FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Porter's Portage Through Oregon. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Porter's Portage Through Oregon.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally find (and MPH may disagree) Porter's decision to leave Utah and to go live on a farm fascinating. I expect thread drift but at least initially I am hoping that Mr. Portierohead (intentional misspelling) could explain what went into the decision, what the goals are, how long they intend to do it, and how it's panning out.

*Bounce passes ball to Porter*

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens! Porter has been carrying a boat this whole time?!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Good heavens! Porter has been carrying a boat this whole time?!

Surely you aren't suggesting that he would move to Oregon without at least floating down a river and avoiding rocks at least once!?

And yes, perhaps he did carry a canoe or similar sized craft with him to his permanent dwelling place.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um... no. [Razz]

First of all, here's Mary Cate's original thread about it.

Second of all, ask me a question.

*retuns ball*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Um... no. [Razz]

First of all, here's Mary Cate's original thread about it.

Second of all, ask me a question.

*retuns ball*

*dodges ball so that it goes out of bounds.*

Now look what you've done! Thanks for the link though, I'll read it.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I just talked to Mary Cate, and she's planning on coming in here and participating in this discussion, as she's much more able to answer a lot of these questions.

We were just talking last night about how long we want to live here (we're re-negotiating our mortgage right now). Mary Cate feels like she wants to live here for decades. I don't. Now, that's not to say that I want to move away -- I just don't have the desire to stay here like she does.

This whole farm thing is like that for the most part -- it's Mary Cate's baby. She's the one with the dream, she's the one with the drive, and she's the one with the sweat equity. I help out, but it's definitely me helping out.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Porter: Just finished reading your linked thread, it only made me wonder even more how things have been working out. [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know why "Mary Cate" has the user name "beverly". I guess I was gone when the reveal was made, or didn't notice when it happened, but she's always been Beverly to me. Now let's get to the bottom of that.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it only made me wonder even more how things have been working out. [Smile]
Fantastically, thanks for asking! [Smile]

I am where I wanted to be at this point and have learned so much. It has been a roller coaster of elation and despair and has dominated a large portion of my time and attention. My husband and kids have had to deal with a lot because of it, but I like to think they have gotten a lot out of it as well.

It has taken a lot of money (and time, of course!) It is good that I have been able to generate some income with the farm. I don't know if the farm will ever pay for all the money that went into it, but I hope it will get to the point where it pays for its current expenditures. I am not including in this estimate the money we don't have to spend on groceries, which is *really* nice.

The farm helps keeps me active, strong, healthy, and happy. It provides a sense of purpose for our children, not to mention plenty of educational opportunities and enriching experience.

I really enjoy feeling, as a consumer, that I also produce. It might not completely cover my consumption, but it is something. I enjoy feeling that if the world went completely to pot, we might not just survive, but maybe, possibly, even thrive.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Here you go, Hobbes.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's simply because she's a big fan of Beverly Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation, so she took her name for her user name.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Not so much that she's a huge fan, but yeah, that's where the she picked her pseudonym from.
beverly
Member # 6246

Hobbes! :tackle hug:

Story about my username: About the time I fell in love with Hatrack, I had long used "fillycate" for just about everything on the internet. But as I was about to join this community, (and didn't feel comfortable using my own name) I wanted a something that was an actual name, and definitely feminine. My first effort was to snag "Penny" or "Penelope," having just read Alvin Maker. When it was taken, the name "beverly" just came and felt right.

It did bring to my mind Beverly Crusher, with whom I have always felt a bit of kinship. She is an intelligent, logical woman who was also classically feminine: gentle, empathetic, and motherly.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This whole farm thing is like that for the most part -- it's Mary Cate's baby. She's the one with the dream, she's the one with the drive, and she's the one with the sweat equity. I help out, but it's definitely me helping out.

I got the impression that you, at least, enjoyed the opportunity to make stuff to improve the day to day workings of the farm. Like the chicken plucker.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess we got to the bottom of that.

[EDIT: I posted this about 134 posts previous but apparently not quite quick enough...

Hi Beverly! [Wave] Or whatever you name is ... [Wink] Glad to hear your doing well, if you looking for a structural engineer intern up there, let me know!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I got the impression that you, at least, enjoyed the opportunity to make stuff to improve the day to day workings of the farm. Like the chicken plucker.
I do enjoy it. I'm about to head out right now do work on some fencing. These last few weeks Mary Cate and I have been building a beehive. I'm planning on building a cider press or two this summer. It's fun stuff.

