FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book recommendations

Author Topic: Book recommendations
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been having a hard time getting Tova to read books, rather than comic books. Tonight, I finally found out why. It's the action and adventure and excitement. She's in third grade, but she is definitely not a Little House on the Prairie girl. The only part she liked of The Secret Garden was the sneaking around and danger of getting caught.

Right now, I'm reading her Dragonsong, and she's really into it (Menolly just watched the Hatching during Threadfall, which was pretty exciting), but McCaffery's language is a bit on the advanced level for her.

She'd probably like science fiction, since her favorite comics are the old Legion of Superheroes ones from before the Five Years Later story-line, but she's really into swords and swashbuckling. The other day, she brought home The Indian in the Cupboard from school, and slammed through all 227 pages in a day.

I'm going to pull out my copy of Escape to Witch Mountain tomorrow, which is all chase-y and danger-y, but I was wondering if I could get some recommendations here. Any thoughts?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Castle in the Attic - the book rocked my imagination and made me love reading as a kid.

The Animorphs series was also amazing. I used to pound those on shabbos.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
The Redwall series might be good. Quite swashbuckling at times. Brian Jacques also has a few other books that are pretty good if I remember correctly. Something about a Flying Dutchman. I haven't touched the books in years, but I loved them when I was younger.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC there are several sequels to Indian in the Cupboard too.

What about some of the Jules Verne books (20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in 80 Days)?

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed The Borrower Series.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Among the Hidden? It's an excellent sci-fi series, probably appropriate for 10-13 year olds.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the Matthew Looney books when I was about that age or a little younger.

And the Big Little Books are a good bridge between comics and conventional books, when you can find 'em...

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. The first is Dealing With Dragons. I'm pretty sure I read them in 3rd grade.

I totally second Among the Hidden and Castle in the Attic.

You might find some good reconmendations here

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Swiss Family Robinson! I distinctly remember recommending that my teacher recommend that the whole class read it since I liked it so well.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
va_treehugger
Member # 12028

- posted      Profile for va_treehugger   Email va_treehugger         Edit/Delete Post 
At that age, my kids liked the Harry Potter books (but I believe book 4 and on get very dark). They were always reading something.

Sometimes, when I hoped to get the classics in them, (but the actual books were too large and intimidating) we would get audio cassettes or CDs. The spoken word sometimes was a little easier to absorb than the written. They enjoyed such things as Around the World in 80 Days, the 3 Muskateers, Sherlock Holmes, The Illyid(sp?) and the Oddessy, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, GWTW, Alaska, etc. Perfect for a summer vacation.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Rick Riordan
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter, if she hasn't read those already.

I've heard good things about the "Artemis Fowl" series, though I've yet to read any myself.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys? Though you may want to consider which version.

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain cycle.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Arcia Chronicals if she can read Russian, they're probably very good.

Also, Artemis Fowl == AWESOME, Die Hard meets OurElvesAreBetter.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Artemis Fowl. I'd also recommend The Egypt Game -- I remember it being pretty tense. There's also a sequel to it that I never read.

Island of the Blue Dolphins was pretty good too, but (and this is a distant memory of when I read it) I think the language might be a bit dry.

Hatchet and its sequels are also really great. Gary Paulsen is pretty much a hit.

I really loved Bearstone and its sequel, Beardance, I was 12 or so before I read them but I don't think they'd be beyond the capabilities of a 9-10 year old.

James and the Giant Peach is a classic, and Matilda was a particular favorite of mine.

The Black Pearl by Scott O'Dell is also great.

Also anything by Judy Bloom.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Borrower series.

The Phantom Tollbooth is petty good.

If you can get it in the US, Emily Rodda's Rowan of Rin series are a great adventure series, and good for that age group. As are the Deltora Quest books.

[ April 17, 2009, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
Lloyd Alexander's Prydain cycle.

I was going to recommend that. He also has the Vesper Holly series which is sort of a YA Indiana Jones with a female protagonist.

The Dark is Rising sequence is another favorite. You also might try the Robin McKinley Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword.

<edit>Also, swords and swashbuckling makes me think of Treasure Island, Black Arrow, Kidnapped and other Robert Louis Stevensen novels. Also, Swiss Family Robinson is pretty adventurous.</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... that's a lot to look at. Thanks. I'll definitely check a lot of those out.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Dark is Rising was made into a movie with InvisiWho right?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

A movie was made. Whether it actually reflected any of the book's content is entirely up for debate.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

There was no movie from Dark is Rising. That was just a horrible dream.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
In the end it wasn't even called 'The Dark is Rising'. That was just the subtitle.

The title of the movie was 'The Seeker'. Any similarities to the book seemed to be entirely coincidental.
The makers of the movie (may they be cursed unto the seventh generation) were clearly not fans of their source material.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my voice to:

Redwall
Animorphs (easy to read and follow, but with enough "grown up" themes to be thoughtful)
Enchanted Forest Chronicles
The Blue Sword & The Hero and the Crown
The Dark is Rising series

And I'll add:

The Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen
Pretty much anything by Bruce Coville
Anything by Gordon Korman published before, oh, about 1995 (he jumped the shark in a terrible way)
Castle in the Attic and sequel, The Battle for the Castle

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Pit Dragon may be too advanced for a 3rd grader...if McCafferey's stuff is, then I think this one will be too. Maybe not...but check it out first, Lisa.

Great books, but 3rd grade is only 8 or 9, and I think maybe 2-3 years too young for that trilogy.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought of Jane Yolen as being of the younger YA sort, but you might be right.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.