FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Generic Newengland names?

Author Topic: Generic Newengland names?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Now you know those little towns and villages with people sometimes inhabit dressed with the black clothes and buckles? Usually as a part of thanksgiving memes? Like I think Puritans is what they're called back in early colonial days, what are the kind of names you'ld name villages/towns/cities in that era for that region?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could look at a map of New England...?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That would be cheating and wouldn't involve Hatrack in my latest whim.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Next time you get a whim to ask these sorts of questions, may I recommend a different website . They're new.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Hey, that looks pretty slick dantesparadigm! Do you think they would be a good investment?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the title, and thought, "Hey, I live in Newengland - this might be interesting!"

But I can't spend time parsing the original post to obtain meaning out of it; taxes are due today.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

However, speaking of New England names...I live within an hour's drive of all the following places:

Norway
Sweden
Lisbon
Paris
China
Mexico
Peru
Carthage

It takes me a couple hours to get to:

Moscow
Belfast
Madrid

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Simple, look at a map of Old England. Pick a town.

EDIT: Voila!

-Bok

EDIT: I usually never make that mistake

[ April 15, 2009, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:

Viola!

Q: What's the difference between a viola and an onion?

A: No one cries when you chop up a viola.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Adjective (Random Letters or Name)-suffix

Adjective: New, Little, South

Random Letters: Lon-, Hamp-, Coven-, Smith-, William-

Suffix: -shire, -ton, -don, -borough, -ly, -try

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want the name of an actual colony town or just something that sounds like it so you don't have to learn about a real place. If you are looking for the former, try "Plimouth".

If the lastter, do what Bokonon said. Most New England towns are names of places in England or named after a Native American tribe. The towns founded in that time still retain their names today. The ones that are really old are now the big cities. Like Boston.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.