FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Absurd used book prices

Author Topic: Absurd used book prices
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm heading to Disney in 2 weeks, and I was wanting the book Passporter's Treasure Hunts at Walt Disney world, to have something new to do on this trip. Passporter is out of stock at their website, and the only copies available online are $100 for a used book. Seriously? Do people really pay $100 for a used copy of a book that was only $10 new?
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If they really, really want it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
andi, I'm tempted to buy it if I could turn it around for $100, but maybe you should try to snap up the $8.91 copy here
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
andi, I'm tempted to buy it if I could turn it around for $100, but maybe you should try to snap up the $8.91 copy here

Thanks for the try google-fu master, but that copy is apparently "no longer available." Why it's still listed is beyond me, but whatever.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Caching.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. Well, should've guessed you'd checked at least the top two used book sites.

maybe this one?
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/bks/1127341600.html
(you'd have to talk the seller into shipping, unless you happen to live near huntsville)

[ April 17, 2009, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like there's a new edition coming out in June, not that this helps you any...
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What about this one?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Thanks but that's a different book. Passporter has a whole series.
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
What about this one?

They're sold out too.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, Powell's lists it as "backorder" as well.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
What about this one?

They're sold out too.
Dang, they should put on the description that it's backordered.

I assume you've already checked with your local libraries to see if they have any copies you could check out...

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I'm currently attempting to get it via interlibrary loan. I had a place, some online textbook rental place that I thought had it, placed my order and everything. Then I get an email saying they're backordered and a refund has been issued.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[url= http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Marx%2C+Dave&title=PassPorter's+Treasure+Hunts+at+Walt+Disney+World+(PassPorter)&lang=en&st=xl&ac=qr]BookFinder.com[/url] turns up a fair number of copies under $100 (listed prices include shipping).
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

They're pretty much all not available unless you're willing to pay a really high price for the book. Maybe not $100 but still several times the cost of the book.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.