FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's an empty place in my days now...

Author Topic: There's an empty place in my days now...
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
...that I finished Angel. Last night I did a marathon of the last four episodes of Angel, and now I find myself here with a paper to write, some homework to do, and no more Whedon goodness to distract me. This marks the eighth month of my Buffy / Angel extravaganza, and I have the same emptiness that I get when I finish a long series of books.

I thought the last season of Angel was the best. I had really grown to like the characters (Wesley, Fred, and Spike in particular), and the show sure played with my emotions there at the end. The end felt rushed however, like they had to really quickly fit the rest of the story into a few episodes.

I guess my only resort now it to turn to the comics. They're worth reading, right?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally like the Buffy ones, though the last few have been pretty slight. Didn't get into the Angel series, though -- partly the art, partly the writing, partly that I don't think Angel translates as well into comics. (A lot of the appeal of Angel, I think, had to do with the likeability of the actors; without them around, the comics have a harder time making me care about the characters.)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that you call four episodes a marathon. That was my regular daily consumption when I was going through the Angel DVDs. I <3 Angel.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

You can translate the word marathon as a loosening of my otherwise strict policy of at the most 2 episodes a day. I consumed Buffy episodes at such a high rate and finished the show so quickly that I've learned to pace myself. Except for series finalies.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I felt like Angel ended perfectly- brave warriors rushing forward to fight the impossible fight. I don't really want to see more. I enjoyed the show and the characters, I just felt like the ending was a good place to end and anything else would be downhill.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I liked Angel's end, too. The comic books have an interesting take on how things happened after that... but enough's already happened to the characters on the show that I don't think that the comics can really do anything satisfying with them. The issues mostly have them taking turns as to who's dead/alive/damned/betraying/betrayed...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on season two right now probably for a similar reason. After marathon-ing through Buffy for a few hours every night for a few weeks, I remember not knowing what to do with my free time after I got off work.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working my way pretty steadily (read: five episodes a day) through Buffy, perhaps at the expense of my studies. Ah, will power- why have you forsaken me?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I paced myself last semester to finish the last episode of Buffy the night of my last final. I then gave the DVDs to my brother, who finished the whole series in about two months. He finished the last season up in two weeks so that he "could get back to his life."

I then bought the DVD set for a gift for my friends (they're twins), and one of them finished up the last two seasons in one week, so that he could "return to normal functionality."

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
I guess my only resort now it to turn to the comics. They're worth reading, right?

They are. But if I can make a suggestion, you might want to try WaTchers. Frankly, as much as I like the comics, I like the continuation in WaTchers much more.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.