FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crafty people -- lettering -- mayfly

Author Topic: Crafty people -- lettering -- mayfly
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody explain to me what this is used for, and how?

[ April 10, 2009, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pressing heavy paper into a stencil to create custum embossing and applying "rub on" stencils for glass etching are the two things that come to mind.

Oh, and applying gold leaf.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
When I do leather carving, I use something like that to press the design into the leather before carving it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes used for applying transfer type - characters in a variety of typefaces that you rub onto a surface - a photo, an illustration board, etc. Not sure of the history of transfer letters - in school we used them to make mechanicals but only in a 'this is what we used to have to do back in the day' kind of way. Once we learned how and developed a proper appreciation for our elders, we used the computer [Smile] .

Smallest tip is for little letters, details, and edges, biggest tip is for getting the bulk of the letter down if it's large. Sometimes you can use the ball on the end of the biggest tip like you would use the littlest tip, if you're just doing an itty bitty serif or something. The transfer letters are on paper or very thin plastic sheets - you just cut them, lay them out face down, then use the burnisher to rub them into place. It's important to firmly rub every single bit of the letter. Sometimes you can tell what you've rubbed because the material will change color, other times it's hard to see.

I've seen it used for the embossing and the gold leaf, like dkw said, but have never done it myself. Looked like a similar concept though.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.