FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Amazon Yanks Sales Rankings of Gay-Themed Books (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Amazon Yanks Sales Rankings of Gay-Themed Books
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The problem, I think, with assuming it was deliberate is that there is no apparent reason to suspect Amazon (by which I mean any representative chunk of its management) would have thought this was a good business decision.

Right. I think this was a bad call by someone lower down on the food chain.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Even better, Simon Bradshaw's blog talks about the fact that one coding error causing this massive problem is an indication that Amazon's structure may open them up to more problems in the future.
quote:
I don't think for a second this was an evil reactionary plot by Amazon to purge itself of LGBT publications or to appease the Religious Right. Whilst that, if true, would have been very bad for Amazon's reputation, I think the actual explanation may in the long run be even worse. If it turns out that such an embarrassing incident could have arisen from a single coding error, and that Amazon's infrastructure allowed the error to pass undetected, propagate around the world and then take days to fix, then it rather makes the world's best-known online ordering brand look like a massive house of cards. At the very least, it will be an object lesson both in scalability of architectures and in corporate image management in the age of Twitter.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "coding error" is slightly misleading. It was a cataloging error - it was misapplied metadata.

I think "house of cards" is rather overstating the case. What it indicates is that Amazon apparently does not have strict process controls for all metadata changes, and that in some cases important application logic hinges on that metadata. I really doubt there are many cases other than "adult" categorization where anything as important as inclusion in general search hinges on the category, and you can bet that Amazon is implementing the missing process controls now.

I suppose this could relate to scalability, in that it shows that you shouldn't have ALL of the following:
-uncontrolled metadata management
-important application functionality tied to metadata
-be really big

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.