FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me Find This Thread/News Story (Mayfly)

Author Topic: Help Me Find This Thread/News Story (Mayfly)
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else remember a story from a couple of years ago where a shooter entered a texas church and opened fire on the church goers, only to have one of them draw a concealed weapon and shoot back? The way I remember it the man shooting back killed as many or more of the parishioners than the original shooter did. Someone else remembers it that he just killed the shooter. I remember there being a thread about this here. But I can't find it anywhere on the web, not here, not with google. My google-fu is failing me.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Google "armed church guard".

Or click here:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/10/colorado.shootings/index.html

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I don't think that was it. It wasn't a professional security guard, and I'm moderately sure it was in texas. Also a man.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Does anyone else even remember this?

The way I remember it the shooter entered the church and started shooting. A man who was in the church had a concealed carry permit and a pistol. The man stood up and started shooting back, hitting the shooter but also hitting and killing a little girl in the cross fire. I remember this being in a Texas church and I want to say it was a megachurch but I don't remember for sure. I remember in great detail, but that doesn't mean I'm not completely misremembering it.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember it, and it seems unlikely to me that such a story wouldn't figure prominently in news reports (and search results). But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the story and the thread, so you're probably not crazy. Will poke around.

I don't remember it being in Texas though.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

A clue! Edit - or not, maybe :\.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Yeah, that's not quite it, similar though. This is driving me nuts, glad I'm not quite crazy though. I remember it being Texas really strongly, but again, I could easily be misremembering.
ladyday
Member # 1069

For some reason I'm remembering it being in Missouri. In the thread there was some debate over whether or not one should carry a concealed weapon inside a church, and I remember someone saying that it was perfectly legal to do, but I also remember something about a sign? Or 'there should be a sign'? And I know the sign had something to do with the gun carrying thing - either 'please don't carry guns in this church' or 'just so you know, you can carry a gun here' or something.

Like remembering a weird dream...any of this sound familiar?

Alcon
Member # 6645

Yeah vaguely. Which does suggest the egads Texas thread that was linked to earlier. But I don't see this story anywhere in there...
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even remembering making that thread. It took me a while to figure out why I'd say 'egads', then someone in the thread pointed out it was a dobie.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.