But for the most part, I help the little red hen eat the break. It's Mary Cate that milks the goats and takes care of the animals day in and day out.

beverly
Member # 6246

Porter will tell me how wonderful and cute the animals are, but he has never shown one iota of interest in caring for them. I've never made it an issue because I *do* enjoy caring for the animals. I just require his support in other ways. [Wink]

He has, however, shown interest in keeping rabbits. I have told him in no uncertain terms that if he does I will freely tell him how wonderful and cute they are, but I will do nothing whatsoever to care for them. [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

Black Blade, here is a link to my LJ Farm Blog if you are interested:

http://fillycate.livejournal.com/

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Black Blade, here is a link to my LJ Farm Blog if you are interested:

http://fillycate.livejournal.com/

Seeing a space between Black and Blade was actually kinda weird for me. [Smile] Thanks for the link, now I can stop creeping people out by keeping my fascination secret.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly-

Thanks for the link to your live journal. I've been interested in your experiment for awhile (and a bit jealous), so I've really enjoyed reading through some of your posts. I tend to idealize the farm-family lifestyle, and a nice dose of reality about how hard it is does a lot to reground me. Still, someday...

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So, now that you have that background, BB, do you still have any questions?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
So, now that you have that background, BB, do you still have any questions?

Let me make it through Bev's blog and I'll see what's left.
beverly
Member # 6246

SenojRetep, I figure it's like idealizing a lifelong relationship with your chosen beloved. Limitless bliss come to mind. In practice, yes, there is bliss, but there is lots of other stuff too.

Definitely still worth doing what you are passionate about. [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what's a typical weekly menu? How much do you need to supplement farm produce with purchased food?

When you mentioned the costs in a post above, you indicated the farm isn't quite covering its expenses yet but you hope it will someday. What's the fundamental limitation? Is it the product you produce or the scale of the farm or simply that you'd need to invest more in physical capital than you're currently able to?

Sorry if any of that is nosy. I haven't fully explored the live journal entries, so if you want to say "I've answered that elsewhere," I'll go looking.

Also, I love the analogy of choosing a farm-life to choosing a spouse. You get them, warts and all, but somehow even the warts can seem beautiful (sometimes).

As for passion, my desire for a farm is still in the very much platonic stage, and I don't know if it'll ever progress past that.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

We produce all of our own meat, milk, and eggs. We have a garden, and in the right season, it supplements our food, but it isn't really big enough (or productive enough) to make a serious dent in our year-round grocery bill.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents and I had this dream of living like that. We called it our Smith & Hawken life, because we loved the catalog then, the photography, and the wonderful tools. For me, at least, it was always only a dream. Actual manual labor in the garden turned out to be really hard work and not at all idyllic like the pictures. [Smile]

This is what this reminds me of. I'm glad you're living the dream, and I love hearing about what it's like. It has a lasting appeal for me, though I know I can't do it, though we even went so far as to start looking for land to buy, once.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
When you mentioned the costs in a post above, you indicated the farm isn't quite covering its expenses yet but you hope it will someday. What's the fundamental limitation?
First, there is the initial start-up costs, which for us are still happening. There is the fact that in order to generate large amounts of income, you have to operate on an industrial scale--which we have no intention of doing.

Maintenance in the form of feed and care for the animals and repair of existing equipment can really add up. What we can make can cover that and then some, maybe. That's if we have a good year and we really are done making new fenced in paddocks, new beehives, new hoophouses, barns, watering equipment etc.

Could we cut those costs completely and do it "Little House on the Prairie" style with all our own sweat? Yes, but we'd have to have workhorses, help from neighbors, and literally work from sunup to sundown. If it were about survival only, that's what we'd do. But it's not, not at this point anyway. Plus, we don't know enough about the "old ways".

Keep in mind that while I *might* be hardcore enough to do things this way, Porter would have to be invested %100 to make it happen. I could *not* do it alone.

This leads into your second question (the first you asked):

quote:
So, what's a typical weekly menu? How much do you need to supplement farm produce with purchased food?
We could eat a lot more from just the farm, but my family is already revolting against me. When Porter sneaks off to burger king because he just can't take it any more, I joke that he is being unfaithful to me.

Porter is picky about food, and for him it must be savory and well cooked. Alas, he is not willing to cook himself, to spend the time it takes doing it or to learn to do it, so this provides a problem. Yet, I am unable to keep from feeling guilty about not fulfilling his food desires. It is a quandary to be sure.

