FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wife Swap

Author Topic: Wife Swap
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually pay any attention to reality TV, but it turns out that I've met the farming/folk music couple from last Friday's episode. So has Raymond, but he may not remember them. Emily certainly would, though.

DeLaura Padovan (Or Delora, I'm finding it spelled both ways) and Steve Hickman were staff members at a dance camp that my family went to several times starting in the '90s. Both very nice people, and they live a very environmentally friendly lifestyle.

I have not seen the episode. I heard about it from my brother, because Delora and Steve were on it. He said it was excrutiating to watch, in part because he knew the participants, but also because of the conflict in question. This is a really socially important topic.

Did anyone here see it? Care to comment?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I loathe that show even more than most "reality TV".

Article on this "swap".
Another.

Short video.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that episode. Were they the folks who live old skool all out in the woods and stuff? They were cool except for using the same bath water and having candles and oil lamps IN A WOODEN HOUSE.
But they were way cooler than the other family. The woman she switched with was soooooo rude.
At least Delora and company will be prepared if the country becomes DOOMED and collapses.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
From the first article Rivka linked:

quote:
Meanwhile, Shannon Nicole Burroughs "loves big diamonds, big furs and big hair," according to an ABC press release. She's a fan of cosmetic surgery, and spends roughly 90 minutes each morning applying makeup.

She and husband Shannon Michael are raising their 6-year-old twins in a "wow house" in New Jersey, designed around a high-wattage chandelier whose glow can be seen from the street.

I'd find it so weird to have the same first name as my husband.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:

Yeah, I noticed that and had the same reaction.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Were they the folks who live old skool all out in the woods and stuff?
Yup.

quote:
They were cool except for using the same bath water
Have you never said "Hey hon, the bath water's still hot, you want me to leave it in?

quote:
Ugh. I loathe that show even more than most "reality TV".
Never having seen it, I can't comment on this particular show, but remember, I didn't have any broadcast reception capability for about 10 years, by choice.

Nevertheless, I find this concept fascinating. It sounds like at least three of them learned to accept something about the other family.

I'm curious, from anyone who saw it, did the producers of the show appear to have any bias one way or the other? I tried to find a clip online, and it sounded like they were making a huge deal over the fact that Delora doesn't shave her armpits. How sensationalist was this?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
My brother says he thought this was kind of a weird way of hyphenating their names, only it was their first names.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they do that in Japan, but people WASH first because bathing in the same water, which is cooler.
It is an interesting show on a sociological level, and there used to be a simular show on Fox only with money involved. They are rather interesting. But who cares if Delora doesnt shave her pits? I don't either... But no one sees my pits anyway.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some folks who were on the show several years ago. They appreciated the money, but said the editing done for the show made everything pretty fake -- making teensy stuff seem like big arguments, etc.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
This "famous" mother from Wife Swap lives in a nearby town and I've seen her around the area quite a bit.

"God Warrior" freaks out!!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Not Wife Swap, Trading Spouses.

I feel bad for her. She lost her daugher and she was only 25.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard about that. Wow. I've never had a good personal experience with the woman but its always terrible for a family to lose a child.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
They were cool except for using the same bath water
Have you never said "Hey hon, the bath water's still hot, you want me to leave it in?
>_<

While I can understand -- and appreciate -- the thought of sharing a bath, that is not what I would have in mind. [Razz]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
She lost her daugher and she was only 25.
Who are you referring to? The "God Warrior" woman?

quote:
While I can understand -- and appreciate -- the thought of sharing a bath, that is not what I would have in mind. [Razz]
Yeah, well there's a different motivation there.

Up until a certain age, my brother and I always left the bathwater in for each other. It's such a waste of hot water otherwise. Eventually I stopped bathing and now pretty much only take showers. Much harder to share the water that way.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

The God Warrior woman's daughter was only 25. Poor her.

But it's much worse in this book about foster care where all of the children had to share the same nasty bath water. I reckon they'd at least try to keep the bathwater somewhat clean...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I bathed the baby in the bath water I had just used last night.

But then it had shampoo in it, so I drained it before putting her older sisters in (they share a bath.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Eventually I stopped bathing and now pretty much only take showers.

Ditto, actually.

And on those rare occasions that I actually do take a bath, the water's usually cold by the time I'm done soaking.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Not Wife Swap, Trading Spouses.

I feel bad for her. She lost her daugher and she was only 25.

"Wife Swap" sounds like a show that'd be on HBO or late night Cinemax, and probably wouldn't be meant for the eyes of children...
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was thinking, rivka. I'd NEVER say "Honey, the water's still hot. You want it?" - not because I'm philosophically opposed (I'll go first, not second. [Razz] ) but because there's no way I'm going to take a bath but get out when the water's still hot.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually run more hot water at least once during my baths, so when I get out it's often still warm-- from the second or third infusion of hot water. (Our bathroom and tub are so designed that it loses heat waaay too quickly, especially in winter.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

My wife wants the water to be scalding hot. I couldn't get in if I tried. So by the time she gets out, it's just about right for me. Even if it wasn't, usually a little hot water will bring it back to temperature, and you still don't have to run a whole bath.
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Was this the episode where the country family had lots of pets? Like 25 or so? If so, City Lady only let them keep 3 and put the rest in a "pet hotel" for the rest of her stay. County Lady freaked out! "They are part of our family!"

Good show!

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I don't recall any reference to pets. I still haven't seen the show.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.