FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My dad is having open heart surgery tomorrow (thoughts and prayers needed) (updated)

Author Topic: My dad is having open heart surgery tomorrow (thoughts and prayers needed) (updated)
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad went to the hospital on Sunday night to have his appendix removed. During his examination, they found a tumor the size of an egg in his heart and transferred him to another hospital that is better suited for heart surgery. They removed his appendix yesterday night, and he goes into surgery tomorrow to remove the tumor.

The only thing that's giving me hope is that the doctor said the tumor is benign, and that they usually don't find out about these sorts of tumors until it kills the patient, so we're very lucky they found it. But, despite all that, I've had a really rough few days.

I'll know more tomorrow night, but until then, my family could use some prayers and good thoughts.

Thanks,

Sam.

[ April 15, 2009, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Epictetus ]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
They do amazing things in hospitals. Courage!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
My prayers are with your family. I hope y'all are doing okay. Hugs!
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope things will go well tomorrow for all of you!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to focus on the positive - they have found it, and they can take care of it. I know any type of surgery is stressful on the family.

You will definitely have some good thoughts and prayers headed your way. Try to let us know something whenever you can.

*hugs*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers for your dad, your family, and the doctors.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, I hope all goes well for him and you.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought and prayers for you and your family. Please post an update when you feel you can.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very glad that the tumor was discovered, even if it took an appendectomy to do it. I shall certainly direct my thoughts and a prayer to your dad.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Odd... Fortune, to say the least.

I hope the tumor removal goes smoothly and his recovery is swift and without complication.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, it sounds like he is in good hands.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Sam & family)))
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it. [Smile]

I just got back from the hospital. My dad is out of surgery and in stable condition.

The tumor was in his right ventricle, and considerably larger than an egg: about 2 1/2" in diameter, a little bigger than a billiard ball. All I can think is that it was damn lucky he needed his appendix out.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
You can .. have a tumor .. the size of a billiard ball .. inside a ventricle

gweh. god, I'm glad he's okay it seems!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, Sam! That's nuts. That reminds me of my sister, sort of. She had a kindney stone one time which gave her grief, but if she hadn't of had it, doctors wouldn't have found the syst(sp?) on her ovaries (sorry, if this is too much information for anyone, but girls do have ovaries).
So I guess it was a blessing in disguise that your dad had his appendix taken out. At least, that's what I got out of your story.

Alex

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief, that's huge! I can't imagine having anything that big growing inside me (that ain't `posed to, anyway), much less in my heart! Great that he's OK:)

You'll have to keep us updated on whether or not he develops superpowers or something. Even if it's only, like, a superheart or something. Maybe his ticker'll be so strong that his resting HR becomes, like, 15bpm or something, heh.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is huge- I am glad to hear the surgery went well!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Sam, but I just can't help myself right now. I feel that I can say this being a childhood friend and the fact that your dad is now in a stable condition... anyways, here goes.

So I guess the doctors did some Easter Egg hunting of their own, eh?

...I know, I know. That was terrible, but I couldn't help myself when I saw "sunday" and "egg" in the same post.

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Splendid news, Sam. Keep us updated.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.