Part of the problem is that I work so hard on the farm, I don't have *time* do to much cooking. This isn't a problem if we eat the same thing every day, either crockpotted chicken or goat with a side dish of potatoes or rice and some veggie or fruit. Followed up by soup made from the bones. But again, the guilt about fulfilling food desires and the unwillingness to cook.

I like the analogy too. Of course with my actual beloved, there is the fact that Porter was willing to let this happen at all. I say I dragged him out here kicking and screaming, but the truth is, he loved me enough to let this happen to the extent it has. You know what they say when one spouse wants a child or pet and the other doesn't that you go with the one who doesn't. I got my farm, and I am willing to put up with a lot to keep it.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
" When Porter sneaks off to burger king because he just can't take it any more..."

...time to get some minicows for your minifarm.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I want a minicow! I wonder if the rancher we buy our meat from would consider switching...the steaks we get from him now are ridiculously big. I'd like some more reasonably sized t-bones and ribeyes.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the name of the breed, but my friends have had small cattle for a few years. They don't have a proper farm, more like large gardens and a few cattle. Some cute pics.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:

But as I was about to join this community, (and didn't feel comfortable using my own name) I wanted a something that was an actual name, and definitely feminine.

Ironically, I had been wanting something that wasn't... [Grumble]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But, why, Elaine?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Rivka, please help me out here. I'm looking for an emoticon that has squinty, narrowed eyes, and expresses irritation.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We can't use foreign emoticons here.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Rats!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So, mph, this is a really really outdated question, but I remember reading some time ago about you lying on your back with a laptop to work because your back (I think it was your back?) was in such bad shape. Sounds like you are healed if you're making stuff to make the farm work. Did you have surgery, therapy, just get better -- y'know, nosy questions like that.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I chose to not have surgery, and it healed on its own. If I were to do it all over again, I would get the surgery and hopefully heal faster.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I chose to not have surgery, and it healed on its own. If I were to do it all over again, I would get the surgery and hopefully heal faster.

Would you like to do it all over again? *picks up hammer*
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad to hear that it healed, even if it was a long process.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:

Maybe. But everyone I know who has had the kind of back injury you had and had surgery has had the problem come back worse a few years later, due to the scar tissue.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

How recent did they have the surgery? Was it one of the ones with the micro-incision?
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. 5-10 years ago, and I don't know.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I would guess not. The neurosurgeon I went to had only recently finished her education, and she was the only person in the area (the state?) doing the new ones, which are supposed to have much less scar tissue.
rivka
Member # 4859

Good to know.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister in law has had multiple back surgeries and they didn't help. It seems like everyone I know who has back surgery says it didn't help. My mom had back surgery a couple of years ago and she wasn't better. I asked her if she felt better or worse since the surgery about 3 months after and she said worse. Then the doctor ordered physical therapy for her and she got much better. I totally think the physical therapy should have come first, and if it did she likely would never have needed the surgery.

So because of all these experiences, I'm quite skeptical of back surgery. I think you did the right thing.

The farm is really interesting. I have this urge to try to grow vegetables again, even though the last time I tried it, it didn't work. I just don't think I have enough sun. But the idea of farm life really appeals to me. The actuality of it sounds like more hard backbreaking work than I could manage.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Here's what the neurosurgeon said to me:

Barring complications, in two years there will be no difference whether you had the surgery or not. It will heal on its own. In one year, it will be better with the surgery.

And while this type of surgery has low odds for complication, there's always that chance.

quote:
But the idea of farm life really appeals to me. The actuality of it sounds like more hard backbreaking work than I could manage.
What you need is a farm to visit. Or patronize. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

I believe that. However, the key words are:
quote:
Barring complications

It makes sense to me that surgery would be far more likely to have complications that non-surgery in this case. Scar tissue build-up is an all-too-common complication with back surgeries.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
It makes sense to me that surgery would be far more likely to have complications that non-surgery in this case.
Yup. Which is why I decided against surgery.
rivka
Member # 4859

And why I think that was a very smart choice, although I am sorry such a painful one.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this has been covered in your LJ, but have you guys considered building greenhouses? They're actually pretty simple and cheap to build, and they could generate some vegetables for your personal consumption in the winter months, and maybe even help you grow some exotic plants in the summer.

I was in Iceland last summer (a few days after the solstice) and I saw a lot of areas out in the countryside that had "greenhouses" (though they were more like pvc pipes, plastic curtains, and some sort of heat trapping plastic/glass cover) - because it's too cold to grow vegetables otherwise, even in the summer. It occurred to me that greenhouses might be a good way to utilize all the extremely northern land in Canada and Europe, once you can pay back the construction costs.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.