy the Shrek tie-in game because she "loves the kitty."

What I'd really love is something akin to Mariokart's Battle Mode, where you can pick up missiles and race around a battlefield, shooting at each other. I've never really cared about racing, really. I have no idea how developers haven't cloned the idea over to another console yet.

Failing that, we need a decent party game. We've played so much Rock Band that we're sort of over it, and obviously we can't play 4-player games like Mariokart or Smash Bros. I guess Halo and Bomberman will do for now.

Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
Originally posted by Fitz:
Rainbow Six: Vegas and Vegas 2 are probably my favorite shooters of the current generation. Vegas 2 especially has a ton of value, from the story mode (co-op) to a ton of terrorist hunt maps (4 player co-op) and multiplayer.

I actually just played that with my little cousins in Texas this past Christmas, and we had a blast. It's probably my next purchase once it falls to $20-30. They also love Gears, like T said, but I just don't get it. Since I suck at it, it must be a bad game.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
What I'd really love is something akin to Mariokart's Battle Mode, where you can pick up missiles and race around a battlefield, shooting at each other. I've never really cared about racing, really. I have no idea how developers haven't cloned the idea over to another console yet.

Actually there is Fatal Inertia, but it's kinda bad.....
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Haha, Lalo I suck at gears too but it's still fun to play (at least for me). I don't think people who are good at FPS's should play TPS's....
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got done playing Wii Sports with my almost 5 year old son. We laughed and played so hard. It was fantastic. We also tried boxing and worked up quite a sweat.

My wife, even tho she is Japanese, is anti EVERYTHING video game related--going so far as to throw away a little electronic Spongebob Game Toshi got for Christmas.

I need to sell her on the Wii. I also need to loose 50 pounds.

Can the Wii be used as an actual work out program? We sweated a lot. I saw Wii Fitness games.

Would I be lying or stretching the truth if I were to claim it can be very healthy for our family?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as video games go, it's one of the best social-gathering and "I don't like videogames ooh let me try it" machines.

Nintendo is certainly working on the "it encourges exercise" angle; I know that games like Dance Dance Revolution can definitely be a good cardiovascular work-out, provided you regularly play them. I can't say I exactly know of specific people who say "I played Wii Fit for an hour a day between bites of Subway sandwiches and lost 110 lbs!"

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't say I exactly know of specific people who say "I played Wii Fit for an hour a day between bites of Subway sandwiches and lost 110 lbs!"
I should totally take some "before" pictures and pimp myself out to Nintendo to use for marketing once I am super fit. Then Southpark can do an episode on me and my life will be complete...at which point I can stop Wii, get into WoW, and balloon up into my happy fat self lost in a MMORPG living off of my Nintendo royalties, Cheetos, Diet Coke, and pizza.

hmmm....that last paragraph sounded more sad then I intended.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Wii Fit has been a great way for my fiancee and I to track our weight loss. I really only do the hula-hooping and soccer ball ball game with any frequency, but we both have a blast.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten them, but I saw several other wii fitness type games (EA Sports Active) that are supposed to be great for actually working out. One thing to keep in mind is that it may be a video game, but it is still working out. So, if you refuse to workout, having it in video game form won't necessarily change anything. And of course, you have to actually do the work out to lose any weight. I have just the wii fitness and I use it and feel healthier for it.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.